Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

I now have a P121 as my office keyboard. It's great. Smaller footprint perfect for the space. I won't be back in my office until next year, but I'll see if I can notice the black key issue then.

My P121 exhibits a similar black key behavior where quickly repeated hard struck notes result in a somewhat diminished volume for the follow-ons. I don't know if it's exactly the same because I can't put the P121 and CP73 side by side. I want to say it's a little less noticeable on the P121, but that's kind of a hard comparison for me to make because I wasn't noticing it on either keyboard until I purposefully tried to make it happen.

The P121 is a great little piano. I did a dinner set for my organization's holiday party, really enjoyed playing it. This involved walking 5 blocks from my office to the party venue carrying it on a shoulder strap, so I was glad for the portability.

Thank you very much for reply!

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all, did anyone tried the new firmware 1.30 which is available at the Yamaha website since today? There are two new Rhodes samples coming with. I would be very interested in how they sound.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Not at this price point. Here we pay for the action and the limited sound set. At the MODX price you get the sounds without the action. To get a Montage you have to pay for one. That"s Yamaha.

Same as why the Electro has no synth. And the Wave 2 has no organ engine. You have to pay for a Stage to get all that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hello, did anyone try the three new samples from v1.3? I am espacially interested in how the two new Rhodes are sounding, because there are only a few seconds of demo of these at the Yamaha demos from the Namm show.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

So are you stuck with one rendition of a tone wheel organ or can you adjust drawbars?

It"s a ROMpler with a really good piano-like action.

No organ section. You find them under 'other'.

YC61 is their organ with Drawbars now. :)

Just speculation, it"s always hard to read Yamaha. But what is for sure is that the YC and CP models this year share a similar interface but one is organ centric - has a 61k 'organ type' action, and the other is piano centric 73/88k weighted 'piano-like' actions. I doubt they would do the YC in a weighted action, but I could be wrong. Offering the YC in a 73 or 76k variant would make sense, not sure why it doesn"t exist at inception the way the CP arrived immediately with 88 and 73k versions.

I would be surprised to hear the CP series is discontinued. The CP88 is Yamaha's flagship portable stage piano (sort of, P515 is heavier and less "pro", more "home"), and both were introduced relatively recently. It's possible that they want to clear the current production run in order to introduce some updates (fixing the CP73 black key issue for example)...

Cheers, Mike.

Thank You very much for answer. I had to make a decision between CP 73 and used Nord 5 HP and I can not decide. I would use it mostly for AP and EP. What do you think? I have played only CP 88 and i loved the feel of the keyboard. But 73 has a different one. I love Nord sounds, but dont know about HP feel.

Stefan011, I have a CP73. IMO the action is very high quality, just about perfect for a stage piano that focuses on EP's as well as acoustic piano sounds. The CFX sample, as well as the S700 and upright, all cut through great in a band context- IMO just as good as the Nord Bright Grand which I previously used. I compensate for it's organs by Velcro-ing an HX3 organ module to the space on the top right. It's an easy matter to connect a short patch cable (2 for stereo) to the CP73's audio inputs, which have their own gain control (great feature).

I was just trying one out yesterday but didn"t check out the underside.

I"m mostly interested in the CP73 which ticks my main boxes - lighter weighted action, outstanding AP/EPs with more just released, portability, connectivity, immediate and intuitive interface. I had dismissed this board earlier but have warmed up to it considerably having finally opened my frickin" mind (and checked out the videos and interactive thread, thank you Mr. Fortner!).

Here for the gear.

Stupid question, I know, but does the CP73 have MDF (wood composite) underneath? I guess the CP88 does, much like the Montage8.

Update it's metal - seems to be the same material as the top. Probably aluminium - definitely not steel.

Stupid question, I know, but does the CP73 have MDF (wood composite) underneath? I guess the CP88 does, much like the Montage8.

Update it's metal - seems to be the same material as the top. Probably aluminium - definitely not steel.

And what about side panels? Also aluminium?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

The premise of this series is that there'll be expanded content:

"regular OS updates that will contain new high-quality content designed to complement the CP73"s original soundset."

Does that mean there's user memory for loading in new samples? And is 57 sounds, as per the SW website, what it still has, or have they added more since the launch?

The 73 seems like a dream board in many respects, for size and weight, sound quality and user friendliness, but 57 sounds?!!!! In general I prefer fewer but better sounds, but with only 57 that is mighty meager.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB