Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

A friend of mine gifted me this B-3X for Christmas. Oh, my God, this thing is incredible. Highly recommended. When I saw the announcement a week or so ago, with the $99 price tag, I thought they were crazy. Now I think it's a bargain.

I have a good friend.

I mapped controls to my Yamah Motif XF6. (I have been reluctant to compare the B-3X to the Motif organs, but I think I will understand the hate for the Motif organs once I do this).

Does anybody know how to map the sliders on the XF6 to the B-3X? Most of the knobs (but not all) transmit MIDI CC messages, which map nicely to the drawbars. The sliders (and a few of the knobs) transmit MIDI SYSEX, though. One thing on the wish list is a "MIDI Learn" function for this exercise.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

For those having issues, this may be obvious but just to double-check... make sure you're in airplane mode... make sure you're running fully charged (or better yet, keep it plugged into AC).

Agreed. I bought a brand new Apple Camera Connector and thought it would power the iPad, but it does not. While strolling through my local Wally World I was stunned to find this:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/414361093.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/414361094.jpg

My Apple store didn"t even have this on the shelf. After plugging it in I was asked if I wanted to update it. I did. After a short download it works as expected. I went from 86% to 100% while in use.

I"m keeping my other connector with my backup bag, but this one is perfect.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

A friend of mine gifted me this B-3X for Christmas. Oh, my God, this thing is incredible. Highly recommended. When I saw the announcement a week or so ago, with the $99 price tag, I thought they were crazy. Now I think it's a bargain.

I have a good friend.

I mapped controls to my Yamah Motif XF6. (I have been reluctant to compare the B-3X to the Motif organs, but I think I will understand the hate for the Motif organs once I do this).

Does anybody know how to map the sliders on the XF6 to the B-3X? Most of the knobs (but not all) transmit MIDI CC messages, which map nicely to the drawbars. The sliders (and a few of the knobs) transmit MIDI SYSEX, though. One thing on the wish list is a "MIDI Learn" function for this exercise.

In the settings menu if you do a long press on the cc number 'learn" appears as the bottom option and then when you tap on that you can then just move the control on your keyboard and it will be learnt by the app.

• Like 1

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I have a good friend.

In the settings menu if you do a long press on the cc number 'learn" appears as the bottom option and then when you tap on that you can then just move the control on your keyboard and it will be learnt by the app.

Thanks John Lee. I tried this, the MIDI learn works for the controls that transmit CC messages. Doesn't work for the controls that transmit sysex messages. Can't for the life of me figure out why Yamaha configure the Motif this way.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I sound-checked with it, but chickened out in the heat of the moment...MODX"d for one more night. Still getting B-3X set up to my liking...BTW pulled the VR09 out of the dungeon last night...my presets on that thing just mop the floor with my new beloved Yammie...UGH! Got a rare weekend off to get the app up to snuff.

I posted an update on my Ipad Air 1 issue on the IK forum under 'stewfromnj' for those interested. IMO, IK needed to be clearer in their device requirements and I don't think that it is very fair that users are effectively beta testing on marginally sufficient devices. Me personally, I kind of figured that the app on a version 1 was going to be buggy from the start and took the risk with worst case that I upgrade my Ipad.

So I caved and just upgraded my Ipad to a Mini 5! This was my first time upgrading my device and was pleased to learn that all of my apps on my old Ipad device could transfer to my new one via a restore from iCloud (believe that iTunes on PC can do this too) without having to repurchase them. The kind rep from my Apple company store helped me with the procedure but it seemed easy enough for those not near an Apple store.

I haven't gigged or had full practice/jam session yet using B-3x, but on my initial use on my Mini 5, I get the pops on randoms sessions... meaning a few times that I've opened and used the app, I got no pops. But a day later on say the second or third app opening. I got the pops that persisted even after closing/re-opening app. Curious to see if IK can identify the cause and issue a patch. I categorize this as a minor annoyance and not a fatal flaw.

I'll provide a short summary in an upcoming post once I use the app a bit more with my "2 cents" on the app with respect to price, Galileo, Vent, and my Kronos organs. Gotta say, B-3x sounds good so far!

So I just bit the bullet this morning and got the B3-X. I have used Galileo 1 and 2 for years as a keyboardist on my church but I was never satisfied with the sound. So far it has been exponentially better. I absolutely love the Leslie sims! They have depth and more 'swirliness' than pretty much anything else I"ve used. I"m still working on the tone itself. I am one of those that want those highs to pop and it"s still not there. I probably have some more tweaking to do. Any tips on achieving that sweet spot is greatly appreciated.

Btw, what"s the mellowest tonewheel/Leslie combination you can do on this app?

I haven't gigged or had full practice/jam session yet using B-3x, but on my initial use on my Mini 5, I get the pops on randoms sessions... meaning a few times that I've opened and used the app, I got no pops. But a day later on say the second or third app opening. I got the pops that persisted even after closing/re-opening app. Curious to see if IK can identify the cause and issue a patch. I categorize this as a minor annoyance and not a fatal flaw.

I'll provide a short summary in an upcoming post once I use the app a bit more with my "2 cents" on the app with respect to price, Galileo, Vent, and my Kronos organs. Gotta say, B-3x sounds good so far!

I also purchased an iPad mini 5 for Christmas and encountered the pops and cracks you mention. But in my case it happened on 128 buffer. I returned it to 256 and it was gone. I"m not sure if it is that the iPad doesn"t have enough power to run such low buffers or if it"s an issue within the app itself.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

I also purchased an iPad mini 5 for Christmas and encountered the pops and cracks you mention. But in my case it happened on 128 buffer. I returned it to 256 and it was gone. I"m not sure if it is that the iPad doesn"t have enough power to run such low buffers or if it"s an issue within the app itself.

Perfect, thank you Giancarlo!

Yeah, it seems hit or miss at 128 for me.

So I set my ipad4 mini to airplane mode. Twiddled a bit with background app settings. Set buffers at 256. Dropouts and clicks are mostly non existent with most of the presets except "wrongdoing ". It seems that fairly extreme settings on the rack gear uses too much CPU and causes the need for more buffering. But my biggest issue is that there is some high frequency ducking. And I dont mean quacks. Playing a left hand chord a couple of octaves below a right hand chord or lead riff , the right hand level gets pushed down like a bad compressor. I dont recall vb3 v.1 doing this. And that still happens with the volume slider set low for max headroom. That still happens with the brown drawbars set to 7 or so. And with the stomp eq or rack eq rolling out the lows. And with the rack compressor bypassed. There is a lot to like with the app but it's not ready for prime time for me. I'm looking forward to an update or some hints from someone here that knows more than me.

FunMachine.

I salute all who are patient enough to put up with computer config problems in their instruments. It's not for me...
Very true. One key advantage of hardware keyboards (even if they are computers inside) is you don't need to worry with tuning buffer size and other parameters.

Cheers, Mike.

Here is my problem, I have a brand new iPad 7 with newest operating system. For the first week, I used a borrowed IK MIDI Rig 2 as an interface. Occasionally, the interface would quit working (no lights, wouldn't transmit MIDI data) or even have the dreaded stuck notes. I ordered a brand new interface. Same issue. I duplicated the problem running the SampleTank Piano that they give you, so I do not think that this is an app issue. When this happens, I unplug and replug the interface, and everything works fine.

I tried running it in airplane mode only, with a Midi cablegoing directly from my keyboard to the IK interface (instead of my midi router). Also rebooted the iPad. Nothing worked.

Any advice?

I was going to use this on a gig tonight, but it is not ready for prime time.

I am experiencing freeze ups with this app. Running@ 128 buffer. Using IK multimedia IRig 2. Got it mapped to my Kronos well enough. I hear others are experiencing stuck notes....this thing sounds amazing so I hope so updates are made soon to make it a little less buggy.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

FWIW, I"ve been using my Samson and Korg controllers through a powered hub into my mini 5 with the camera connection kit. I just got a Samson Graphite 49 to use for physical controls. I subbed this for the Carbon 61 and when I checked my specs page my buffer went to 1024 and gave me no other choices. What I"m guessing is that the type of controller has a bearing on the operating interface as well as 5 pin vs. USB hookup.

I haven"t experienced any stuck notes or dropouts so far. I did a benefit yesterday and it went great except for the dumbass that forgot to turn the camera on........ :facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

FWIW, I"ve been using my Samson and Korg controllers through a powered hub into my mini 5 with the camera connection kit. I just got a Samson Graphite 49 to use for physical controls. I subbed this for the Carbon 61 and when I checked my specs page my buffer went to 1024 and gave me no other choices. What I"m guessing is that the type of controller has a bearing on the operating interface as well

Jake

I had something similar happen to me when I used my iPad live yesterday for Sunday service. I was super excited to use B3-X as my new Hammond instead of Galileo 2. I first loaded B3-X, then Korg Module, Thumbjam and Sunrizer synth. Once I returned to the B3-X app it was not responding. Notes didn"t play at all. So I went to the specs and it is as you say. Buffer was at 1024 and no other options were available. I couldn"t even choose either of my midi controllers or the left or right channel options. It was very weird and somewhat frustrating. I tried restarting the app and it was shutting down as soon as I tapped on it. It wasn"t even starting up properly. I"m not sure if it was an issue because of the two midi controllers being connected or if the iPad itself can"t handle the load.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

If you read an earlier post of mine, I was experiencing many of the same issues as everyone above.

Since I was due for an iPad upgrade, I traded my Air 2 (got $100 from Apple!) and picked up the iPad Mini 5.

What a world of difference! I'm so happy with the upgrade.

I'm able to run B-3X at 128 buffer setting, so far, with no issues.

I keep it in airplane mode; WiFi off. (However, even when I forget to do that, it runs well).

The only strange thing is that when occasionally connecting it via Bluetooth, things sometimes get weird.

The app will change to a 1024 buffer setting; nothing else selectable. And sometimes it will default to 48,000 audio. (from 44100).

But all in all, the Mini 5 iPad has made a tremendous difference.

I would conclude, however, that this app is not-yet-ready for prime time; as someone suggested, WE are the beta testers;

but nevertheless, it does sound great and I will try to work it into my live setup.

I've already mapped controllers on my Nord Electro 5D to control drawbars, Leslie speed, etc...

Interesting to see what everyone else is experiencing so far...keep the comments coming!!!

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I spent the past week putting together my 'Budget B-3'. I came across a Samson Graphite 49 for cheap, and I kept the Carbon 61, so it all seems to play well together.

Apologies to all you Booker T fans, but with a Leslie sim this good I had to attempt his version of 'Groovin" '

[video:youtube]

Jake

• Like 1

"It needs a Hammond"

FWIW, I can get the same sort of sound using Galileo..NOT using the presets btw ;) and it is much MUCH cheaper! If the PC version of the IK app was $100 I'd probs buy it then though, as afaik Galileo is not available for PC as a VST.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

FWIW, I have Galileo 1 and the improved 2.....the organ ain"t bad, but the rotary sim is way too phasey and chirpy for my tastes (and I bought the 'improved rotary sound' add on as well). I seldom use it.

B3X isn"t a clone wheel - it"s playing a Hammond.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

I like the B3 in Garageband, but unfortunately there's no way to stop it from responding on every MIDI channel. I was not as impressed by Galileo, though I never spent much time with it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not sure if this should be in a separate thread or not. I am the guy that has a brand new iPad 7, with an IK Midi 2 interface. The interface would stop seeing MIDI signals at random intervals.

I tried everything, firmware updates, delete and reload apps, increase buffer size. Nothing worked.

I finally tried to use an old EMU midi keyboard as a controller, instead of my Motif XF. Bingo, it works perfectly. Evidently, the Motif does not transmit MIDI Active Sensing.

MIDI active sensing. Who would have thunk it.

Additional thoughts/feelings on the B-3X for iOS:

Short Version:

I didn't need it. But I wanted it and purchased it anyway :)

Long Version:

I've always greatly valued a realistic tone wheel organ/Leslie replication. Up until now and like many of you in the same situation as myself, I have had to rely on what was available versus what I could fit in my budget and my other gear needs. Seeing the first impressions the B-3x of those who tried it out early on really got my attention. When I ultimately tried it for myself, the sound was undeniable and a leap beyond what I've heard to date. I've never owned a real Hammond (B3, C3, A100, heck even an L100!) nor a real Leslie. Most likely, I will not own the real deals in my foreseeable future. I concede that I'm immensely jealous of those who have the real things, that must be awesome beyond words! So I live vicariously through tech. And thus I pulled the trigger on the B-3x app purchase.

-Price , Galileo, Vent, and my Kronos organs...

I'm actually pleased with the price point on this app from this POV... I don't believe that it's inexpensive enough so as to price out Galileo, which I think has a place. Galileo is a solid option for those who need the organ sound with drawbar control in their performances and can be surprisingly convincing in a band context IMHO. I'll add that I think that Garageband also has a decent organ sound but has limited control from what I understand. However B-3x is not so expensive that it competes with hardware or PC/Mac options. Yes, it is certainly more expensive that app prices that many of us are used to seeing. But I don't have any fear at all that the B-3X app price will set a "new normal" for "plug-in" app prices as a whole. Devs will price their apps to sell... simple as that. It's not Candy Crush... devs have to make their money based on the universe of the potential buyers. If they're not selling enough, they'll lower the price for sure. With B-3x as a boutique app that is certainly premium in sound, IK prices accordingly. Early adopters will buy it and vet it for those waiting for lower price or feedback, so all good to me!

I was seriously considering adding a Vent II to my Kronos for my upgraded organ sounds before purchasing B-3x. But even after upgrading my iPad from an Air 1 to a Mini 5 and buying B-3x, my new iPad/app purchase was still less $$ out the door than a new Vent. Plus I get the versatility of using it MIDI with an iPad DAW, the effects (Stomp and Rack), and the mixing of the direct signal, Leslie sound, Guitar Cabs, and amps of choice in one app!

Like I said, I didn't "need" to get this app. I have a Kronos with passable organ sounds, plus I have K Sounds Organimation which sounds very pleasing. But the accuracy of the B-3x was irresistible. So the Kronos orgs are simply "backup" to the B-3x if I need them.

-First go in a performance setting...

A jam with friends at a local studio... Two keyboardists... I and another who had a VR-09. I never heard the VR-09 before and I have to say it's respectable with very solid and pleasing organ sounds. But when I put the B-3x through the mains, the difference was unquestionable... the B-3x roared, sang, and hummed as if it was a living instrument! That's not to say that the sound is perfect for all "out of the box". But there's enough "corrective seasoning" within the available controls that let you refine exactly what you need. For example, I love playing with a lot of key click, but I've noticed that when I hear playback of the B-3x recordings that I've heard, the key click often sounds obnoxious to me. So I dial a good part of it out, which B-3x let's you do easily and effectively. So it's all there for your preferences and taste.

-My beef with IK...

When I originally purchased the B-3x, it was for my Ipad Air 1st gen. After completing my support ticket with Ik regarding my app performance issues on the Air 1, I'm still not satisfied with IK's contention that the app is "compatible" with older Ipads. I strongly urge the reading of all the board threads (including Ik's board) on this subject if you are considering purchasing B-3x for an older Ipad/iOS ver. I can say first hand from my experience that an Air 1 is a no-go for me. I'm pleased to see others coming in with feedback on their own devices so that those in the market can make an informed decision. But again, my beef with IK is that they need to be more explicit in their spec requirements on the app and more realistic on the specs really required. The statement "For AUv3, we recommend using these models and newer: iPad 6th Generation (2018), iPad Air 3rd Generation (2019), iPad Mini 5th Generation (2019), iPad Pro 2nd Generation (2017)" on IK's spec page can really be looked at as ideal requirements IMHO.

I'd like to add that even with my Mini 5, I'm not 100% confident right this moment that the app is as "mission critically" reliable as hardware just yet. But in fairness, I'm warming up to it as during my sessions so far on the Mini 5, it's been stable including the Lightning to USB audio at 128 buffer, just too small a sample size for 100% confidence. The only time I was able to induce stuck notes was when I purposely did smears with a sustain pedal pressed as a test. I'm also using AUM Mixer which allows me to get to a panic button relatively quickly should I need it. BTW, AUM is great, I can run 3 other music apps and stay under 70% CPU usage, nice!!!

Next Steps for me:

Continued use of app in practice and performing to test extended use.

Map to my Kronos

Get a 61key controller for upper/lower control to pair with my 61key Kronos (have to figure out logistics/stand with my PX5S for 3board setup)

These are exciting times for sure! I'm really looking forward to the future of the Ipad ecosystem as a source of instrumentation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, njkronos1!

I'm also a 1st gen iPad Air owner, however I'm eyeing an upgrade in order to try iPadOS, B-3X, and NeoSoul Keys Studio 2.

If the results are good, I will seek-out a replacement for my Nord Electro 3...something with a similar keyboard action, pedal inputs, USB audio connection, and audio outs would be ideal - I wouldn't even need any built-in sounds.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Without a doubt, this is an excellent emulation...especially the rotary, and agreed it gives pleasant Hammond sounds with all the right key-click, leakage, C/V, and like; and I love the additional effects, however I have not been able to get that top octave to scream out yet. I'm a rocker and use smears a lot. Love to get that snarling roar coming out of a hot solo, but am missing it with the app. Still tweaking EQ, Drive, Compression, and the like...any tips?

Now for ballads and jazzier tunes, this app might be the best sound I currently have access to. Really like it...just need to figure out how to get it a little more rude when the tune calls for it.

If the results are good, I will seek-out a replacement for my Nord Electro 3...something with a similar keyboard action, pedal inputs, USB audio connection, and audio outs would be ideal - I wouldn't even need any built-in sounds.

It's an interesting idea, and I've seen other people wish for it, but I don't think I"ve ever seen a soundless controller that include a USB audio connection and audio outs (that is, building that audio interface into the keyboard itself). But maybe there's one out there. The boards I know with built in interfaces all also have sounds in them.

I think maybe a Numa Compact 2X would work for you, even if you ignored its internal sounds and just used it as a controller. Decent action (even aftertouch, if you want to do some synth stuff), 9 sliders that can send MIDI CC to B-3X along controls for percussion, etc., and it does audio over USB, which can go to its audio outs (or even its internal speakers, if you want). It has pedal inputs, but if you want more, there are accessories that can add them easily enough.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Without a doubt, this is an excellent emulation...especially the rotary, and agreed it gives pleasant Hammond sounds with all the right key-click, leakage, C/V, and like; and I love the additional effects, however I have not been able to get that top octave to scream out yet. I'm a rocker and use smears a lot. Love to get that snarling roar coming out of a hot solo, but am missing it with the app. Still tweaking EQ, Drive, Compression, and the like...any tips?

Now for ballads and jazzier tunes, this app might be the best sound I currently have access to. Really like it...just need to figure out how to get it a little more rude when the tune calls for it.

Yes. It doesn't scream enough. It sounds good for jim alfredsson on the jazz stuff but I cant play like jim. And I likely won't ever be. For rock stuff it's kinda tame. I've had some success with the cab settings emphasizing the top horn but it's still only half aggressive enough. But using the effects and setting the cab settings high up causes buffering artifacts on my only 1 year old ipad mini4. I'm not inclined to upgrade my ipad to chase an app.

At least not until it screams like jon lord. The other problem is the left hand work pushes down the right hand work. IK needs to change this compression factor. VB3v1 and a vent still kicks b3x's butt.

FunMachine.