Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody like the Roland JDXA?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one for a few months. Great sounding synth. Build was a lot of plastic and not the best looking synth, in my opinion. I did not have it long enough to know about bugs. There are some great 3rd party sounds for it. I just had too many synths, so I sold it. However, I would not mind owning it again.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I have both a JDXI and the JDXA, and I love them. In fact, the JDXI is very similar in architecture, with fewer analog voices and the addition of a essentially a drum machine. The JDXA doesn't really have the drum part (in any elegant fashion). Oddly, if I didn't already have a JDXA, I don't think I would understand how deep the JDXI is.

The JDXA is a very weird synth, it's certainly imperfect, and yes there's a lot of people who complain about it. But at the end of the day, the JDXA sounds awesome. The analog voice are very cool, although for me the digital voice are a lot more inspirational. There's like four hundred or so PCM samples you can use, which gives this synth a HUGE amount of territory to play in. The sheer amount of partials (or layers) is really crazy. The physical controls can usually get you building sounds quickly, however, there's SO MUCH that's hidden just below the surface, so you often need a "SHIFT+" another button to access it. Even then, there's lot of menu diving.

Sonically, it's a very hi-fi synth...the analog parts can get a bit dirty if you work them, but it's very dreamy. I've never really got any bass sounds I loved, but otherwise, it's a really great board.

I hope that helps!

Helpful info from both posters. I too am swimming in the depths of what is inside the jdxi. It would be impossible to get what I get out of it without the excellent free editor available online. I assume and hope there is a good editor for the jdxa. If the jdxi just had at least another octave and the keys were bigger it would well worth a couple hundred more bucks and I wouldn't look at the jdxa. But I doesn't so I am.

FunMachine.

If I am not mistaken, it is a great synth to get if you love the old JD990 sounds. That was a wonderful sounding synth for pads and atmospheric sounds.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I assume and hope there is a good editor for the jdxa.

Well, the menu diving is NOT nearly as bad as the JDXI. For the JDXI, you really have no choice but to use an external editor. With the JDXA, it isn't totally necessary. And if you spend some real time with it, you can get pretty adept at some tricks. Even the 400 PCM sounds become familiar. And because of the knobs and sliders, most of the usual stuff is right there...envelopes, filters, etc.