Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new ARP synth?!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted that a while back, but it's good to know there's a new teaser video (I guess; I can't check it for another half hour).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Is there any reason these companies can"t design their own synth?

I am happy with Behringer CAT because we need a synth with multi wave Oscillators.

But more kind of close Clones is tiresome.

Maybe u-He or Spectrasonics will take their brilliant software and make hardware with it.

Only thing worse than yet another clone is Sample Developers giving you an 'authentic' example of some exotic wind instrument locked at 1 octave, no extra notes.

But that"s the way the 7,000 year old piece of wood was.......

What a bunch of crap.

I hope it doesn"t sell so they can maybe get the hint.

For Pete"s sake it"s 2020.

I can make my SE-02 sound like a 2600S.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Is there any reason these companies can"t design their own synth?

I am happy with Behringer CAT because we need a synth with multi wave Oscillators.

But more kind of close Clones is tiresome.

Maybe u-He or Spectrasonics will take their brilliant software and make hardware with it.

Only thing worse than yet another clone is Sample Developers giving you an 'authentic' example of some exotic wind instrument locked at 1 octave, no extra notes.

But that"s the way the 7,000 year old piece of wood was.......

What a bunch of crap.

For Pete"s sake it"s 2020.

I can make my SE-02 sound like a 2600S.

They can, but there are a lot of people who want the vintage hardware but, can"t afford it! Plus prices on vintage synths are through the roof! KORG, ROLAND and Yamaha, have mainly been upgrading their music workstations year after year, but there are those who don"t want a Motif 21 or whatever.

I would love a 2600! I have seen vintage ones sell for the cost of a modern workstation!

All this is, is just a cycle. People didn"t want analog synths once the DX-7 was introduced in 1983. Then in the mid 1990"s analog gear made a resurgence and people were buying them up, pushing prices through the roof.

Even Jean Michael Jarre hinted that KORG was making a 2600. So I would assume he is going to buy one.

So can Arturia with the 2600 V.

This is getting confusing, with so many New Korg Synth threads, and then it turning out that they have SEVERAL on the way at once!

Is this the biggest Korg "New Product Year" in a decade or more? It already seems like it. Maybe the same for Roland, I think.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What a bunch of crap.

There are plenty of modern synths for you. Go enjoy a Peak, a Summit, a Moog One, a DeepMind, a MatrixBrute, a Prophet X, a Hydrasynth.

I"ve got a Solaris, don"t need them.

Seems JBowen and the Wavestate are getting the hint that the Dinosaurs became extinct for a reason.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I was born the same year the ARP 2600, was released, and a year old with the Odyssey! I was even too young to find a used one cheap. Even when they came back in style, I didn"t have a job. Now i do, but a vintage 2600 is too expensive. However, with KORG teaming up with David Friend to re-release a new and more stable instrument, with MIDI and USB. This gives people like myself and younger. The opportunity to buy one!

What a bunch of crap.

There are plenty of modern synths for you. Go enjoy a Peak, a Summit, a Moog One, a DeepMind, a MatrixBrute, a Prophet X, a Hydrasynth.

I"ve got a Solaris, don"t need them.

Seems JBowen and the Wavestate are getting the hint that the Dinosaurs became extinct for a reason.

I agree. As much as I loved my ARP 2600 and ARP sequencer back in 1980, I wouldn't pay $3,500-$4,000 for a reissue today. Personally, I'd spend my money on something like an Expressive E Osmose for half the price and get a whole new level of expressivity in a synth. And even the Wavestate looks more interesting to me, being an original Wavestation owner, than the ARP does. I know others might feel differently.

There's a massive thread over on Gearslutz about it. For some it is clearly the second coming. People scrambling to get pre-orders in, speculating if it will be limited edition, the whole "fear-of-missing-out" thing amped to 11 at least. I do have a Model D re-issue myself, some I'm not throwing stones on the idea. I'm just observing that there is a lot of apparent demand for it. Unless they have a parts shortage, I'd think they'd make as many as they can sell. For sure, not everyone will want theirs or be able to afford the payments and they will show up on the used market while the new ones are still available...

It is a great time to like synthesizers. So many great choices!

Used to own a grey face 2600 when they were going cheap in the early 90's. It was a flexible and interesting synth but I didn't use it that much, preferring the Mini Moog, Prophet V and OB-Xa. After saying that I also had an Odyssey that also didn't get much use so maybe it was the ARP sound that I didn't like at the time.

Tastes change and now the ARP sound appeals to me. Korg have done a superb job on this, but I have already seen articles by the cork sniffing brigade saying how it isn't the same as the original. What nonsense. Just play the instrument and enjoy it.

Although, being a hyped instrument, similar to the CS-80 hype, it will be interesting to see how many people buy it and then think 'is that it?', surprised that it hasn't got supernatural audio powers.

Think this is one that is going to end up in the collectors vaults more that working musicians, although if I had the cash my name would be on the waiting list.

Holy shit, Korg NAILED this....!!

It sounds like the OG 2600 .....and that spring reverb!

I won"t need one till next year, but I WANT IT NOW!

The burning question is.... can you invert the keyboard voltage and do the 'Black Market' trick??

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Back in HS I owned a Minimoog, so when they made the Reissue I bought one immediately (and have been happy ever since!). If I had had a 2600 back in the day, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Korg for a moment, but I kinda feel I can get more out of a good collection of Eurorack modules, especially for the price. But it is definitely very cool that Korg did this!

This thing looks so fantastic.

[video:youtube]

That is really well done documentary. I never knew apocolypse now, which I saw on release in a theater was done with this synth. It is crazy versatile.

Would it have been made without the pressure of Behringer? Clone? You want to see a good clone? Observe. (Korg to Behringer)

Behringer is coming again with the CS80 and the OB-Xa. But thunder stolen.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I am one who id totally excited about all these re=issues and faithful clones hitting the market.

I first started getting into synthesizers at the late tail end of the so called golden age. I never had a chance, nor could I afford, to have any of the classics. Prophet 5, MiniMoog, Jupiter, OBX, etc..

I graduated high school in 1981, and while I had been performing, it was just piano parts (yes I had an actual ARP flattop piano :) )

Fast forward to these past 15 years or so; as my knowledge of how synthesizers work keeps growing, and loving all the music the classics were used on, the ability for me to get these is wonderful. Sure, I could try and go to the used market, but often decent example you find are worn out, while those in pristine condition would require selling my car.

So I say great! Keep these coming.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage