Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

@al quinn how do you find it responds the VSTs in regards to touch? I'm currently using my old Nord Stage classic as a controller and it's not great. And yes, nearly neighbors. I have a gig Saturday as well in Patchogue....Bluepoint Brewery. Where are you going to be at?

If I may jump in:

I got my new PX-S3000 a couple weeks ago. It is wonderful with my VSTs such as PianoTeq and even the Mainstage Pianos.

In PianoTeq, I just took some time to go thru the velocity curve setup. It it VERY expressive.

My first gig, the day after I bought it, I used it to control my Yamaha MODX6. Even with that, it felt and sounded great playing the Bosendorfer piano I use on the MODX6

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I have to vent a couple of frustrations here & hope someone has a curative answer.

1. I was hoping the Chordana app would give you access to the DSP page. That can get very tedious trying to go in & adjust all the numerous parameters from the screen on the piano. The effects tab only takes you to the reverb & chorus page. On top of which the app runs from extremely laggy to totally unresponsive when running it from my phone (Samsung S8).

2. The electric pianos are out of tune on the top octaves. They're noticeably flat compared to the middle ones. I can't find any page that has tuning options other than the scale type and stretch tuning isn't an option in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas on the app (or on the piano in the case of the tuning) that I may be missing or what the remedy might be?

Thanks.

@al quinn how do you find it responds the VSTs in regards to touch? I'm currently using my old Nord Stage classic as a controller and it's not great. And yes, nearly neighbors. I have a gig Saturday as well in Patchogue....Bluepoint Brewery. Where are you going to be at?

I"ve used the S3000 with Keyscape / Gig Performer and it works well. The touch is very good considering the price and weight. It"s a lot of fun to play!

I played at Bobbique in Patchogue on 11/2. Fun gig. Have a great gig Saturday night! I haven"t been to the Bluepoint Brewery but I"ve enjoyed their beer for years.

If you would like to check out my S3000, let me know.

Is anyone else experiencing a "dead zone" on the acoustic piano from around Bb above middle C to around E or Eb above it. The rest of the keyboard sounds pretty full and rich but that one area sounds somewhat muffled & lifeless. Almost like that area used a sample from a model from 15 or so years ago. I tried a few of the different pianos and it occurs on all of them. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Help! All my sounds are now that awful Galaxia EP. For the life of me I can't figure out the logic of changing DSP parameters. I tried to change the effects on the Galaxia EP and now ALL my sounds sound like that EP â Grand Piano, organ, everything. In the window there is now an L in the middle. What does that mean? How do I get my grand piano sound back? I have a party to play tomorrow night. What's going on with my S3000?

Edit: turns out I had hit the split function so that every voice was split with the Galaxia EP over the whole keyboard.

But I'm still mystified about how changing the tone parameters works.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

BTW, I would love a video or a written piece on how to to get the most of each knob configuration
Quoting this for agreement. I need a primer on knob use, down to the level of step 1 push this button, step 2 then push this button, then each knob does this, etc.

Consider it done. Stay tuned.

Is this done? I'd love to see it.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

For a clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes I simply defeat the factory DSP effects setting for "EP 1" (default DSP =heavy Phaser and Vibrato) and instead I select DSP "Stereo 3 Band EQ". For more tine simply boost the Hi EQ (5.0kHz) gain by +4. Again I use the great Reverb Room 2.
I wish I could get a step-by-step instruction for how to do this: "step 1 - push this button, step 2 - press this" etc.

BTW, I would love a video or a written piece on how to to get the most of each knob configuration
Quoting this for agreement. I need a primer on knob use, down to the level of step 1 push this button, step 2 then push this button, then each knob does this, etc.

Consider it done. Stay tuned.

Is this done? I'd love to see it.

I'll try to squeeze a Youtube live video in this week. If I can't it would be the week following NAMM.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'll try to squeeze a Youtube live video in this week. If I can't it would be the week following NAMM.
A video would be most excellent. I can wait until after NAMM. My brother's there. And I can get an extra pass if anyone needs one.

So, I'm in registrations and I set up a piano/bass split. I now want to exit and go back to original screen when first turned on, so I hit exit/function button but I get to a screen with "L" highlighted to change sound of left sound (bass.) It appears that split function doesn't turn off and I can't get back to original screen with exit/function button. It appears OS will not exit from registrations directly to main screen and I'm left with scrolling until I can turn off split.

Any better solution?

For price point PX S3000 is great but OS not so much. Probably how cost is kept low.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Couple of questions:

- how are the speakers when playing in a normal sized living room (piano against the wall), how is the bass, or is there none to speak of (not expecting subwoofer level, but at least a bit of punch in the lower notes) ?

- there's apparently some noise when connecting an iPad to the Line in of the PX-S1000 (strangely enough, I've got the same problem with my MP11SE, seems iPads do that) ; so is it possible to hear sound via Bluetooth at the same time when connecting via USB and a Apple Camera Adapter ?

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

Thanks for the info @al quinn and I'm sure I'll see you around town at some point. I'm a regular at Bobbique (gigging and eating). It definitely sounds like this would fit my needs as a controller as I really don't need a whole lot of fader/knobs. In fact, with my electro 5D on top I really can't get to any knobs that aren't on the side.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to get rid of my acoustic grand that I've had for years. I will really miss it for many reasons.

I have a PX-S3000 on the way, not as a replacement, but to use in the meantime while I save for a higher-end digital. No telling what DP's will be out by then.

I think the 3000 will be fun, and can have a lot of other uses down the road with gigs, jamming, DAW, etc... Light enough to move around to wherever. Will probably keep it until it breaks.

Anyhoo, not that exciting for you guys I'm sure, but just thought I would try to contribute something to the discussion.

We will be going live on YouTube next Wednesday (Feb 12) to answer some of the recent questions here on editing tones, knobs and more.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have been in the market for a digital piano in this price range and have tried quite a few.

Kawai ES110, terrible clacky keybed so did not turn on the keyboard.

Korg B2, OK sound but a spongey, no feel keybed.

Korg D1, reasonable sound quality, not a bad keybed but the following are all better.

Casio S3000, great sounds and features let down a bit by the keybed. No opposition in the price range but it is getting close to the price of a Roland RD88 for it to be considered by myself

Casio S1000, great sounds with limited features with keybed like the S3000

Yamaha, P121/125 great piano sounds, a bit lacking clarity in the non piano sounds but still very playable

Roland FP 30, great sounds throughout and the best keybed of them all imo, piano sounds of Yamaha are better but it is let down by limited output options.

So a close call between the P121/125 and the FP30 but IMO both are far better than the Casio models.

So good in fact that I have just bought a P121 to put me on before I decide what workstation I want to buy.

Col

Hope you never hear an acoustic action, if you are ever in the market, as you would dis every maker. IMO, action noise means zip, unless you're worried about neighbors and family while playing with headphones.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The ES110 has some 'bounce back' noise, but that's just because it tries to emulate a real acoustic grand, but the noise is not that bad. Perhaps there was something wrong with the one you played...

Yamaha GHS is not bad, but rather far from the feel of a real acoustic.

If you really want to hear a clacky keybed, try a Casio PX560 (or 360/160), nice feeling action but unless you're using it on a stage, it'll make the spiders in your house run like hell :laugh:

The new PX-S models have a much, much quieter action, mind you...

The ES110 with its GHC keybed is more for pianists, while the P125/121 is more for keyboard players (in my humble opinion). And the PX-S series might be somewhere in between. That's how I look at it (kind of)...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

Argh, no midi jack means it's a non-starter for me....most likely. Just a very odd omission. I think I'd always want to option if gigging to be able to trigger sounds from my other keyboard...

Still going to try this out since what I primarily need is a new weighted controller to replace my ancient, dying Studiologic one. That has a TP-40 action though and I'm pretty used to it after more than 25 years, so changing things up will be tough. :)

Hope you never hear an acoustic action, if you are ever in the market, as you would dis every maker. IMO, action noise means zip, unless you're worried about neighbors and family while playing with headphones.

My thoughts exactly. Out of those mentioned ES110 has the best action by a mile.

My thoughts exactly. Out of those mentioned ES110 has the best action by a mile.

Sorry folks, what I wrote is what I found.

Add all the key noise from all the other keyboards and it would still be far less than the Kawai.

Maybe it was just a bad example but it was what it was.

Yes, I have played acoustic and they are far quieter than the ES110 I tried.

You may like a noisy action but I do not want to wake the neighbours with the loud clacking when Imam playing late at night with the headphone on so the Kawai was a non starter.

Col

My ES110 action is quiet and fast and with lower inertia resistance than others in its class. The Piano and Rhodes samples are good when edited. A noisy action has no importance, real piano actions are noisy but folks don"t seem to notice. What counts is inertia, down weight and up weight and return speed. What good is a quiet action if it wears you out, doesn"t let you perform at high speed?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

So, I'm in registrations and I set up a piano/bass split. I now want to exit and go back to original screen when first turned on, so I hit exit/function button but I get to a screen with "L" highlighted to change sound of left sound (bass.) It appears that split function doesn't turn off and I can't get back to original screen with exit/function button. It appears OS will not exit from registrations directly to main screen and I'm left with scrolling until I can turn off split.

Any better solution?

For price point PX S3000 is great but OS not so much. Probably how cost is kept low.

Probably get an answer here: https://www.casiomusicforums.com/

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Any better solution?

Best solution is to make your first registration a "go home" setup with just your favorite piano, nothing else.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Any better solution?

Best solution is to make your first registration a "go home" setup with just your favorite piano, nothing else.

Moved on, sold it. :wave:

My ES110 action is quiet and fast and with lower inertia resistance than others in its class. The Piano and Rhodes samples are good when edited. A noisy action has no importance, real piano actions are noisy but folks don"t seem to notice. What counts is inertia, down weight and up weight and return speed. What good is a quiet action if it wears you out, doesn"t let you perform at high speed?

Glad you are happy with your ES110

If a keybed has a noisy action is important for me, since I play with headphones on at home and my Wife is in the next room and sure as eggs are eggs she does not want to hear the clack, clack of me playing a noisy Kawai ES110 keybed.

Hence a Kawaii ES110 is a non starter.

The other, far more expensive Kawaii piano I looked at in the store did not have the noisy keybed but was £1000 more expensive.

Col