Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixing tutorial: It's easy!! Move the faders until all the sounds are balanced, and if they sound funny, use equalization to change the tone. Then slather on a bunch of reverb, squash the crap out of it, and voila - a modern-sounding mix!

1. Make the vocal sound good if there is one. If the vocal sounds bad, make it sound way worse. Either way, compress it beyond all reason. Pan it to the center. Then add reverb.

2. Choose either the bass or the kick drum. Pull out some mids and compress it until it hits zero but no higher. Pan it to the center.

3 Whichever one you didn't use for 2, make it fit with 2. Compress it, a lot. Pan it to the center.

4. Now make the snare drum sound huge. Use an enveloped low pass filter to make it sound deeper as it decays. Add a ton of short reverb and compression.

5. Pan everything else to the sides. Stick a bunch of plugins on them and make them sound weird and jittery. Add delay.

6.Export using Normalize.

Done.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Happy New Year y'all.

We gigged for a bunch of wonderful, French Canadians spending the winter in South Florida. They hit the dance floor on the first song and the floor wasn't empty until we were done. It was so much fun we did 4 hours without a break.

At the stroke of midnight I did what I have done since I was 18 years old, played "Auld Lang Syne" on a gig to a happy group of revelers.

It's a great way to start the year.

Wishing the best to all my forum friends this year

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

It's a great way to start the year.

Hmmm...maybe I need to plan a trip to Florida next new year's eve :) That's not a casual comment, I'm really thinking it would be doable and a lot of fun!

Maybe all MusicPlayer people within driving distance should descend on your gig next year. Yeah, that's the ticket... :)

Serious good advice from me this time.

Subscription to Tape Op magazine is free - www.tapeop.com.

I've learned many great things, Recording, studio gear reviews, mixing, ways of thinking about things, esoterica and excellent interviews with many fascinating people involved in the process.

They'll send a printed copy or you can download from an email.

I would also recommend participation in the remix and production competitions held at www.metapop.com.

A great opportunity to work on a variety of mixing projects. Worst case, much is learned.

Prizes for winning are fantastic tracking, mixing and production tools for working with music.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.