Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Traynor K4 volume drop problem solved

I thought I would share this with anyone who has experienced this problem. My 10 year old faithful Traynor K4 suddenly started making weird midrange volume dropping/distortion at certain volumes with my piano, both a Casio psx3000 and a Yamaha CP40. I tried different cables but no luck. It would only happen when I reached a certain volume. I did an internet search and yes, other people have had this problem, but no clear solutions. I took the amp apart (I have experience with electronics, and warranty long gone) I discovered the midrange volume pot on channel one sprung apart. This appears to have been caused by trauma at the front of the amp ( I don't remember anything, but it's been through a lot of gigs) pushing the shaft of the pot inwards. Note that there was no sign of wiggling or looseness from the front of the amp. Luckily I managed to press the pot back together and re-bend the tangs holding it together. If I was doing this for someone else I would have ordered a new pot, but I needed the amp later the same day. Viola problem solved. I had this problem on a friends guitar amp, and it was the same thing. The symptoms were not what you would expect sound wise, but I replaced the pot and it was back to normal. Hope someone else benefits from this.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic