Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer strikes once more

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They"re on fire. Clearly Uli has told the engineers they"ve got blank check to get these analogues out. Thomanns is showing the Behringer D and TD-8 clone have made their top sellers. Hey, you know, Roland won"t listen to the street about reissues because they"re so deeply invested in the modeling. Korg dabbles and Yamaha is likewise avoiding a trip down memory lane. The only choice has been more boutique and more expensive brands. Market was ripe.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They"re on fire. Clearly Uli has told the engineers they"ve got blank check to get these analogues out.

I was going to ask how a small company could crank out so many niche products so quickly. Then I looked it up, and according to Wikipedia, they have 3500 employees. So I guess they can do whatever they want.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

They"re on fire. Clearly Uli has told the engineers they"ve got blank check to get these analogues out. Thomanns is showing the Behringer D and TD-8 clone have made their top sellers. Hey, you know, Roland won"t listen to the street about reissues because they"re so deeply invested in the modeling. Korg dabbles and Yamaha is likewise avoiding a trip down memory lane. The only choice has been more boutique and more expensive brands. Market was ripe.

Agreed. In one sense, I roll my eyes a bit at what Pete Townshend called "The neoteric lust" for vintage gear. I'm a bit down the road from the days I was into hot-rodding monosynths and twirling knobs in real-time, before polyphony arose. Still, I'm keenly interested in the feel of the alleged poly AT keyboard slated for their CS-80 clone. That sounds like the right kind of 'organic' aspect for where I am now. With a 3-year warranty, I could imagine putting my fingers in my ears, going la-la-la to the haters and taking that particular leap. Are any of us likely to ever possess a real CS-80, unsane upkeep and all? What if I buy the darned thing and it measures up? No online bitch-slap fight counts for much, especially when proven reality kicks it firmly in the logic.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Has anyone does comparisons with all these Behringer analogs? I just wonder if they are doing a better job than Arturia did when they first released a bunch of VA's of the old analogs. It sounded like the Arp, Yamaha and Moog VA's in their set were all using the same filter coding.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A good friend of mine bought the D.

It"s small, it has small knobs. Build and feel is lesser than, but adequate. It sounds both strikingly similar to and as pleasing as its Moog inspiration.

The TD-8 is on its way. I"ll know what"s up with that one real soon.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Must be fun to work there.

Hard to say. Could be a fun place, or a prison, or somewhere in between (and no disrespect intended by my comment).

For people that love synths, it's amazing what Behringer is doing.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

True, but just wondering how much of a market there is for this particular synth. And the Wasp as well for that matter. :idk:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

True, but just wondering how much of a market there is for this particular synth. And the Wasp as well for that matter. :idk:

Coming from a product development background, I imagine that the engineering and manufacturing tools and teams required to do the first few synths were so cost effective that Uli kept them in the harness and they keep on pumping out new versions of old synths. Uli makes childhood dreams come true, the musical world benefits, and successful teams keep producing. After a dozen synth recreations the process is smooth and the costs for reproducing the simpler synths is probably fairly small.

Yep, I'm sure he's able to leverage some of the development of reproduction chips as well as manufacturing capital to lower development costs. Plus, spreading the capital expenditures across a wider variety of products as well as increasing overall volume of common components also will reduce per-unit cost across the board.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My impression is that while it was relatively unknown in the US, the CAT was a lot bigger deal in Europe.

Moe

---

I wish/hope they go more the Deepmind route than the "copy exactly" route. For example, he has said they won't have fx on the UB-Xa...after all, the original OB-Xa didn't :P

That rules out many of their products for me and probably the UB-Xa as well. I play live and am not going to bring an external fx unit. No biggie, there are many other products out there but it seems like a short-sighted mentality. If the majority of players don't want/need the fx or other new modern features on their vintage gear, so be it.