Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official 2019-2020 NHL Thread

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, now that my OP neutrality has faded, I can say that I'm so excited to be watching the Leafs' first loss and to later watch the Oilers' first win. :)

Although I am not the fan in the house, in order to maintain a happy household, I hope the Leafs do well. My wife told me to say that. :duck:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I was once at a Houston Aeros game and actually caught an errant puck fired off by Gordie Howe. I was fascinated by the game as a kid and I still admire the sweat & teamwork I saw in action. Too bad I became a heathen and once used the puck to balance out a wobbly table. I can hear the screams from here. :/:laugh: No, I'm not going to sell it on ebay.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Bought a bunch of Blues tickets last year when they had the worst record in the NHL. Tickets aren"t so cheap this year but still not too bad. Probably catch a few games.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Edmonton Oilers are 5-0.

5-0.

I wish I could write numbers in all caps.

My Avs are 4-0... and at the time of this post are leading the Caps 4-0 in their 5th game of the season at the end of the first period.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Avs are now the only undefeated team in the league, now that Edmonton lost last night. Their game against Washington was the first of a six-game road trip, and it's a tough one... Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Vegas. Going to enjoy this until they crap out!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

• 2 months later...

Well, I'd say this goal is reason enough to revive this thread, wouldn't you?

[video:youtube]

Wish this replay also showed the Nugent-Hopkins pass that set it up, a gorgeous between-the-legs feed. But boy, does McDavid make Morgan Reilly look like a pylon here.

Plus, a Leafs loss is always cause for celebration, especially when it's to your own team! :cheers::keynana:

Last spring, when the Oilers were once again out of the playoffs, my wife and I were having dinner with friends at a State and Main restaurant south of Newmarket, Ontario, Connor McDavid's home town. Informal and low-key--a nice place....although their chicken clubs are soggy.

We were just digging into our main course when McDavid walked in with an older guy who had the protective air of an agent or uncle. He sat down right next to me, at a table about about four feet away.  I was engaged in conversation and hadn't noticed who he was--only one of our dining companions did.  He texted my wife:  "Don't look now, but Connor McDavid is sitting next to Mike."

She passed me the phone and pointed at the text.  Casually I took a peek and sure enough, there was Newmarket's own Connor McJesus, scruffy beard and down-market duds, staring intently at the menu.  Turning away from him, I softly and excitedly told the guy next to me--a coder who had made a pile writing apps for stuff like the Palm Pilot--who it was who had just sat down next to us.

"Conner McDavid?  Who the f**k is he?"

"Are you serious?"

"Sorry.  I really don't know who he is."

"The best hockey player in the world.  Edmonton Oilers."

"I don't follow hockey."

"I want him to play for the Leafs."

"Why would he do that?  Don't they lose all the time?"

I changed the subject back to apps.

We ignored McDavid for the rest of our meal, and he ignored us--although our fit young waitress kept her eyes glued on him all evening, even when she was processing our bills.

Most people in the restaurant seemed oblivious to the presence of sports royalty in our midst.  Nobody hassled him.

Too bad he doesn't get a chance to display his monster chops in the playoffs, on the big stage. Even mere mortals like Morgan Reilly got to play some post-season games last year.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Nice story. Pretty sure I was in an airport security lineup with Nathan MacKinnon once. Didn't ask, but definitely did a triple take.

And no, btw, Connor ain't playing for the Leafs. He's also won more playoff series than anyone wearing the blue and white in a while. ;)

It's a long season, though, isn't it? We came out hot and stayed in first place til a bit after American Thanksgiving (the playoff line in the sand). A rough December and everyone counts us out. Now, five points in six games with regulation wins against Boston and Toronto and we're feeling good again. Such a fickle league, so much parity and momentum involved.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see any hockey yesterday, Caps played early afternoon and there was another pretty big sporting event going on here south of the border. :)

Caps have lost 2 of 3, still lead the league in points, but something is not right...

:nopity: