Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iZotope Tonal Balance Control

I have really gotten into using this. It doesn't actually process anything, it's for mix analytics.

mkEXetM.jpg

The intestine-looking thing represents the range of spectral distribution iZotope measured for a zillion pop recordings. If you stay within those boundaries, you can be reasonably sure you don't have TOO much bass, treble, mids, etc. If there's a major peak within that range, you might want to look into it.

I was shocked, but gratified, to see that the overall spectral distribution for my upcoming. album (as shown by the white line) is pretty damn close to theoretically perfect. I've listened to the mixes for several days over a variety of systems, and it's the most transportable set of mixes yet that I've done.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I like iZotopoe but just have some of the Elements stuff from when it was $29 a plugin.

They seem to have ideas and execution down nicely.

Their interface for managing products is streamlined, fast and effective.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten a little more traction. The more I use this tool, the more I like it. But I guess you kind of need to experience how it works to "get" why it's cool. I particularly like that it doesn't process anything, it just gives you some insight into your music's spectral distribution.

It is on my ever-shortening list of plugins I want to add to my accumulation.

I've got other priorities right now so I'll wait for the next big sale.

By then I should have my "don't need these" mess pretty well cleaned up.

Looks like a real game changer for getting mixes into the ballpark quickly.

Drop it into your output sector, see if there are offending frequencies and then solo and check the "likely suspect" tracks individually and dial away the abberations.

Quick and scientifical!!! :- D

It provides assurance when one is mixing on headphones, something I do as needed, having neighbors a wall away and it being 1am and stuff.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Friend of mine uses a lot of Izotope products, and it's all very impressive, advanced stuff. Expensive! That's the main reason I haven't sprung for any of their products to date, the prices.

I do think the Total Balance Control looks like a great idea. Once I mix my own stuff, and I'm totally used to the sound, my focus is so much on item-to-item balancing within the mix that I lose track of just how the overall balance sounds. It's hard to hear the thing "as a lump" rather than as a combination of so many internal relations. I think the TBC product could help with that.

Reminds me a bit of the old Har-Bal software. Does Har-Bal still exist? Anyone still use it?

nat