Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New book, Really good read!

Just wanted to share

For Christmas my nephew bought me a really good book that I am really loving. I'm up to chapter 7, and have a hard time putting it down.

Highly recommended.

The book is...

"Time is Tight, My Life, Note by Note" by Booker T. Jones.

Each section has an eighth note followed by a number. These correspond the some musical passages noted in the back that convey the feeling or temperament of the scene that follows.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add one to the list: "Electri-city: The Dusseldorf School of Electronic Music" by Rudi Esch. Its a detailed recounting of the general 1970-1986 period of German-rooted music such as that of Kraftwerk and Can. There is plenty of colorful input from OMD, legendary engineer Conny Plank, Michael Rother and many others. You get an honest feel for the socio-political frictions of the time, as well as the odd creativity of the various players cross-colliding and inspiring one another. I especially appreciated hearing from Roedelius concerning Kluster and Harmonia, which included Brian Eno at one point. Its a semi-dry read, but also a good historical one if you have any interest in the real godfathers of ambient & the earliest pioneers of the new music technology. Its also a very well-made book on heavy stock, so if you need one to throw at someone, you can be assured that it will allow you to strike with real conviction.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"