Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why no more songs with witty titles?

As the only person on the road cruising in to work today I had Procol Harum's Broken Barricades turned up to 11 in the car. Now long time since I last listened to this album and looked down to check the name of the current song. It was Playmate of the Mouth.

[video:youtube]

Lead me to the thought that in my yoof from Frank Zappa on "We Are Only In It For The Money" there were a lot of witty, wry and play on words or phrases, Song and Album titles.

So why, and when, did this stop?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As straight humour I guess that updates songs like this

But what I was thinking of was more along the lines of "Too Stuffed to Jump"

Or

There are many more, just can't recall them ATM.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Did it stop? Off the top of my head there"s Bruce Hornsby"s 'Rehab Reunion' and Chris Thile"s 'If You"re Gonna Leave Me (Set Me Up With One of Your Friends).' Many of Thile"s songs of the week for Live From Here are pretty witty - he tends to switch between funny and earnest.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 1 month later...

TISM also did "Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me":

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I"d have to say that this is probably my favorite song about venerial disease.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

dB

I didn"t know that Andy Samberg was in Sly.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Almost every album and song by these guys. This is an LL Cool J cover (he's in the video) but their originals are in a similar vein:

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

As the only person on the road cruising in to work today I had Procol Harum's Broken Barricades turned up to 11 in the car. Now long time since I last listened to this album and looked down to check the name of the current song. It was Playmate of the Mouth.

Lead me to the thought that in my yoof from Frank Zappa on "We Are Only In It For The Money" there were a lot of witty, wry and play on words or phrases, Song and Album titles.

So why, and when, did this stop?

And I thought I was the only person who ever bought this album. Great tune. Broken Barricades is a big favorite, :like:

Steve Coscia