Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicianship

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Musicianship has been dead since Gregorian chant. And it's the millenials' fault, with their smartphones and all!
They should all get off my lawn.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Musicianship has been dead since Gregorian chant. And it's the millenials' fault, with their smartphones and all!
They should all get off my lawn.

I'm sending these millennial punks from my old man lawn over to yours. Their racket is causing my prostate to act up while I'm trying to chill to KC Sunshine and the Sunshine Band.

[video:youtube]

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I'm sending these millennial punks from my old man lawn over to yours. Their racket is causing my prostrate to act up while I'm trying to chill to KC Sunshine and the Sunshine Band.

That's Leo Pellegrino, one of my faves.

[video:youtube]

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yeah I've seen that video and I became familiar with him about a year ago. The kid has monster chops, is a showman, and is creative as all hell. I'd rather have a bunch of young guns like him in my old man lawn than a bunch old embittered farts.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Theres plenty of young people with this level and even higher levels of musicianship nowadays, but most of them aren"t on the ' top ten' . Everything is automated now. I wonder how many current charted pop songs have a live rhythm section, horns , strings ..., ?
Yes, I'd say that the evolving capitalist machine is more at fault here than a lack of musicianship, songwriting, or musical excellence. It's just expensive and labor-intensive to maintain a great band when you make no money from recordings and have to be on the road 250 days a year playing midsize clubs; I've seen a few bands I really, really like hang it up for that reason. In Top-10 land, Lizzo's stuff is pretty cool, and she performs with a crack live band, but I think most of the pop stuff is to clicks and tracks.

Turkuaz is one of the most incredible ensembles I've ever seen, vocals, instruments, arrangements, just tight as a drum (and 50% multi-instrumentalists). Snarky Puppy has been tossed around plenty on this forum. Anything Chris Thile touches turns to gold. In the hip-hop world, Anderson .Paak is a killer singing/rapping drummer whose live band is unreal. Even just perusing the Tiny Desk concert feed is a little overwhelming; there's so much out there in every conceivable style that's impressive in so many different ways.

But if you're looking to be on top 40 radio, there's a specific niche you have to fill, and not a lot of wiggle room to evolve within it. Great songwriting and excellent live vocal performances are not discouraged, but not a requirement. I just played an Eagles tribute show, and while I'd call them a pop band (especially compared to an act like CSNY, with whom Henley & co had a lot in common but couldn't quite match for compositional sophistication), they played as a live five-piece performing all those vocal harmonies and sold zillions of records during their heydey. But that's when rock was the top-40 pop music of the day. That hasn't been the case for awhile now.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I think there's plenty of good musicians out there...heck my kids are in their school bands and I have been pretty astounded at the songs these kids are pulling off on (IMO) very difficult-to-play instruments like french horns and trombones that they have only played for a year or so.

I think live music is pretty much dead as far as rock and pop though. When local bands playing dive bars are running tracks that include instruments they are playing and backup vocals, count me the f*** out. I already won't pay a ticket for a big act unless I'm satisfied the "track quotient" is low enough. I'd rather go down and watch a local acoustic guy or duo brave enough to try to pull off tunes without all the help. The problem is now that audiences and club owners are not only used to tracks, they expect it. We network with many bands in town and the ones that get the gigs are basically glorified karaoke with over-the-top goofy stage shows and tons of tracks. Sucks but at least I got decades of gigging in first :)

I think live music is pretty much dead as far as rock and pop though. When local bands playing dive bars are running tracks that include instruments they are playing and backup vocals, count me the f*** out. I already won't pay a ticket for a big act unless I'm satisfied the "track quotient" is low enough. I'd rather go down and watch a local acoustic guy or duo brave enough to try to pull off tunes without all the help. The problem is now that audiences and club owners are not only used to tracks, they expect it. We network with many bands in town and the ones that get the gigs are basically glorified karaoke with over-the-top goofy stage shows and tons of tracks. Sucks but at least I got decades of gigging in first :)

I live in a small town and there's not much demand for live music. As a musician I have refused to use backing tracks, I have a pretty substantial MIDI rig and I'd rather rise to the challenge and figure out how to play as many parts as I can. The biggest challenge was pulling off the theatrical presentation of Pink Floyd "The Wall"; playing the orchestral stuff for "The Trial" had both hands busy and a foot playing parts on MIDI bass pedals (I was standing while playing). The guitar player's wife (trained musician) was in the audience and when she heard that she was sure it was backing tracks.

I have played in a top40 band years ago where we used a drum machine; while I prefer live musicians, that stuff is too boring for drummers to play. Bass players would had been bored too, my LH was the bass player. Top40 was in demand, played four nights a week, made my best $$$ back then.

I played LH bass plus keys in an R&B band. A respected bass player in the audience was hearing a bass guitar but couldn't see the bass player. Some songs I do strap on a bass guitar - he sees a bass player then realizes wait he's the keyboard player...

Mind you while it's fun doing the multitasking, I do welcome other musicians.

There's two bands in my town that are drawing decent crowds, and I'm in one of them. The nearest large city with better draw is 90 miles away, too far and there's no decent way to get there without avoiding hills and winter snow.

There's not many accomplished musicians around here either. Once other musicians had learned that I play keyboards, sing high harmonies, and play decent rhythm guitar then they tried to drag me away into their band. I'm a wanted man.

A good friend's band plays REO and Journey covers with heavy piano parts and no pianist in sight. No keyboard player either. It's pretty lame, he knows it but it's a gig and people don't care. Another friend used to play in Emerald City and played some of their tracks for me. They played the White House so it's definitely working. Some bands I'll give a pass on tracks like Nightwish orchestra and choir backing tracks. Tuomas just plays along, headbanging. We're not there there see him anyway :)

I think live music is pretty much dead as far as rock and pop though.

Maybe where you are, but its alive and well and growing in my part of the country.

We network with many bands in town and the ones that get the gigs are basically glorified karaoke with over-the-top goofy stage shows and tons of tracks.

The top Tribute acts out here do not run tracks.

In my band, all 5 of us sing, so no vocal tracks.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• 2 weeks later...

I think live music is pretty much dead as far as rock and pop though.

Maybe where you are, but its alive and well and growing in my part of the country.

We network with many bands in town and the ones that get the gigs are basically glorified karaoke with over-the-top goofy stage shows and tons of tracks.

The top Tribute acts out here do not run tracks.

In my band, all 5 of us sing, so no vocal tracks.

I'm in Colorado, and have almost never encountered backing tracks out here. I'm certainly not in the tribute act realm of the music scene, the people I've played with aren't trying to be top 40 pop stars, but of the hundreds of gigs I've played and bands I've shared bills with, only one used backing tracks from what I can recall (and they were a tribute act, Pink Floyd, and they were kinda divas and disrespectful of the sound guy).

Up here in Whatcom/Skagit counties, I can think of only a couple of bands where the vocalist might use a harmonizer (Martian Vocal Defibrillator) and/or a loop once in a while.

It is rare, most of us play music without any canned pre-accompaniment or devices.

The singer in the band I am in knows hundreds if not thousands of songs off the top of his head.

I know a few myself.

We are either a duo with 2 vocalists and 2 guitars or a band with the addition of bass and drums.

We don't have a set list.

We don't have a song list.

What we play depends on the people who show up and what they want to hear. Rock, pop, soul, country, blues etc.

We'll throw a kitchen sink mix at them and then focus on what gets a response.

4 + years in and 100-150 gigs a year, I wouldn't change a thing.

Spent 9 years in CA with a similar singer, we just played.

Also played in a Motown "tribute" band up here for a couple of years - 6 pieces with 2 lead singers, no female singers, no orchestras or horn sections or percussion ensembles.

We did have a set list for 4 sets and adhered to it unless we had a request for something we knew. No way in Hell you are getting 6 guys to sound like a full-blown Motown production.

So what? All of these bands filled the dance floor consistently.

It is my experience that musicians over-think and over-emphasize the importance of doing a precise rendition of a cover tune.

Not sure if that is insecurity, simply a mind-set that I am not able to comprehend or what exactly.

And I am not telling others what to do or not do, if it's working for you and you are happy, proceed!

The audience wants to shake their asses and sing along to the chorus. If you play their kind of music the tip jars are blessed.

For the most part, they don't seem to even notice that the solo was maybe not a saxophone or not the exact same notes or the backup vocals where different or whatever.

They DON"T CARE AT ALL, at least not around here or back in Fresno.

Taking requests on the fly and playing our own versions of songs has been working great for me for a LONG time. Keeps me on my toes! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

A good friend's band plays REO and Journey covers with heavy piano parts and no pianist in sight. No keyboard player either. It's pretty lame, he knows it but it's a gig and people don't care. Another friend used to play in Emerald City and played some of their tracks for me. They played the White House so it's definitely working. Some bands I'll give a pass on tracks like Nightwish orchestra and choir backing tracks. Tuomas just plays along, headbanging. We're not there there see him anyway :)

So what's the point?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com