Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage piano recommendation

My theory as to why the CP4 has such a popular action: of all the digital pianos, it's the model with the longest key pivot distance.

It's unrealistic in other ways, for example it has springs, no escapement feel, and very high key upweights, 40% higher than the highest Steinway. Also, the piano modeling has no string resonance. All these things would be deal breakers for many folks if not for the long pivot distance.

I think this just shows how important pivot distance is -- it takes priority over pretty much everything. One thing it does not take priority over though is a high spring tension, otherwise the Korg Kross would be up there with the CP4. The spring tension is low enough in the CP4 that the desirable downweight dip in the hammer action is still noticeable.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no love for the the Casio PX-S1000 or 3000?

The OP tried it and didn't like it. And with a $1500 budget, there are a wide range of options that can be better in one respect or another, new to say nothing of used as some people have suggested.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Stoo,

Comparing the Kawai Es 110 and Yamaha P 125, wich has a greater pivot distance?

J

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Stoo,

Comparing the Kawai Es 110 and Yamaha P 125, wich has a greater pivot distance?

J

ES110. And ES100 whad even greater, but I think ES110 has better samples.

GHS in Yamahas is one of the shortest for the hammer actions, together with most Casios and Fatar TP100.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

I can't speak as to pivot distance, but I do much prefer my ES110's action to Yamaha's GHS. It just feels and plays more naturally. My only issue with it is it's too light to keep my fingers in shape for the gigs I do on acoustic grands (which are for the most part not late model Steinways). For that reason my next DP will probably be a Kawai ES8.

I've become a fan of the P515. If I'm asked to do something piano-centric and a separate output for split bass isn't needed, I'm grabbing the P515 every time these days, despite its extra pounds over the CP4 or Stage 3.

Keyboard connection / touch are excellent.

If several registrations are needed, the WIFI usb adapter (usb cable and Apple camera adapter can also be used) and an iPad mini provide full touch screen control which allows one-touch registrations with the names and orders needed, access to over 500 voices, and the reassurance that even the dimmest stage lighting between songs for dramatic effect won't leave me with the drama of trying to find and select the correct panel buttons.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410