Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

I've had all the other rackmounted hammond units as well as a few other things like the voce v5. This is far less expensive and sounds at least useable if not great. The hammond xm units sucked compared to b3x. Anybody looking for a v5?
V5 seems like it could also be useful merely as a controller for B-3X (or similar).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Now that I've had a chance to get under the hood I did another video. Biggest change was going direct into the camera for the sound quality. Also same keyboards, but through a USB powered hub for easier setup and keeping the electrons flowing into the iPad. The preset features are totally customizable and a great feature until I get a slider controller.

I used the 1971 tonewheel set, the 122 cabinet and amp, with a few bumps to the settings and a bit of EQ from the stomp boxes.

Unbelievable.

[video:youtube]

Jake

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This sounds great! Not only the tone and sim, but the playing.

Is it possible to trigger the Leslie Fast/Slow state from MIDI, such as a foot switch?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I pulled the trigger last night and couldn't be more pleased!

And a disclaimer here: I have VB3, VB3 II, B5; all on my MacBook Pro.

Galileo 1 and 2, on iPad;

I own a Nord Electro 5D; have owned a Korg CX3, and various Roland clones (VK7, etc.)

I've owned a Hammond Porta-B, with 760 Leslie; and a beautiful B3 with a 122 Leslie (which I Kick myself every day for selling many years ago!)

So my ears are well-tuned to the Hammond sound.

I will say this: Any of the current clones I own (either hardware or software) all sound way more than adequate for doing gigs or even recording.

But this little bugger really rocks! I'm totally enjoying the fact that it's so "portable" in the iPad format.

Between this and Model D for Moog sounds, I'm more than a happy camper!

One issue though...when trying to set the buffer size, I had to reboot the iPad several times. This is no doubt a bug that will be resolved in the future; I also can't wait to see if they will offer other "virtual stompboxes" with future updates.

The big takeaway, though, is that it doesn't "blow away" any of my other software. I could be perfectly satisfied with my other "clones"; but I am really enjoying this little app...and the way I get suckered into crummy "100 dollar meals" with friends and family, at least this will last longer than the inevitable "agiada" I get after going to dinner with my family and spending way more than $100!!!

Cheers to you all...Happy Holidays and a blessed, healthy and "music enriched" New Year!!!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

This sounds great! Not only the tone and sim, but the playing.

Is it possible to trigger the Leslie Fast/Slow state from MIDI, such as a foot switch?

This is fully MIDI customizable, there"s a whole menu page allowing you to setup any value. It defaults to the mod wheel, but I have used a foot pedal prior to this. I really wanted the expression pedal, so I dropped the foot switch in favor of the swell pedal.

I"ll probably go for a better controller with more options to enable real controls instead of using the iPad screen.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I've had all the other rackmounted hammond units as well as a few other things like the voce v5. This is far less expensive and sounds at least useable if not great. The hammond xm units sucked compared to b3x. Anybody looking for a v5?
V5 seems like it could also be useful merely as a controller for B-3X (or similar).

True.

FunMachine.

Question for you ipad or ipad mini users. Is the headphone out noiseless enough to be your line out or do you use like a usb sound thumb unit?

Both of my vids were through the iPad headphone out. The B-3 comparison was summed to mono, but the Blues was stereo direct into the camera.

I've been satisfied with the headphone out, but sometimes it's a real PITA to deal with the 3.5" jack and locate/build adapters for the amp end.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

I have a couple of questions for those who have bought the iPad version:

1. Can I use a single keyboard and split it into upper/lower manual?

2. Can I switch between presets without the sound cutting out? That appears to be the case with Jake's video, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Bill

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

2. Can I switch between presets without the sound cutting out? That appears to be the case with Jake's video, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Bill

1 unless your controller can be split into zones with 2channels, no.

2 I'm not sure...probably more likely my fat fingers than the app.

UPDATE: - Just tried it using one hand to hold a chord and one to punch different presets - no delay or gap in the sound.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks,

Bill

Jake

In your video you mentioned a powered usb hub. Is that something like a basic old insignia usb 2.0 thing or something newer? Is that connected using just an old lightning to usb A adapter?

FunMachine.

Thanks,

Bill

Jake

In your video you mentioned a powered usb hub. Is that something like a basic old insignia usb 2.0 thing or something newer? Is that connected using just an old lightning to usb A adapter?

The generic (Belkin) hub solves a few issues for me. First, I can use both of my controllers without the 5 pin MIDI plug and iRig interface, and also forces the Microkey Air to use the USB cable instead of killing the iPad battery with Bluetooth. Also I"ve seen online a device that will allow me to insert a regular expression pedal through USB, so I can go back to using the controller jack for sustain. I"m using the Apple Camera Connector from the hub output.

I originally thought the powered hub would charge the iPad, but I think it merely eases the load electrically and provides more run time, but that"s just a guess.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks,

Bill

Jake

For #2, it appeared that the sound does NOT cut off when making preset changes. Your playing seemed perfect to me. :)

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

HELP!!!!!

So, the app works perfectly until about 10 minutes.

Then clicks and pops and it becomes unusable.

Usually, a reboot of iPad helps...but this is unacceptable during a gig..

Doesn't matter what buffer size is!

I emailed IK Multimedia.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

There is a guy on IK Multimedia"s official forum having the same issues. He has an iPad Air first generation, and is using iOS 12.4. Look under 'Mobile Products - IPhone/pad Apps and Accessories, maybe 1st or 2nd post. When you registered the app they have an info page and their forum is one of the links. You do need to setup a user name and p/w.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

The vents distortion is better. If authentic 6550 tube grind simulation is important to you, nothing around comes close to the vent. Even after 15 years. The swirl and doppler is getting good from the competitors but they can't get the distortion right. But humble old vb3 v1 through a vent is as good or better than b3x if you ask me. But I'm just getting to know b3x. My opinion might change over time.

FunMachine.

I bought this app as well and am getting to know it. Setting it up with my Kronos. I agree the drive/distortion is not that great, not warm... I assume we are talking about the distortion stomp box? Shouldn"t the preamp be able to give a warm drive effect? I see several choices of preamps...EDIT. Yes, the preamps actually do provide some decent warm drive/ distortion. I prefer them to the stomp box.

I see that many parameters are MIDI assignable, Leslie speed, C/V, percussion and drawbars, etc. But I don"t see MIDI learn. You have to assign each parameter to a CC#. I got some things assigned on my Kronos but am still struggling with assigning the upper drawbars to the Kronos sliders....

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Has anyone found a favorite tonewheel set? I am still on the default A100 and it"s very nice but doesn"t have the enhanced scream in the upper register like my Mojo 61.

I'm missing the scream as well. Some of the presets scream more than others but most of the settings are a bit polite. Good for jazz and funerals. And jazz funerals.

FunMachine.

I am the person with the Ipad Air 1st gen issue, severe audio breakup even when not running USB audio. I sent my ticket to IK over the weekend and will reply back here with outcome.

I am running the ipad through my Korg Kronos and was hoping to use USB audio, but even with headphone jack output and no USB connection, the Ipad Air 1 has the app meltdown to uselessness. For those with somewhat older 64 bit Ipads, you may want to stay tuned, .....wish they had a demo version to audition the app for these issues.

I could splurge for a newer Ipad since I could transfer the app from ipad to ipad, but am waiting for resolution from IK.

I am sort of getting the issue but not unusable bad. If I use a large buffer like 512 and keep the input and output gain low on the leslie amp , it stays stable but the level is very low going out to my mixer. iPad mini4 ios 13. Extreme settings on any pedals or rack gear make it worse.

FunMachine.

The web sites does say, "For older devices like iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro 1st Generation, we recommend using a buffer setting of 256 or greater for the best audio performance." That doesn't bode so well for running it simultaneously with another demanding app like the NeoSoul EPs, as some have talked about, unless you have a higher end model (or are not so sensitive to latency... I think even 256 is borderline).

For those having issues, this may be obvious but just to double-check... make sure you're in airplane mode... make sure you're running fully charged (or better yet, keep it plugged into AC).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)