Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Share Pix of Your Best "Guitar Gift" for the Holidays

Excuse being a bit of a Peeping Tom here, but I thought it would be fun if we shared photos of guitar gear that was gifted to us by friends and/or loved ones, or cool products that we gifted ourselves.

Seems like a good way to kick off the gear lust for 2020, right?

[i just got a pair of drumsticks, the Abbey Road remix, and some Samsung Galaxy earbuds, so, sadly, I'm out.]

Hoping everyone's holidays were fab!

Cheers,

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one buys me gear. I guess I"ve successfully separated family world from music world. But it"s year end and often when I make gear decisions for the next year. I guess I"m going to go to the dark side and get a Helix. The other guitarist is making the transition to Kemper. I thought about A Kemper floor but I like the integrated effects on the Helix. I"ll probably keep one of my wah pedals and a Peterson tuner plus add some nice IRs. I have a lot to learn. Sad to let all these amps and pedals just sit. I"m usually playing keys 60+% of the time. The keys are all direct. I monitor through IEMs. It just seems logistically logical to go digital direct.

Helix-large.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

@Dannyalcatraz - I have a tie that could go with those socks.

Just before Christmas, I got myself a nice used Laney LX65R at a nearby GC, for $120. I'd been watching the price go down over time, from $180 to $150 to $120, and I finally grabbed it at $120, rather than gamble on it being sold before it could go even lower. Not bad for what was originally a $420 Amp. I already have a nice Laney VC 30 212, and a Peavey Red Stripe Studio Pro 112, but I couldn't resist this one, in part because I love the Laney sound, but also because this one has a Headphone Out, a boon for insomniacs like myself.

Sorry, photo link isn't coming through the way I expected, but here's a GC listing for a new one, so you can get a look. Mine isn't quite that clean, of course, but it's in good shape, and sounds great.

Laney LX65R Combo Amp

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Yeeeeeeears ago, I got myself a Fernandes Ravelle Elite. It has a HB in the bridge and a HB-sized Sustsiner in the neck.

My folks gave me a few hundred bucks for Christmas, and my Dad is retired military, so we can still get things at the PX- that means no sales tax. That year, the PX was actually selling an impressive array of music gear through its 3rd party vendors, Fernandes among them. So, with the Christmas cash and Dad"s status, I was able to get the guitar NEW for just over $700.

Mine looks a lot like this:

sttnlwns4lbqnzvuwlnw.jpg

In some ways, it"s the gaudiest guitar I own. That"s MoP binding and inlays.

The only one I own that compares is a Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniversary limited edition in gold metal flake.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I am going to go with posting links to similar items since the stuff that came to me looks nice.

December has been an exceptional month for my hobby of thrift store/pawn shop buzzard circling.

I found a Roland Cube 40gx in near mint condition and working perfectly for $40. Played a couple of gigs with it, very nice sounding amp - 20 pounds of coolness.

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-Roland-CUBE-40GX-Guitar-Amplifier/TXO

Picked up a Peavey Envoy and footswitch for $65. Excellent condition, sounds great, works perfectly. Gonna see if a Scorpion 10" fits, then it will be a monster.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-envoy-110-guitar-amplifier-with-transtube-technology

Last but not least, poking around in the tool bins at Goodwill I found an Audio Technica MB4000C microphone covered in tape goo for $4. It cleaned up easy with Krud Kutter, looks good, works good and sounds great when combined with my CAD D-82 ribbon mic, adds a nice smooth high end to the rich full sound of the ribbon.

Was a great Christmas, lots of time with my friends and "family" up here. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.