Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rackmount line-level keyboard mixer: digital/programmable

I currently am using an Ashly LX-308B 8-stereo channel line-level mixer. Although, it it works great, I REALLY NEED a line-level mixer that is programable...in particular: programmable volume.

Back in the late 80's, I was using several of the Yamaha's DMP-11 digital mixers. This mixer was awesome. Totally programmable, (2) SPX-90 FX processors, etc, etc, real 5-pin MIDI in/out/thru (and, this is extremely important to me because my entire keyboard rig is all controlled/connected together via 5-Pin MIDI..... NO USB!!!).....all in a 4-rack space unit. The only limitation of the DMP-11 was that it was only 8 mono channels. (I need at least 8-stereo channels). Of course, in the early 90's, Yamaha did make a DMP-9, which was an 8 channel stereo digital mixer (2 rack spaces), though this mixer was a very limited produced and never available in the U.S.

Today, 2020: there does not seem to be any small programmable digital rack mount stereo line mixers dedicated for us keyboard players. The closest only one I can find is the (16) mono-channeled A&H QU-PAC $1,499. Although, I do like it, the REAL downfall of this mixer is that it can only receive/accept program/scene changes via USB. Sooooo, that means I'd have to spend several hundred more dollars to buy something like an iConnect device just to convert MIDI-to-USB just so the QU-PAC can change scenes, remotely.

What I'm NOT looking for is any kind of digital mixer that requires an iPad to control the mixer (i.e. Behringer X-Air or Soundcraft Ui-16) or even some big rack mount digital mixer like an A&H QU-16 or Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2. I really wish there was digital programable version of the Ashly mixer I already have. I want real analog volume knobs...but the volume knobs just need to be programmable.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you disqualified the X-Air in your last paragraph, but I was super pleased with the Midas MR18 in my touring rig in 2019. Great sound, no reliability issues (had a spare with the show file loaded ready to go, but never needed it, of course). The MIDI implementation was good enough for my rather simple needs; I was able to use a couple of spare knobs on my E-RM Multiclock configured as CC's to control the couple of channel faders that I wanted to be able to tweak in real time. I had to do some workarounds to get exactly what I wanted but the flexible routing made it all possible.

True that you need a computer or iPad for setup, but I never felt the need to attach the iPad or computer to it again, once we were done with tech rehearsals. You can also use program change messages to access up to 64 snapshots, though I didn't need that level of control mid-show and so never bothered.

You can see the MIDI implementation chart in the user manual here: http://downloads.music-group.com/documents/midas/MR18_MR12_M_EN.pdf

If you want a dedicated hardware control surface, the Behringer X-Touch is available, but I haven't used it.

You're doing it wrong.

MIDI volume is more convenient. There's a reason why there haven't been any compact programmable rackmount mixers since the DMP-11.

I have been happy with plain old line mixers for 30+ years. I leave the volume knobs on the mixer set in one place for the entire gig, and let MIDI volume control the levels instead. A good master MIDI controller can give this control, or most multitimbral boards already have some form of "mix" configurations for layers/split sounds with independent settings like volume.

I agree with Danno

I used my XR-12 for years. I never need to connect it to my laptop or iPad at shows.

Once setup all was good.

It was connected via MIDI din, and I could change 'snapshots'. When I changed patch on my controller, it sent a command to the XR.

Never had a failure.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I've done a little research into this and it appears Behringer is the only company putting din midi on their mixers.

A programmable rack mount digital mixer with nice built-in effects that accepts program and control change over midi is very useful for keyboards with no, or inadequate built-in effects (many analog synths for instance).

If you can do all the programming before hand and leave the laptop or tablet at home, all the better.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden