Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What sequencer do you use, if any?

uhoh7

Are you using a sequencer? More than one?

Which ones?

How often?

What for?

How do you like them?

I finnally have enough toys fully operational that I need one. I watched alot of videos LOL. I did not want to be tied to DAW/Laptop and wanted something good for both live and studio work. Well under 1k.

After all my research, I went vintage! I have an Akai MPC1000 coming, knock on wood it works. I still had to pay over 400USD.

WTF am I thinking?

1. Huge active support, including JJOS, a 3rd party OS with all kinds of extra bells.....maybe whistles too ;) Literally hundreds of how-tos on Y-tube for MPC1000.

2. Double strong: MPC1000 is both great sequencer and legendary sampler. I never sampled. Maybe I will try OMG.

3. It's history. Heavy influence 1998 to 2010 in various genres.

4. Connectivity. MPC1000 can do 6 seperate audio outs, 32 MIDI channels, 2 in 2 out cables. It's four "assignable outs" can control modular devices via CV. Can do all sorts of sequencing tricks on the fly. Very deep midi programing.

5. Killer drum machine, I can augment my new RD-8 and start making some new rhythm flavors.

Only time will tell if this becomes a dust collector or a cornerstone LOL

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every workstation got to have a great sequencer....right?

I guess that is not always true LOL.

[video:youtube]

That's about the MPC 1000 over modular.

I nearly just grabbed an Arturia Keystep, which is widely used these days, and I think those are so cheap I better just get one anyway.

Still have (an occasionally use) C64 running Glass Tracks (1987), Kawai Q-80 (1991, with conversion to SMF software), Fantom X7 sequencer (2008). On the PC its Cakewalk by Bandlab (been using Cakewalk since the late 80s).

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Who else has a sequencer with 6 million views on a single video:

[video:youtube]

Oh crap, that's a 2500.....but close!

Love my Motif XF sequencer; I use it all the time for backing tracks, song ideas, draft recordings, sometimes with the audio recorder for quick stuff.

I've also used the one in my Korg Krome sparingly, and the one in my JV-1000 (which is just a MC50-MKII). On the computer side I use Cubase for sequencing (as well as my main DAW); great software.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've been using the 16 track sequencer in my Yamaha MOTIF ES8 since I bought it brand new in the early 2000's. I made use of the Sampler for sounds that were not on-board, and I was able to import sounds from the previous generation Motif Library. I was able to get some sounds from other players that owned the ES8 and had bought sounds (primarily organ) and were willing to share. I got numerous sound effects from the Internet and saved them on my computer. I was able to put voices in any of the 16 tracks, as well as sound effects, and save them to USB sticks. I was also able to use different sound sets that I could save with the sequencers where they were used. Typically I would save the sound set with the songs/sequences that they used to a separate USB stick so I had the correct sound set for the songs I was playing live.

I did a Classic Rock Show and in the majority of cases, 16 tracks was more than enough. I avoided investing in a DAW for not only $$$ reasons, but the KISS principal. I have read plenty of complaints by other musicians that ran into problems with Midi using a DAW and I did not want to invest the time or money in system that took up a lot of time to learn how to use. This system has worked out well for me, and the ES8 more than paid for itself.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.