Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AcousticSamples - VReeds Wurly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the email this morning and did a quick listen. It sounds great! I have V Tines which is my favourite Rhodes package in MacOS so it appears AcousticSamples, with their combination of samples and modelling, is really on to something here. I also I really like that everything runs on UVIWorkstation!

Here for the gear.

I haven't fully warmed up to V Tines yet. I'm still really digging on Canterbury Suitcase. But the original Acoustic Samples Wurli is far and away my favorite, over Broken Wurli, Nord, Scarbee, and pianoteq. I'll have to check this out but I can't imagine that they've improved much over the original one.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Agreed that the Acoustic Samples Wurlie is incredible - if any Wurlie owners try out the VReeds, I'd be real interested in your takes on whether it's worth the upgrade.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

if any Wurlie owners try out the VReeds, I'd be real interested in your takes on whether it's worth the upgrade.

I've been playing both my real and my Accoustic Samples Wurly this week (tracking Gary Alan for UMG) and it is far and away the best virtual Wurly (imho). I'll have a copy of the V-Reeds probably sometime tomorrow and will be back with my impressions quickly. It's no secret I've been a big fan of Arnaud's work in the past. I'll be surprised if I'm not impressed with this new instrument.

Frickin' Awesome!

They have totally raised the bar on their own (previously) best sounding virtual Wurly. There is so much here in terms of dialing in sounds. The presets are ridiculous, the 200 to 200A is a flippable option. I could get the sounds of just about every Wurly I've ever played from my old tube model, to the mellow school pianos to the cranked amp versions I love for Rock records. I'm blown away!

I swear, if they hadn't already sent me a copy to try, I'd have emptied my piggy bank and bought this thing immediately.

If you love Wurlys, and dug their first effort, grab it now while it's at half price. If you don't own their earlier one but want the best emulation out there, it's worth every penny imho.

Frickin' Awesome!

They have totally raised the bar on their own (previously) best sounding virtual Wurly. There is so much here in terms of dialing in sounds. The presets are ridiculous, the 200 to 200A is a flippable option. I could get the sounds of just about every Wurly I've ever played from my old tube model, to the mellow school pianos to the cranked amp versions I love for Rock records. I'm blown away!

I swear, if they hadn't already sent me a copy to try, I'd have emptied my piggy bank and bought this thing immediately.

If you love Wurlys, and dug their first effort, grab it now while it's at half price. If you don't own their earlier one but want the best emulation out there, it's worth every penny imho.

Thanks for the mini-review, Steve! I can't wait to actually check it out.

I had to wait until home to check my own list, and I sold the earlier AS library earlier this year so wouldn't be eligible for the discount anymore anyway, but I think probably I'm settled for Wurly now as the two from Purgatory Creek are so satisfying. Both a 140b and a 200a were sampled for that collection. Not sure if anyone has yet compared this new one to Purgatory Creek.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It does sound quite good. I would have to have a copy of it to evaluate in order to make a true judgment, but I think its approach to the vibrato might be slightly more realistic than Purgatory Creek's. I prefer the eight velocity layers in the latter to the continuous velocity that is modeled vs. sampled in the AcousticSamples V-Reeds Wurly, but it will probably get tweaked for improvement over time. It's a good price for what it is regardless.

I've always wondered why the Wurly doesn't get as much attention as the Rhodes; there's FAR more competition for the latter in high quality sample libraries. Maybe that is starting to change.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Strange thing is .... i totally dig a Wurlitzer on records, but i have played a couple live in the past and never clicked with it contrary to Rhodes and Yamaha CP70.

Totally on me of course.

The Acoustic Samples wurli (original) sounded like the real thing live so i ended up buying the Sonic Couture broken wurli that i liked very much.

Even it"s dirty side is well behaved between a certain scope, whereas Neo Soul"s Wurli is all over the place from default ( to my ears).

I have waves electric piano"s and the whole Neo Soul package which both are to exagerated in 'supposed fatness and realness".

I hardly used any of them after a week.... to much artifacts , raw samples and detuning etc.

Ii bought the Scarbee EP88s instead.....buttery smooth and clean without being thin whatsoever.

Question since i prefer clean strong sampled products over dirty raw material that others may consider 'real".

Where does Acoustic Samples come ?

Can it do polished , tightly tuned and gentile too ? If anything i wrote makes any sense to others.......anyways...

The Acoustic Samples wurli (original) sounded like the real thing live so i ended up buying the Sonic Couture broken wurli that i liked very much.

i prefer clean strong sampled products over dirty raw material that others may consider 'real".

Okay, I'm confused.

The orig Acoustic Samples sounded like the real thing, so you bought something else?

You prefer clean over dirty but preferred Broken Wurli which is supposed to be a sample of dirtier?

Either there's a typo somewhere, or I'm not getting exactly what you're looking for.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To answer someone's question, the original AS Wurly indeed sounds remarkably like a real Wurly. The VReeds sounds remarkably like a bunch of different real Wurlys.

Clean, dirty, tonally consistent to full of flaws. I got it sounding just like my old 126 Tube Wurly in a matter of minutes. I got it sounding like my Frankenstein session Wurly through my 60 Concert amp in no time. Getting a mellow, direct box sound took no time at all. This is great for me, because I can tailor the sound to the track I'm cutting with a much broader spectrum.

I was in the studio with Gary Alan this week, and two of my longest running producers, Mark Wright and Tony Brown. I had my wurly and amp set up, the same ones I'd played on many of Gary's hits over the years, and I cranked it up on the first song. Then on day two, as we listened to the demo for the next song, Mark says to me, "can you give me something like a Wurly but darker and tighter, somewhere between a Wurly and a synth pad without it sounding synthy"? I was able to get what he wanted by processing the AS Wurly, and everyone was happy, but in the future, VReeds will expand that potential considerably.

Let me put it another way that may have more weight for live players. If you're playing Ray Charles, "What I Say" in one set, Aretha's "Never Loved a Man" in another, maybe some Supertramp, Grapevine or Three Dog Night, you can manage with AS Wurly, but if you want to get the nuances of all those particularly different Wurly sounds, VReeds is king.

i prefer clean strong sampled products over dirty raw material that others may consider 'real".

Okay, I'm confused.

The orig Acoustic Samples sounded like the real thing, so you bought something else?

You prefer clean over dirty but preferred Broken Wurli which is supposed to be a sample of dirtier?

Either there's a typo somewhere, or I'm not getting exactly what you're looking for.

Sorry for the confusion....

I liked 'supertramp" record wurlitzer very much, but the real one"s i played sounded no where near the wurli + mix and studio wizardry of the albums i had.

I bought Neo Soul studio and Waves and they sounded as 'bad" as the real one"s i played.... not like the sophisticated record Wurli sound i wanted at all.

Then i wanted to buy Acoustic Samples Wurli , but i read a topic on gearslutz comparing all top Wurlitzer vsti"s.

I decided to go for the sonic couture that interestingly was named 'broken" because in the sound examples in the gearslutz topic 'sonic couture" sounded like the sophisticated mixed record sound i was after the most.

The examples of this new wurlitzer from AS sound very promising though......

Haven't tried it yet as I love the Wurly on the Mojo, and I'm in a phase of "stick with it and learn to play it" phase with sounds right now. But I'm torn with Wurly in general. For the most part, I've always been a much bigger fan of Tines than Reeds. But among pop radio tracks in the last 70 years, Wurly appears about 5x as much as Rhodes, tho it's more likely to be buried in the mix. I think that's the key... Rhodes is a beautiful solo and central instrument, but Wurly tends to fit in a big mix better. To my taste, there's something slightly more artificial and alien about Wurly, it's not always the most pleasant of tones, but it just blends fantastically. Rhodes is richer and needs its space.

If I had to pick one to make money with, I'd choose the Wurly in a heartbeat... but for original music, Rhodes by a mile.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Eric, I'm with you 100%. I'm hard pressed to think of more than one original where I've used a Wurly, but it gets used a bit more than Rhodes when doing covers.

I'm hard pressed to think of more than one original where I've used a Wurly

Just the opposite here. I'm about a hundred times more likely to use a Wurly in my own songs. All those years of diggin' Ray, Donnie and Spooner I guess. :laugh:

Come to think of it, I do have a few early songs that I used Wurli on. But I don't think I was thinking much, just flipped through some Scarbee VIs and started playing. These days I probably would have defaulted to Rhodes.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

For the most part, I've always been a much bigger fan of Tines than Reeds. But among pop radio tracks in the last 70 years, Wurly appears about 5x as much as Rhodes, tho it's more likely to be buried in the mix. I think that's the key... Rhodes is a beautiful solo and central instrument, but Wurly tends to fit in a big mix better.

When my band covers a song that has no keys but has a rhythm electric guitar, I choose Wurli to serve the function of rhythm guitar. Yeah, it blends.

I think another difference is that you'll hear Rhodes more in jazz and ballads, Wurli more in pop/rock.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for sharing those notes, Steve! I"ll be grabbing this one for sure.

Anybody tried to get the half-off discount for Wurlie owners? I couldn"t find a link or other info about that offer online, but I might have been looking in the wrong places.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I have been using Wurlie since Steve N turned me into it upon its release some years ago and I am quite pleased with the VReeds piano. I spend most of my music career adding traditional electromechanical, tone wheel, and acoustic keyboards to recordings in the studio and at home. For me, investments in instruments that sound remarkably like the real thing are a must-have. Otherwise, I would stick to stock stuff and my existing library. Ravesncroft, B3X, and VReeds are quite inspirational instruments I feel good about using, and I am grateful for the technology and price-point.

When my band covers a song that has no keys but has a rhythm electric guitar, I choose Wurli to serve the function of rhythm guitar. Yeah, it blends.

True for more clean guitar stuff, yeah, Wurli works best, but I find if I really want a gritty overdrive, I prefer Rhodes since it has a bit more grouchy attack. The two I always use highly overdriven Rhodes on are "Boys are Back in Town" (which is fantastic for harmonizing the guitar lead), and "Sweet Child of Mine", where I play the rhythm guitar part under Slash's lead. (Side note: I actually know the lead part better than our guitarist, but to take a Slash part away from a guitarist is kind of heresy, so I let it go)

The two I always use highly overdriven Rhodes on are "Boys are Back in Town" (which is fantastic for harmonizing the guitar lead), and "Sweet Child of Mine", where I play the rhythm guitar part under Slash's lead. (Side note: I actually know the lead part better than our guitarist, but to take a Slash part away from a guitarist is kind of heresy, so I let it go)

Sorry for the OT tangent, but... if a guitarist can be embarrassed by a keyboard player showing him the right way to play the guitar part to "Sweet Child of Mine," he deserves to be!