Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you've got an extra $250K lying around...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like somebody tried to make a scale model out of Lego, as best he could...

Sure does! I've heard of vanity buys, but I don't know which would be worse: spending such money on that or being impressed by someone who owned it. :roll:

The Why part escapes me. :laugh:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Well there's always Costco's return policy, which is pretty much time-unlimited AFAIK.

Use something for 5-10 years, it breaks down and then return it, "cause I didn't like the color"!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Audi is famous for designing beautiful cars...

Agreed, and one of the reasons I used to drive Audis. The other being I live in a snow belt, and Audi was an early adopter of AWD in cars. But yeah, that piano is butt ugly. Hard to believe Audi had a hand in it.

And what"s with '$249,999.99'? In that price range can"t we just say $250k? Does that penny tip the scales to an otherwise potential buyer? It not like it"s a toaster for $49.99.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I'mma win the lottery, buy it and make a video.

Get a robot to play Chopsticks, pour gasoline all over it.

Set it on fire and shoot it with shotguns.

It will go viral... :- D

Maybe you"ll become a YouTube star and make your money back. :idk:

This is just an art case piano. It is the piano as "art". The instrument part is there, but isn't the point. Thereby assuring that it won't mean much to anyone here. Remember that the vast bulk of acoustic grand pianos are NOT sold to life-long pianists. They are piano-shaped-objects that help decorate a room. Given the price, it won't be going into any typical suburban home. Often these go into lobbies/hotels/resorts or other places that are looking to make a "statement". These pianos are chosen by decorators to go with a theme or a look. These are the same pianos with locks on the fall board so that no one is tempted to use them for musical purposes. Bosendorfer makes very few pianos a year. I bet only a handful are any of their "art case" designs. Fazioli also does this.... piano covered in gold leaf anyone?

Apparently it was designed for a concert series sponsored by Audi several years ago. I picked that up from this video - as well as how to correctly pronounce Bosendorfer:

BRRR - sendorfer! :D

[video:youtube]

A quick search shows it's also available through several exclusive London shops (Coach House Pianos, Royal Pianos). If Audi is listing it on Costco, they must be trying to broaden their reach.

And get rid of it.

There's not just one in the world. It is a model. You can order it. They'll make one, just for you! Some of their art case pianos only come in one size, others can be ordered in a variety of sizes. The M. Liminal Fazioli linked above is a fixed size one. But most of the "traditional" art cases done in "historic styles" or "exotic veneers" can be done on any sized piano. The cost for other than basic ebonizing is quite high. Many of the of the exotic veneers add a minimum of $50k to the price, some multiples of that.

If the piano is not just an instrument, but also a performance art piece itself, then the sky is the limit for expense. Bosendorfer has made pianos that cost over $1M for royalty, and others. Why does Bugatti sell $2-3M cars? Because someone will buy them.

Too bad the piano companies have to struggle so hard to make it. Sign of the times. Only a matter of time before they start making pianos with inlaid logos of customer favorite colleges and NFL football teams. That would make a great standing bar for some stock brokers TV/Game room. Brilliant! Maybe I should run the marketing department for Steinway?

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X