Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland A-88MKII MIDI 2.0 88-key controller

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/roland-introduces-midi-2-0-ready-a-88mkii-midi-keyboard-controller-47375

Ivory Feel PHA-4 keybed. I'm on jury duty with extremely limited personal time, so can't do the comparison right now and don't remember which one that is or where it is used.

My apologies if this has been posted; I did a forum search and scrolled a page or two, but each page load takes 5 minutes so I ran out of patience after that.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-88mk2/

https://cdm.link/2020/01/roland-a-88mkii-midi2/

this thing begs a good tryout.

i wonder what Roland's aversion is to making the case shorter and placing the pitch/mod, knobs and buttons over the keys.

http://www.rolandus.com/static.roland.com/products/a-88mk2/images/a-88mk2_main.jpg

Features:

USB-C connectivity

RGB-lit controls

PHA-4 keyboard action, fully weighted 88-keys (it isn"t just marketing speak â Roland do have a good record on response time, etc.)

Three zones for defining your own layers and splits

Arpeggiator onboard

Roland"s 'famous pitch/mod lever' â yeah, it"s a Roland paddle, which you"ll love or hate

Full MIDI and USB compliance, so you can use this with anything, with or without a computer

Dedicated sustain, plus two additional control inputs (for expression or footswitches, as you define)

Chord memory

Pad triggers (assignable)

Assignable controls (also look handy with MIDI 2.0, and ideal for synthesists, for instance)

Wooden construction

a-88mk2_io.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think putting the controls on the left of an 88-key controller is a bad idea. Increases the amount of space need on stage, harder to fit into a compact car or SUV. Always wondered why Roland did this. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the Roland paddle unless it's combined with normal wheels like their awesome A-90/70s from long ago.

I think putting the controls on the left of an 88-key controller is a bad idea. Increases the amount of space need on stage, harder to fit into a compact car or SUV. Always wondered why Roland did this. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the Roland paddle unless it's combined with normal wheels like their awesome A-90/70s from long ago.

I believe that"s Roland"s version of the 'double-down.'

I wonder if the A-x00 Pros are getting an upgrade? Have had my eyes on the 800.

Here for the gear.

Controls on left didn"t make sense on the RD64, and makes even less sense on an 88. Ergonomically, your left hand will be closer to the controls if they"re above and not to the left. And that"s a long keyboard to be swinging around during transport. Maybe there"s a reason other than ergonomics but I can"t guess what that is.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think putting the controls on the left of an 88-key controller is a bad idea. Increases the amount of space need on stage, harder to fit into a compact car or SUV. Always wondered why Roland did this.....

This totally. I can only assume the men in white coats at Roland HQ in Japan think their customer base are all bodybuilding twentysomethings who drive very long cars or trucks, or are international rockstars who play on ultra wide stages with roadies to carry the gear.

They need to step out of the labs, and come to the UK and US and hang out with their main customer base - gigging musos. Join us for the varied load ins with our funk and soul bands. See the variety of venues and the width of the stages (IF there's a stage at all which there usually isn't at wedding venues here in the UK). Understand that people do book 8 piece bands without thinking where to put them.

Come and sit at a home studio with someone who writes or produces. See where the controls are most convenient to be positioned. Ask them, watch them. They're certainly not reaching hard left for them. All that blank real estate along the top of the keyboard could be useful.

Just my twopenneth!

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/roland-introduces-midi-2-0-ready-a-88mkii-midi-keyboard-controller-47375

Ivory Feel PHA-4 keybed. I'm on jury duty with extremely limited personal time, so can't do the comparison right now and don't remember which one that is or where it is used.

My apologies if this has been posted; I did a forum search and scrolled a page or two, but each page load takes 5 minutes so I ran out of patience after that.

I think that keybed was/is in the RD-800

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

The width doesn't bother me.... It is exactly and only 1/2" wider than my old FA-08. I never had any issues with that on stage.

The MK2 is also 1/2" narrower than the original A88 it replaces.

I like the way they put the pads and knobs over on the left. They have them grouped in a good way. To place them above, you'd have to make the keyboard deeper or spread them across the top. I personally don't like either of those options.

I got along just fine with the older A88. This one definitely piques my interest. The USB-C would hook up just fine with my new Mac Mini.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Apparently it's ready for the high-res, 32-bit MIDI controller messages...which means it's probably also capable of generating the 32,000+ controllers (much better than 128, eh?). I don't think there's anything that responds yet, but if the keyboard can generate hi-res messages, the floodgates will open at some point. The per-note controller thing looks particularly interesting...kind of like the next step past MPE.

I like the way they put the pads and knobs over on the left. They have them grouped in a good way. To place them above, you'd have to make the keyboard deeper or spread them across the top. I personally don't like either of those options.....The USB-C would hook up just fine with my new Mac Mini.

Agreed. I have the RD-64, and one of the best things about it is the lack of stuff above the keys - it lets me place my VR09 on that "shelf" (supporting only the back of the VR09 separately), thus getting my two sets of keybeds as physically close to each other as possible. Like on a Hammond.

And in solidarity with the Support Ed Diaz movement, here is an example from one of his fine videos: (note - he doesn't have the VR09 resting on the RD64, but he could).

[video:youtube]

The earlier 76 key version I tried at GC a few times felt very very good
Roland 76-key controller? Are you referring to the A50/A70? They had very good actions, sorely missed.

Regards, Mike.

Actually the one in the picture above in the photo of roygBIV's....the RD76 - I thought it felt wonderful.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

And still no clear way to select setups on other gear via MIDI...unless it's buried somewhere? Maybe you can assign PC and other MIDI CC data to one of the pads?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm not sure if there was a RD76? (The one above is the RD-64, i.e 64 keys).

Anyway, I totally agree with Legatoboy, the keybed on these Roland controllers like the RD-64 feel really nice. Although a bit of a heavy/sluggish feel, the key's "bounce' very much like a real piano, which makes playing piano bits like trills and things much more enjoyable and life-like.

This new keyboard apparently does three zones/splits, which could definitely expand its use as a main controller.

I think putting the controls on the left of an 88-key controller is a bad idea. Increases the amount of space need on stage, harder to fit into a compact car or SUV. Always wondered why Roland did this.

Maybe there"s a reason other than ergonomics but I can"t guess what that is.

All that blank real estate along the top of the keyboard could be useful.

The problem is that something like a pitch bend lever or mod wheel is like an iceberg -- we only see the little bit sticking above the surface, and not the mechanism under the top panel. And the area behind the keys isn't just empty space; rather, the keys extend beyond what's visible to reach the pivot point (and as discussed in another thread, the longer that distance the better). So to reposition the pitch bend and such to be above the keys would require that the case be several inches deeper, which Roland chooses not to do.

(Not that i agree with Roland's design decision, as i personally wouldn't want to buy something this wide either.)

- Jimbo (taking off my [retired] design engineer hat)

I think that keybed was/is in the RD-800

The RD-800 has the PHA-4 Concert action, which replaced the PHAIII of the RD-700NX. The A-88MkII has the PHA-4 Standard action, which I suppose replaces the Ivory Feel-G action used in the original A-88, the FA-08, RD-300NX, etc.

Roland loves to use confusing naming...

Thanks for the connection to RD-800 (still haven't seen one; just earlier models in that series) as a reference for evaluating the PH4 action.

I think the sim factor is designed for computer desktop setups, where depth can be the biggest criteria due to leaving room for a computer keyboard and monitor, with sufficient working distance. Could be wrong.

I haven't read the second half of the responses yet though. At least the forum is quicker today! Just got off duty from jury, so the jury is "out" so to speak, as Adan suggested. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

OK, I'm caught up now, and though I knew a bit about MIDI 2.0 and its support of high resolution data (important especially for us classical and jazz folks), I didn't know about some of the other aspects that Craig Anderton mentions. So it seems Roland has positioned this as a long-term product entry that opens new markets and possibilities and won't need upgrading for well over a decade or more. That's a smart move in the 88-key controller market, which isn't exactly high in sales.

I prefer the PH4 in the RD-800 to the PH-50 whatever they are using on the RD-2000. It"s a bit faster on the return.

I also liked the RD-800 action better than the RD-2000's. Much closer to a real piano I thought, and that was/is my second favorite hammer action around, after the ES8. Not a fan of textured sharps though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I think they just mean that it implements as much of the MIDI 2.0 spec as is finalized and that they felt capable of implementing at this price point. It is somewhat weird wording though, as it sounds like you'll need a firmware upgrade -- perhaps a year or more later -- to move past MIDI 1.0 and to the MIDI 2.0 spec. But I don't think that to be the case.

I think they just mean that it implements as much of the MIDI 2.0 spec as is finalized and that they felt capable of implementing at this price point. It is somewhat weird wording though, as it sounds like you'll need a firmware upgrade -- perhaps a year or more later -- to move past MIDI 1.0 and to the MIDI 2.0 spec. But I don't think that to be the case.

So midi 2.0 is officially getting incorporated then?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Yes. And I think this might be the first commercial product of this stature to do so. After all, Roland is one of the driving forces behind MIDI 2.0. Yamaha too, I think, so maybe they have something coming as well?