Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alternative to roland vr-09 and korg krome?

miden

As a second board, are there any alternatives to either of these? That are around the same price point. I have read (on this forum too) bad reports of the keybeds on both! I'd be wanting to use it primarily for playing organ work, but also synth and other lead. I have the weighted bottom board (PX5) fro pianos and EPs.

I was considering changing up to JUST a FA-08 but thought a lighter action would make organ work a little more fun.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Roland VR-09, and I liked it very much. It is true I got rid of it because of the feel of the keyboard itself: very lite, synth-action that made it very difficult for me to play piano tones on it (I wanted a single "gig keyboard", and I exchanged the VR-09 for a Nord Electro). If you already have a decent "piano", and are looking for a keyboard to do only synth and organ sounds, I think the VR-09 will be perfect for you. The VR-09 has really great sounds to play, IMO

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Depending on country, Vox Continental is either somewhat more or a lot more than the VR09, I don't know about Australia. Action should be better (but less editability). Also, again if you can stretch, the VR-730 has a better action than the VR09.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys. Ok so the VR-09 (in this case the one I am looking at is a VR-09B) might be ok! Scott, O looked at the VR-730 but the keybed is too long...need 61 only. I will check on Vox - not sure what their status is out here??

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I did read in the MIDI spec that "Registrations" are not selectable via MIDI, sounds are, but not registrations. That kills the VR as an option I think :(

I had & sold the VR-09. I couldn't get the organ sound to where I actually liked it and having one controller knob control 2 effects parameters NOT independent of each other pretty much rendered the verdict for me. However it is the only thing around that price that had the features most people look for.

I've had a VR-09 since they came out, and I still use it quite a bit. The keybed isn't great, but I'd rank it as the best of the "cheap" boards. I bought a Krome before the VR and returned it, because I found the keybed just too unplayable. In contrast, my reaction to the VR keybed was, "Okay, it's obviously cheap and synthy, but at least it's not Krome bad." Obviously that's subjective and YMMV. I can deal with it for organ. The organ sound engine I would describe as "significantly better than rompler, significantly worse than dedicated clonewheel." The synth engine is the best thing about the VR. It's very good for mono and poly analog sounds, and the iPad editor allows for really deep and detailed programming. And I don't use FM-type sounds much, but when I need one I can always find something suitable on the VR.

Although the VR09 has cheapish synth keys, at least it uses a high trigger for organ. That alone makes a big difference as it allows you to skid, bounce, and smear somewhat the way you would on a real Hammond or a good clone.

With the VR Roland carved out a nice niche on the price/feature spectrum. That's why it's done so well. For casual players, it might be all they need. For pros, it's a very capable backup or rehearsal board. So easy to grab and toss into the car. The VR730 doesn't have that same grab-and-toss appeal.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've had the Krome for 7 years; as much as I love Korg products I didn't love it as much as my Korg SG Rack module-

I find the keys okay, but the organ sounds themselves are not spectacular; I actually use sometimes a 3rd party set created by Dan Stesco who has programs for Korgs.

How about the Roland FA06? I actually liked the organ sounds better than the Krome and think they keybed was a little better.

What disappointments me about the Krome is they took a jazz ambience kit from the Kronos, and then left subpar other kits in the Krome.

Another suggestion I have is to look at the Yamaha MODX. It does have a larger footprint though.

Thanks guys, great info! btw did those who own/ed on feel that not being able to select registrations via MIDI to be a hassle?

I have some familiarity with the VR-09 (my brother owns one) and am very familiar with the Krome. I don't muck around with midi on either so no wisdom there for you.

If you're primarily wanting to use your second keyboard for organ work, the VR-09 is miles in front of the Krome, IMO.

As far as synth leads go, the Krome is capable of some amazing stuff if you're prepared to put the time and energy into it - I don't quite have the depth of knowledge on the VR-09 but it also seems quite capable in this regard.

I prefer the VR-09 keybed to the Krome 61 one - but for playing piano both are pretty rank. I find both keybeds are playable for organ and synth but as has been mentioned already they're not exactly high-end and take some getting used to. Particularly the Krome keybed which is sort of "squishy" and has a weird hinge point which makes accurate keying of some chords a little tricky. I should also mention I'm a genuinely terrible organ player so probably don't find the keybed as limiting as someone who actually knows what they're doing.

thx NQ - I was alSO considering using a high quality controller instead as the second board, and running some ipad apps...and there ARE some really nice feeling controller boards out there. Trouble is you need more cables and the iPad synth is not as instantly tweakable I don't reckon. Not when you're doing three other things hahaha!

I have been disappointed with the comments (on the web) re the keybeds on both, but they seem to be the only thing in that 1300 to 1600 bracket that are half decent. SO It may be a case of just deal with it haha!

Thanks guys, great info! btw did those who own/ed on feel that not being able to select registrations via MIDI to be a hassle?

I have no experience with the Krome but I used a VR-09 for many years as my top board (over a moxf), primarily for organ & synth stuff. The weight & sounds were great for this purpose but the inability to easily call up registrations was definitely a hassle (for me, anyway). Even manually selecting a registration can be a pain after the first 16 since you have to use the scroll wheel to get to them. (It's a really fun little board, with some questionable design decisions!)

Our band has no downtime between songs to fish for sounds, so I switched to an FA-07 specifically for the ability to call up its studio sets via midi with one button push on my MOXF. The FA-07 has loads of other advantages but I would've gotten by on the VR-09 had it been able to accept a program change message.

fwiw, I kept the VR-09 to use with my other band that plays instrumental surf music. That project requires just a few basic sounds that can be manipulated on the fly, and that's exactly where the VR-09 excels.

I agree with everyone about the action. It was okay for me for organ/synth stuff but piano was terrible. I liked the high trigger point on the organs. Hope this helps!

Thanks Red Ranger, it does help. So I guess if you re-set the thing to have your most used registrations in the first 16 (at least Roland allow a user to overwrite the factory setup!) it would be as much of an issue.

I was considering the FA-08 as the single board, but organ and synth parts just get too awkward on the heavy keys! It is why I am seriously considering going to the second board. Maybe even an FA-06 (and just deal with the extra $'s??)

So I guess if you re-set the thing to have your most used registrations in the first 16 (at least Roland allow a user to overwrite the factory setup!) it would be as much of an issue.

Yes. I used to set it up for each gig so the sounds were in order & I could just hit the "Next" button to go to the next registration. That required some work ahead of time but it was much easier during the gig- at least until our singer called an audible to change the setlist on the fly.

Thanks Red Ranger, it does help. So I guess if you re-set the thing to have your most used registrations in the first 16 (at least Roland allow a user to overwrite the factory setup!) it would be as much of an issue.

I was considering the FA-08 as the single board, but organ and synth parts just get too awkward on the heavy keys! It is why I am seriously considering going to the second board. Maybe even an FA-06 (and just deal with the extra $'s??)

If the action on the FA-08 is problematic you could go down to the FA-07. It doesn't receive the complaints about the action that the 06 does. For awhile it seemed that the companies were doing 61 or 88 note versions only. It's good to see that Roland, Yamaha, etc. have come back to giving the 76'ers some options again.