Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

I rarely get offered dinner with a gig. I Usually get a beer and a water per set. I also don't like to eat at a gig because I sing. Eating right before singing can cause issues so I tend to eat well before I head out.

They shouldn't mind the asking though.

Will play 4 beer...

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen the billboards for Firestone Walker? (It's a beer) Looks like they are going after bikers, bodybuilders, surfers, and other counter-cultural types.

This image gives me the creeps every time I drive by:

http://www.805beer.com/images/slideshow/LB.jpg

It certainly doesn't inspire me to drink a beer.

I'm intrigued by this p-bass body.

Half of me thinks it's ugly in a Buddy Guy polka dot kinda way, half of me thinks it's awesome.

Seems appropriate for Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, if he played bass.

Footnote: since clicking on that link earlier today, the eBay page now appears as an ad on my Facebook page. "Still interested?" it asks. Ummm. No.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I'm pleased with the solo act thing. Good tunes, good fun, good challenge. But holy crap, I've played to a whole lot of empty houses. I'm still getting paid, and the bar staff loves the music. But...empty houses.

That, and I put the Beef-a-Roni song in my set as a goof. It did not go over well. Like...at all. So: Beff-a-Roni is a little to old of a reference.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...
Fun gig last night w/ the alt-rock original band. Guitar player #2 didn't show up, so we were a trio. More space for more notes! It jived better anyway with the way the leader plays guitar--he plays sort of more as a soundscape than as a rhythm...not articulate, no attack, and with lots of weird color notes. Adding another guitar over that makes it mush. And there were people there! Lots of people! I'm playing the same venue next week with the solo gig. Hope those people are still there.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sweet gig last night in a busy weekend. The original drummer from our Alt.Rock Originals outfit came home to visit. He's doing the drum thing full time (or trying to) in Nashville. I posted a video of him sometime back playing along to Breckers' "Some Skunk Funk"....that guy. We haven't played these tunes in about 6 years, yet he nailed every tune in the book. Smack!. These tunes have a lot of tempo and feel changes-- chorus and verse and bridge often have much contrast to them. And every single ending was spot-on tight. Everything was easy. I knew what he was doing, he knew what I was doing. Just magical.

It's good to play with a pro on occasion........And yes, we played to another empty house, so some things never change.

• 3 years later...
For sale: Vintage* Epiphone Top Hat Bell Knob.

Distressed crack on the 9 to let you know you're about to hit 10.

$79.99 plus $10.00 shipping.

http://i.imgur.com/gs4fKq1.jpg

* 2006 is a vintage of sorts...

Is this still available?

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Willy Dixon, who just so happened to hold the bottom like no other, is possibly the person who had the greatest influence on modern music.

He made the tunes that inspired the people, who inspired the people, who inspired us.

Don't dismiss the greatness in the forefront but appreciate the pedestal on which they sit.

I know it's almost an hour and a half long but I think this should be a basic educational requirement.

Gunsmoke blues - Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner, George "Harmonica" Smith

butcherNburn posted an excellent link just about, that there's the real deal y'all.

This morning I looked at my favorite bass, leaning in a corner. I'll play it later.

Just a beat-up mid 80's Peavey Fury I picked up on the cheap. I put the big, heavy old school Schaller tuners on it and an EMG PA pickup.

LOVE the neck, slender, straight and plays like a dream. The bass weighs 7 lbs 3 oz, it is bright lipstick red with a maple fingerboard. Strings are D'Addario round nickel, the usual 1.05 set.

It sounds amazing, even just direct in.

I have one other bass, a Warmoth PJ I built. It's red too with ebony board. I played bass for Bo Diddley for one night, was hired to be in his pickup band. It's heavier, also a great bass. Had it since the late 80's.

I'm really a guitarist but LOVE playing bass and play it like a bass because it is NOT a guitar.

Respect, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 month later...

Since the last time I posted, I pulled the frets out of my Warmoth bass, filled the slots with white epoxy putty goo stuff and using a long straight block, sanded it level and smooth.

I took it all the way up to 600 grit and put a dab of lemon oil on it. It looks happy.

Strung with the Rotosound Tru Bass strings, they are wrapped with black nylon or something but are roundwound underneath. So they have a bit more lively sound than most flatwounds.

I went with a BEAD tuning. LOVE playing it!!!!

My new home studio weapon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[font:Verdana]I'm not the praying type myself, but if you are, send one Matthew Seligman's way. Thomas Dolby (whom Seligman worked with on Dolby's album The Flat Earth), just tweeted that Seligman's been in a medically-induced coma for 10 days now as doctors attempt to save him from covid-19.[/font]

[video:youtube]

Well, I am not too inspired to practice/play right now. We do still play as a band for the live stream from church. We physical distance and all that. I doubt that there will be any gigging for many months so it's hard to get motivated to practice. I have a friend who writes and he sent me a rough song to put a bass line to so I am trying to get up to speed on GarageBand and recording and sharing tracks via email or other means. I think I have my bass sounding pretty good. I recently added an Effectrode Leveling Amp to my pedal board and it is a game/tone changer. I LOVE it. Not being an effects guy, I'm surprised I spent $460 on a compressor, but I did have a friend who let me try his before I bought.

I suppose the next step is figuring out how to do some of those annoying "watch/listen to me play along to my favorite song" videos. I'll need to brush up on iMovie.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend we are going to try to live stream as a band.

Somebody we know has set up a large stage in a huge warehouse with backdrop, lighting and stuffs.

We can practice social distancing on that stage, there are only 4 of us. Will bring my own vocal mic, I am not getting near theirs.

30 or 40 people will probably watch us. 5 or 6 of them will give us 2 dollars each in the vitual tip jar.

If we were still kids we'd use the tip jar money to go buy the half gallon plastic bottle of Albersons gin and glug it down in the parking lot.

The bassist would puke on the hood of somebody else's car and the drummer's girlfriend would rush over to comfort him.

Don't miss those times...