Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stay safe Miden.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he did Fleer, there was an interview telling the story on the ABC here which was shown also in the UK on the BBC and elsewhere.

Here is the link to news story

I am in regular contact and am helping with the rebuild planning. The power poles were burnt out for 20 miles either side and roads were not reopened for 3 days. It was only then that those who had been locked out for 3 days prior to fire hitting on the Saturday were able to re enter and find out if their homes had been destroyed, about 20 were plus other buildings typical of a small rural community.

Steves wife was on the outside. He told me that for the first two nights after the fire, although he wasnt cold, he lay in bed shivering.

There are probably 10,000 people throughout Australia feeling like that today.

Bear in mind that this is just NSW, every other state is just as badly hit except QLD and the NT, at the moment.

The only sealed road between the West coast - Perth and the East Coast - Adelaide, has been closed for a week and will probably be closed for another two weeks due to fire's on the Nullabor plains.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Miden, I am glad you and yours are safe. Being here for a few weeks, the news of the fires are like watching a slow motion disaster movie, with fresh challenges and heart rending tragedies every day. I had the privilege of learning more from our brother Mark last night. He's a true host, a world class raconteur and all-round wonderful guy. Mark, I was so happy to meet you and someday I hope I can begin to repay your wonderful courtesy. Hoping the best for our Aussie brothers and sisters.

Okay, everything has now settled down, and contrary to some overseas news reports folks have sent me links to, Eden was not devastated nor was there a full evacuation! Some elderly and infirm were transferred early on, about 300 camped at the wharf but the vast majority stayed at their homes to defend. Which we didn't need to do due to the outstanding work of the Rural Fire Service, the town fire services, logging and other volunteers, NSW State Forests and the many hundreds of volunteers.

We got incredibly lucky with the weather and apart from a 4-5 hour spell of southerly winds, it was mostly calm and overcast. This allowed the firies to get really solid containment lines built around the southern edges of Eden and these help cause the fire to swerve to the north west and away from Eden...pretty much slid straight past! Those further north are now on our minds as it continues. It has been raining pretty steadily over this far south coast region for many hours now, nothing heavy but it has been constant and although this does hamper backburning activities it DOES assist greatly in slowing the fires advance, meaning more resources can be applied directly to the fire front itself!

I have fought two bushfires in the past and lived though another one, but this one is taking the cake! It is pretty much unstoppable (only by the Tasman Sea, or INCREDIBLE amounts of rain).

Thanks again for your thoughts and well wishes, much appreciated!

Dennis

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things