Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get any Cool Gifts this Season?

I downloaded the Jam Origin trial version, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it before the year is up. That'll be my big Christmas present!

The other big Christmas present was giving myself enough time to master my soon-to-be-posted album for 2019.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been "adopted" into a family as a brother by a Lummi Elder.

His son-in-law gave me some eagle feathers, I am allowed to have them since they are a gift.

Lots of bald eagles up here and feathers are found frequently without any harm to the animals.

My Lummi brother's wife made a hand beaded bit of regalia with the feathers to hang from the headstock of my main gigger. I put a small hook in an out of the way place and it goes on before every performance now.

She also made me a hand beaded Strat necklace that I wear when it is a more fancy gig.

I am honored beyond words.

And... my friend Katie came by for a studio session. We hooked up my Korg Wavedrum and Roland Handsonic, fired up the speakers and just jammed (with much laughter) for about an hour or so.

We are collaborating on an album and this was a welcome breakthrough. I knew we could lock a groove but this was very freeing, we just created. Then we added vocals (her) and fretless bass (me) which was also fun.

While I doubt anything of value was actually produced, the collaboration has set the tone for what I have been wanting to do - create without boundaries while having fun.

Very pleased with that as well, something that needed to happen and it just did. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know that it's specifically a gift, but it feels like one. I have a new book of night photography that's been released. It's my first book, so it's really exciting. Getting the boxes in the mail felt like getting a huge gift. I also have a book release event with slide show on February 9th, so yeah, the whole thing feels like a fantastic gift, and for that, I am grateful.

Abandoned Southern California by Ken Lee

abandoned-southern-california-cover.jpg

As a bit of a joke, a friend of mine included the stocking stuffer of his old Korg Kaoss Mini-KP in my gift box. I would have killed for this thing 30 years ago. :laugh: I work in the box so much, I'll have to move two things sideways to plug it in for noodling. I enjoyed playing Korg's Z1, where they released the first version of that pad just above the pitch n' mod wheels. It'll be interesting to see what I can make of it. Far better than just a card of Santa kissing Chewbacca.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I only got only one Christmas present this year, a multiple outlet strip with outlets that rotate so that you can put wall-warts crosswise and, except for unusually fat ones, put one in each adjacent outlet. It also has a pair of USB charging ports, a ground fault indicator, and the "your surge suppressor has blown out" light. I don't see much point to having the outlets fully rotatable unless you have some triangular wall warts, but when it comes to gifts, it's the thought that counts.

I'm pretty sure it was at a NAMM show, maybe 20 years ago, when a company based out of Hawaii showed a "crosswise" outlet strip, and in my show report, I raved about why nobody ever thought of that before. Well, of course wall warts weren't very common before that. I got a couple at Home Depot not long ago that had the crosswise outlet orientation.

But curses on the giver!!! If he wasn't a really good friend, I'd wrap it around his neck! ;)

I thought my sidecar work bench would be a good place for this outlet strip to live. I had to move a shelf away from the wall in order to un-plug the 3-outlet strip I had there and plug in the new one, and in order to move the shelf, I had to take a few things off it. This is one of those shelves full of stuff that you can't bear to throw away but know you'll never use. I've been at sorting it out, boxing things up, and putting them in the basement or garage - for three hours now, and I'm still not done. About a dozen 5 and 6 space blank rack panels, rack mount ears for unidentified pieces of gear, most of which I probably don't have any more, about 50 pairs of disposable foam ear plugs (I used to carry a handful of those to gigs where I was doing live sound. When someone came up to me and said it was too loud, I'd offer them some ear plugs. Some were appreciated, most were miffed. Lots of rack mount shelf brackets, pieces of rack rail, earbuds coming out my ears, muffin fans, a vintage programmable on/off electric clock-timer in a genuine Bakalite case, a phonograph strobe disk, some headphones I don't remember, a compartmentalized drawer sans cabinet full of miscellaneous hardware, and the pile, including odd pieces of wood and metal, that is slowly diminishing. Oh, and the set of four suicide adapters I made once to make temporary 1/4" phone plug speaker cables out of long orange extension cords - something else I saw at a NAMM show way back that I recall pointing out the potential risks - but I thought it was rather clever as long as I'm the only one who plugs them in.

This is the first year that I haven't received some sort of gear as a Christmas present; partly because my wife now assumes if I really want it I'll just buy it for myself.

However, I did get tickets to see Steve Hackett in March.

And Marillion's latest CD, "With Friends From the Orchestra.

[video:youtube]

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

At the end of our New Years Eve gig, the Entertainment Purchaser asked the crowd if they wanted us back next year. There was thunderous applause, a standing ovation, and we are hired for next year. That's one cool gift in my opinion!

It was at an RV park with about 600 spaces that are 2/3 filled with crazy, wonderful French Canadians spending the winter in the warm Florida sunshine. The first song brought the dancers out, and the floor wasn't empty until everyone went home and the cleaners were sweeping up. It was so much fun we played 4 hours without a break. Why stop the fun when the dance floor is full and tons of love are coming from the crowd?

At the end of the night we got hugs, handshakes and those European style kisses on both cheeks.

Happy New Year y'all - bonne année.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

To follow up, I did in fact get the Jam Origin program for both guitar and bass (they were doing a 2-for-1 special). It really works! Even tracks pitch bends. Of course it's not perfect (hey, it's guitar-to-MIDI) but for $100, it sure is easier than retrofitting your guitar with a hex pickup, and the performance is equal or better.

I'll be writing up a review for MusicPlayer.com...watch this space.

And I can say whatever I want :)

:idea::yeahthat::2thu:

Over the past month, I've had a bunch of AEA KU5A microphones here. I got to spoend a bunch of time trying them on several different vocalists and on piano, both recording and live. Might make for another interesting MPN review. :cool:

Perhaps I can get AEA founder Wes Dooley to join in on the discussion and answer questions. He's one of the most interesting people in our industry - you can't believe the things this guy has seen and heard, and the people he's met over the years...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Perhaps I can get AEA founder Wes Dooley to join in on the discussion and answer questions. He's one of the most interesting people in our industry - you can't believe the things this guy has seen and heard, and the people he's met over the years...

I want Wes for Christmas. Whenever I talk to him, I always learn something about something I never thought I'd want to learn about. He should get a TEC award for being him.

My wife bought me a new suitcase...........hmmmmmm.

Actually we've done a lot of traveling and she didn't like the ones I had so she got me a model like the one she recently purchased. I used it on our New Years trip which this year was Charleston, SC for several days.

As for her I bought the Roland Mobile Cube amp which I hope we can use for the keyboard when traveling or perhaps even in small places.