Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Behringer Synth - minor concerns?

I was the grateful recipient of a new Behringer MS-1 this holiday season. Merry Synth-mas to me!

It's red and the first analog synth I've ever owned. I'm mostly quite happy with it but a couple things I noticed have been bugging me.

-a couple of the keys seem to stick occasionally. it has no bearing on the sound but its just a minor annoyance (so far).

-I noticed that the default tuning is slightly out of whack. I feel like this is probably a normal thing with analog synths but for some reason I expected it to be in tune when I opened it out of the box, and take some time for it to drift off. When I turn the pitch tuning knob slightly over to 11'o'clock position then it sounds in tune with my other 440 hz instruments. (this is my least concern at the moment).

-some of the keys in the middle area of the keybed have less tension than the ones further to the sides. I thought this was odd.

-it seemed like the packaging inside the box possibly may have been opened then re-sealed. There was packing tape around the original plastic that houses the electronics (keyboard, power supply and accessory). This might just be standard but I don't recall other keyboards being packaged in this way.

maybe I'm being too finicky but it kind of feels like I received a slightly used keyboard. I know for a fact it wasn't a "demo" model that was purchased at a discount rated. I also understand that this is a lower tier synth brand so maybe I just need to lower my standards and learn to be content with it. Thought I might get a second opinion from the experts here at this forum. Do I have any reason to contact the dealer? It's Sweetwater.

thanks for reading.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me, I would get an RA from Sweetwater and ask for a new one without keyboard problems. Stuck keys is unheard of - wonder how they managed that?

Edit: was there a bag of candy inside? If so, that's why the packaging was opened. Some people dislike that, others don't mind.

Moe

---

Good to know. Packaging wise I am referring to the individual plastic bags that house the keyboard itself (inside the styrofoam compartment) as well as the power supply, etc... not to be confused with the general packaging that the box came in. I think the candy would be in there (didn't see any because it was a gift).

I have the Odyssey and the keyboard is fine - no sticky keys. It feels a bit cheap but plays a lot better than my original MK3 which was very clunky. I also have the Neutron and the Model D. All synths and accessories came in separate plastic bags, sealed with clear sticky tape. It was almost impossible to open the bags without ripping them a little. I wonder if this is Behringer's way of making sure you don't receive a B-stock product.

There is no way an analogue synth is going to be in tune out of the box unless it's digitally controlled like DSI P6, OB6 etc. The fact that the Tune knob is not bang on 12 o'clock is down to calibration and nothing to worry about. As long as it tracks across the keyboard and doesn't drift. The 3340 oscillator is very stable and should stay in tune all day long.

I've been very impressed with all my Behringer purchases - I've bought a couple of mixers in the last few years and recently the synths. Sound and build quality is excellent and even the packaging is nice. My latest purchase was a UMC 1820 audio interface - again very happy with that choice too.

Waiting for the next big announcement - hoping for the 2600. I will no doubt buy at least one more Behringer synth.

I have a red MS-1. The keys sometimes scratch me when I play. I think it's the sides or the bottom of the keys. The action itself is OK.

The biggest disappointment for me is that the MS-1 won't send pitch bend over MIDI. It would make a great controller otherwise, especially with the velocity CV out.

I have the Odyssey and the keyboard is fine - no sticky keys. It feels a bit cheap but plays a lot better than my original MK3 which was very clunky. I also have the Neutron and the Model D. All synths and accessories came in separate plastic bags, sealed with clear sticky tape. It was almost impossible to open the bags without ripping them a little. I wonder if this is Behringer's way of making sure you don't receive a B-stock product.

This puts me at ease regarding the packaging thing. It sounds exactly what I had to deal with when I opened it. I thought possibly it was a shoddy attempt at resealing something that had been previously played and resealed but now probably not.

There is no way an analogue synth is going to be in tune out of the box unless it's digitally controlled like DSI P6, OB6 etc. The fact that the Tune knob is not bang on 12 o'clock is down to calibration and nothing to worry about. As long as it tracks across the keyboard and doesn't drift. The 3340 oscillator is very stable and should stay in tune all day long.

Ah, this makes sense. Good to know!

I've been very impressed with all my Behringer purchases - I've bought a couple of mixers in the last few years and recently the synths. Sound and build quality is excellent and even the packaging is nice. My latest purchase was a UMC 1820 audio interface - again very happy with that choice too.

I won't lie, it's a blast to play on. I have one question though. Do any of the keybed actions in your other Behringer boards feel uneven to you? Kind of like the middle seems to be less firm action-wise than the top and bottom keys? I'm used to playing cheap keybeds and haven't experienced this before so I thought I'd ask.

I have a red MS-1. The keys sometimes scratch me when I play. I think it's the sides or the bottom of the keys. The action itself is OK.

The biggest disappointment for me is that the MS-1 won't send pitch bend over MIDI. It would make a great controller otherwise, especially with the velocity CV out.

That's unfortunate! I'm not sure I could deal with that. I'm thankful my MS-1 does not scratch me at all. :o

Keyman27 - does the action in your MS-1 feel wonky to you? Like I was describing earlier where the top and bottom keys take more pressure to push down than the middle section?

Keyman27 - does the action in your MS-1 feel wonky to you? Like I was describing earlier where the top and bottom keys take more pressure to push down than the middle section?

Not that I have noticed. It's not a great action overall but it doesn't feel uneven.

Years ago when I bought a new Moog Voyager the first thing I did was open it up and adjust the tune, scale and range of the three oscillators. They were out just enough to bother me. As someone already said, it is analog.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to know how to adjust it other than using the fine tuning knob.

• 3 weeks later...