Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey ya'll

Thought I'd check back in. It's been a bit of a season so I haven't been all that vocal here for a minute.

Big job change finally completed, thank God. With that comes a brand new season of life to go with the new year. I'm feeling very very optimistic for 2020. Accepted a new role as a full time tenure-track at a local college with a beautiful campus, smaller class sizes. Opportunity to long-term really shape the direction of a college business department. And did I mention full-time tenure track? Those of you who adjunct at colleges or universities might appreciate the implications.

Played my last three back-to-back Winter gigs sick as a dog. Man that was brutal - sleep to the last minute, Day Quil to do the gig, drag myself home and NyQuil to get to sleep, than rinse and repeat. Good money, but the walking dead.

Anyway, I strained my right wrist during the busy Winter gig season. At first I thought it was carpal tunnel, but Peter (my piano teacher) remarked it didn't present like tha. And I don't really do repetitive stress type stuff. I think it was schlepping the damn Kronos that did it. It's slowly getting better.

That lead to seriously wanting to reduce the weight of my rig. So I spent some quality time on headphones on the MODX7 yesterday at GC (about an hour). I'm so disappointed. Didn't connect with it at all, the key bed feels like a damn toy to me. The thought of replacing a weighted action with it just drained all the blood from me.

Also, not going to go laptop (did that, it was a nightmare for me), and for now resigned to trying to make the Kronos continue in my rig - the sounds is just there for me, even with the weight, the unsatisfying action, all the shortcomings. Yes, first world problems and all, I get that.

So with my new day gig also comes the time to rethink what the heck I'm doing with the time I devote to music.

A lot of my time is wedding and corporate work. It pays well, I get a LOT of calls (lately, I'm turning down about as many gigs as I take), and I'm pretty good at it. I'm a trusted MD for these kinds of things around these parts. There are certainly better players around the Bay Area, and I'm friends with several of them. But in this line of work, being professional and doing the homework is worth at least as much as chops and I've gotten a good rep around town. I'm grateful for that. I've got some cool summer shows coming up (working with an American Idol semifinalist on a concert series, for example), and already beginning to confirm some lucrative 2020 gigs.

Yet all of that has become less and less satisfying musically.

I also write a little; I had my first album of original music ready to head into the studio. Then I fell in love and my wife is wearing the album, so to speak (wedding ring).

But the music (and more writing) is where my musical interest really lies - knowing I won't really sell dollar one - that was never the point.

So the big picture is my thoughts are around where I want to spend my musical time, how to best move forward the creative aspects of what I want to do, and also how to not squander the reputation I've built and the opportunities that continue to come in as a result.

That trickles down into practical decisions like I hate how heavy my rig is these days as I'm not getting any younger. But I just don't think I can get into switching over to a rig that I don't enjoy playing. So many choices - yet so many boards that just don't connect with me.

I guess I'm really feeling that time is precious and I want to invest it in projects that really matter to me. I'm also very very practical as a working stiff - good paying gigs and great musical opportunities come when you least expect them sometimes, and I don't want to get out of the local scene. And there's just so many hours in the day.

Anyway, I'm just talking out loud. I still really appreciate this community, more than ever, and just wanted to check in I suppose.

Happy happy new year to everyone - may 2020 be the best for all of you!

Tim

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing that, Tim. Priorties, eh? I'm sure you'll figure it out, but yeah, you might want to back off the gigs just a touch so you can spend that much more time doing what you feel is satisfying. Keep us posted, congrats on the day gig, and have a great 2020!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Curious: what is it you like most about the Kronos that you'd like to have in a lighter rig? Keyboard feel? Sounds? Both? More? What sounds do you play most?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Tim-

I know you've tried the CP88. It's only 5.5 pounds lighter than your Kronos 73. Would you take the CP88 if starting over, assuming that's not enough to get you to switch?

From my point of view, the hands-on interface and built-in audio interface which allows easy sound supplementation with an iPad make the CP88 the best sound-to-weight option for a gigging piano, assuming you want as good an action as you can reasonably carry. Yamaha said there would be OS updates every six months, so I'm hoping there's some hint at NAMM of what might come out in March.

And congrats on the new job and all the new year brings!

Curious: what is it you like most about the Kronos that you'd like to have in a lighter rig? Keyboard feel? Sounds? Both? More? What sounds do you play most?

Good question!

I have tried to use it for everything, but have found:

What I dig about the Kronos:

- The Rhodes are first class.

- Synths are wonderful, flexible, inspiring

- Strings and pads, and almost everything else - more than I would ever ask for - for live gig work.

- Set List mode makes my life possible.

- For function band work, Kronos is still IMHO the best one-board solution out there...except:

What I don't like:

- The action is heavy, slow and uneven - it was WORSE before I replaced the entire action. But it's STILL uneven - even with the new action.

- Acoustic piano is brittle, horrible and....just wrong.

- B3 is, well, better than Yamaha LOL - but needs either a vent or lester K to make it usable.

Tim-

I know you've tried the CP88. It's only 5.5 pounds lighter than your Kronos 73. Would you take the CP88 if starting over, assuming that's not enough to get you to switch?

From my point of view, the hands-on interface and built-in audio interface which allows easy sound supplementation with an iPad make the CP88 the best sound-to-weight option for a gigging piano, assuming you want as good an action as you can reasonably carry. Yamaha said there would be OS updates every six months, so I'm hoping there's some hint at NAMM of what might come out in March.

And congrats on the new job and all the new year brings!

The action on the CP88 is to die for. It has one Rhodes patch that would be desert island for me. But I still prefer what the Casio PX-S3000 piano sounds like to Yamaha's offering of acoustic piano. If I could get Casio's acoustic piano and Yamaha's Rhodes in less than 25 pounds, I could probably live with a 61 key Kronos on top. But I'd really prefer two live boards rather than one-source and a weighted controller, like Dan and others run. I prefer the immediacy of hardware, unlike all the cool kids I guess.

I forgot you also had a PX-S3000. I recently bought one of those due to an impending divorce...

I think a Mojo61 over a CP88 would be a great combination, which could be supplemented easily with an iPad and a single USB-C cable for occasional synth sounds. The Mojo would cover for the CP88's biggest weakness, organ, while providing waterfall keys at the same time. Doesn't help you for hardware synth sounds, though.

Remember also that Mike Martin hinted last year that the PX-5S would be updated this coming year. I assume the new board will use the new action and form factor and be shown at NAMM.

Nord's also coming out with what looks like a new synth. Maybe you'll be the first with a Nord over Casio combo...

But I still prefer what the Casio PX-S3000 piano sounds like to Yamaha's offering of acoustic piano. If I could get Casio's acoustic piano and Yamaha's Rhodes in less than 25 pounds,

I also like Casio piano sound very much. It's not that I dislike Yamaha samples ( I love my N2,) but I've had so many iterations over the years, I wanted something different. As far as the Rhodes sound, I bought a used Reface CP for my itch for live analog controls of very good Rhodes sound (just missing ring modulation.) Only down side is that Casio has no Midi.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Hey Tim great to hear from you, albeit sorry to hear about your wrist and your challenges.

I don"t know you but you seem like the kind of guy who would suffer zero reputational damage if you became a little pickier about which gigs you did, as you strike me as an open and honest communicator.

Tim, glad to hear from you again. I"ve found myself wondering 'what would timwat say?' more than a few times lately. Mature, mindful posts are written by many here, but your scope and perspective are indeed singular.

Have a great New Year and catch you on the other side.

PS: Have just come through that cold. Killer. Upside: now you"re immune :laugh:

PPS: Kurzweil PC4

Here for the gear.

You can get a very authentic vintage Fender Rhodes tone on the PX S3000, but it's not available on the PX S1000. Simple select the EP1 on the S3000 and turn off the DSP effects (tremolo and phaser) and save. The 2 knobs can be assigned Reverb and Chorus. I just wish the action was lighter, like the PX 360 was.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

A tenure track teaching job should help you feel more at ease about turning down gigs you've been taking primarily for the pay. Speaking for myself, when all is said and done, my original music projects are what I'll think back on with satisfaction.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Congrats on the tenure. Regarding your rig, I've got a Kronos 88 and it stays at home (too damn heavy - love the synth, love the engines, hate the keyboard feel, and am triggering it from a M-Audio Keystation 88.

That being said, did you try the MODX8? Lighter action than Kronos, closer to my Keystation (which may not appeal to you). I am looking at a MODX7 at the moment to replace my MOXF6.

Going to put an Arturia KeyLab 61 on top of it running MainStage. When I was at GC checking the MODX's out, I couldn't help but play the Nord Stage 3 and think to myself, "I could trade my Kronos for this."

Probably won't happen but it checked a whole bunch of boxes. There are a couple of variations. I liked the Stage 3 Compact with the drawbars myself, ymmv. Anyway, good luck with everything in 2020!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

So I spent some quality time on headphones on the MODX7 yesterday at GC (about an hour). I'm so disappointed. Didn't connect with it at all, the key bed feels like a damn toy to me. The thought of replacing a weighted action with it just drained all the blood from me.

If you're used to a hammer action (even a less than ideal one like your Kronos), it requires a bit of a new mindset to go to any non-hammer action... even the best of them, which MODX7 is not.

If I could get Casio's acoustic piano and Yamaha's Rhodes in less than 25 pounds, I could probably live with a 61 key Kronos on top.
Piano and EP preferences are subjective, but some possibilities come to mind that are at least close to 25...

* Kawai ES110 has nice piano and Rhodes sounds (to my ears)

* Casio PX560 obviously has Casio piano sound (close to the one in the PX-S3000), but has better EPs than most other Casios, because of its hexlayer EPs, and additional hexlayer EPs programmed by Dave Weiser that you can download for free from Casio's forum.

* Kurzweil PC4 - again nice piano and Rhodes, especially if you add Dave Weiser's sounds (you can also buy the PC4 from him)

* Nord Electro 6HP - tons of pianos to choose from, it's hard to imagine you couldn't find one that hit the spot for you. EPs still not my favorites even after the recent updates, but not bad, and again, there's a good variety of them, with easy real-time tweaking. Bonus: Better B3 sound than your Kronos, and you could trigger it from a Kronos 61's keys.

Actions vary, but at least your current action presents a low bar.

Only down side is that Casio {PX-S3000} has no Midi.

You can get a very authentic vintage Fender Rhodes tone on the PX S3000...I just wish the action was lighter, like the PX 360 was.

I know, it's 40% pricier, but for those who can swing it, I still think it's a much better board than the PX-S3000. As I said, strong on Rhodes, and it has a real MIDI port, and has a much better interface with more real-time controls that are fully programmable and a touchscreen interface for patch selection and easy splits/layers and full sound editability, I think it's in a different league. It has the same action as the PX-360... some prefer that action, some prefer the new one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Played my last three back-to-back Winter gigs sick as a dog. Man that was brutal - sleep to the last minute, Day Quil to do the gig, drag myself home and NyQuil to get to sleep, than rinse and repeat. Good money, but the walking dead.

Just getting over that nasty lingering cold myself. Had to gig with a box of tissues on the piano.

Anyway, I strained my right wrist during the busy Winter gig season. At first I thought it was carpal tunnel, but Peter (my piano teacher) remarked it didn't present like tha. And I don't really do repetitive stress type stuff. I think it was schlepping the damn Kronos that did it. It's slowly getting better.

I had a custom wheeled case for the Kronos 88 I use if doing wedding or corp event. But the times I need to use a hand to carry it at times, I use a shoulder strap to help out. I find that works good for me as I also had old wrist injury.

The action is fine for me though could be better. It is a great board for all it can do. I only do occasional wedding and corp events with it. In my situation, I'm pondering what to do. Have steady acoustic solo gig that should pay more, but the tips make up for it. If I looked for a steadier wedding/event band that pays better, then have to lug equipment which is a few trips to the car and have to worry about getting it stolen which happens around here. If I go in that direction I'd probably ditch the Kronos for some one trip to the car lighter rig if possible.

Decisions.

Happy New Year to all.

Tim, glad to hear from you again. I"ve found myself wondering 'what would timwat say?' more than a few times lately. Mature, mindful posts are written by many here, but your scope and perspective are indeed singular.

Exquisitely stated. :2thu:

Congratulations on the new teaching gig, Tim. Our professional and keyboard tracks seem to have similar trajectories. I"ve been teaching at a Midwestern university for 21 years (psychology/behavioral sciences), the first 14 as adjunct faculty, but the last seven have been full-time. The full-time groove definitely has its advantages, namely job security and the reduced need for a side hustle (i.e., consultancy work) but that has been replaced with more meetings, committees, grant writing, and other expectations. University politics and dynamics are a different animal, as well; I"ve never heard people argue so much about so little. Overall I probably prefer teaching full-time, but I could easily go back to a consulting emphasis. I kind of enjoy the trenches.

I"ve also been gigging with a weighted-action Kronos (88) for some time. I find the Kronos action to be okay, some of the keys are a little noisy, but the action on mine is not uneven. I too love the EPs and synths, but agree the acoustic pianos are less than stellar, especially in mono. Have you considered a third-party solution? I"ve been using the K-Sounds Epic Grand and have been reasonably content. It will never be confused with a Nord or Yamaha, but I find it to be a considerable improvement. I"ve resigned myself to dealing with the weight of the Kronos. I have been tempted by the MODX-88, but just can"t seem to pull the trigger. I don"t have the time to learn a new operating system and program all of the sounds I need for my two bands. Plus, I'm a "flagship keyboard" type of guy, and will probably wait for the next flagship model from Korg before making a decision.

Regarding your musical path, what are you doing to challenge yourself? Last year I joined a band that solidly put me out of my comfort zone. We play every cheesy yacht-rock, disco, and K-Tel records hit imaginable. Further, every band member plays a sort of goofy or politically incorrect 'character' (see picture below, I'm the dude with the cigarette) which is something I have never done, or would have even considered doing, were it not for the nudging (probably pushing, more so) from my wife. The good news is that the tunes are fun and feature a TON of keyboard parts, and the band has become the 'next big thing' in our area. The phone hasn"t stopped ringing for bookings, and we have been playing to nothing short of large, frenzied crowds, and the pay has been fantastic.

Congrats again on the new gig, and great to see you back in circulation here. I regularly click on your always informative, thoughtful posts.

455.thumb.jpg.d59f0eebb6c8ace94bec894595a6c480.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw