Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

I think it's a very nice instrument for the price. If it only ran on batteries.... :-(

Battery for 2CX

Runs for hours on this battery which is about the size and weight of a 3.5" Hard Drive. If you get a plug adapter and go into normal power in rather than USB, speakers work normally.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Does anyone know if you can send MIDI CC from the drawbars through the MIDI Out (DIN) connection, or is it only transmitted through the USB MIDI Out? I've asked this question on the Studiologic support site, but I never got a respone.

Yes, for sure. I do it via DIN not USB. (Real men don't midi USB)

The trouble is, no off switch!!!!

Touch those sliders on any sound if the zone is active and it moves the MIDI.

Work around:

use both zones for destination, one with sliders programed and one without. turn on the "with" when you want to move synth sliders.

Potential as controller is extremely high, but the MIDI programing is not as advertised, but unfinished. VERY unfinished. I don't think there are hardware limitations, but they are so lazy with the software, which would be fine if they let us in to get some third party tools going. For about 5k worth of programing they could sell many many more of these. A shame.

Because I can't change any assignments on the 2CX, I now have to learn other complex and expensive solutions which can do this on the fly. Is it really so much to ask that I can assign cc's and toggle on/off?

Too many Italian dinner parties I think.

But some MIDI issues are in a partially advanced state: your cc programing is unique to preset and zone.

YES, I am using my SL NC 2x to send MIDI drawbar information to a GEMINI MIDI rack (B-3 sound preset) using the old-fashioned 5-pin MIDI cables. It is kinda a labor of love to set up - BUT ONLY ONCE! You have to tell the drawbars to be drawbars instead of VOLUME CONTROLS - so the "top" of the drawbar sends MIDI = 0 instead of a MIDI = 127. I had to take extra meds the first time I set it up, but now, Preset #54 is customized for any Gemini Organ preset, and I can use the drawbars LIVE & GLITCH-FREE. A cute picture of the drawbar positions briefly shows up on the tiny OLED screen on the SL NC 2x while you move them around. It is a great joy.

Sadly, I don't believe the PERCUSSION or VIBRATO controls on the SL NC 2x send MIDI information to switch PERC or VIBR/CHORUS on the Gemini, but I have not tried to do that. Can anybody please tell me I am wrong ??

The MODULATION STICK on the NC 2x does send ROTOR FAST / SLOW by MIDI to the Gemini, but I find this less than useful. ?? has anybody figured out a way to send MIDI from a pedal attached to the NC 2x to actuate ROTOR FAST / SLOW ?

Best,

MIDI RACK-MAN

I love the "meds" comment. I feel you.

Supposedly midi signals are sent from perc and vibrato, but I have not verified this. Stick is mapped as mod wheel, but probably gemini rotary is not.

From SL Nov 16:

"the NC2x has 2 separate MIDI Ports, one related to the internal Upper and Lower sections (not programable) and one related to the MIDI ZONE A and B, programmable.

So far, at least on this INFO mailbox, we did not get complains on this implementation, besides what you mentioned here.

We never intended to write misleading informatipns, however let me check your comments with my Lab and I will revert accordingly.

The NUMA Organ MIDI implementation has nothing to do with the NC2x, as the Organ was never intended to be a kind of MIDI Controller, even if it has some basic MIDI Implementation made for that specific model and normal use.

Please also note that in the latest Firmware we also added a MIDI Single/Multi Channel function as well as a general Local Off, to make cleaner the connections with some Daw, including our Camelot Pro.

Please give me some day for a more detailes analysis and answer.

Thanks again and best regards !"

Not enough people are complaining directly.....get on it people!!!!

Here is the magic device which would take the place of many meds, they should include one untill they finish the 2CX:

[video:youtube]

As I put in my above note, the STICK sending Modulation DOES INDEED make the Gemini Organ Rotor cycle from fast to slow and back. But, like the MOD wheel on my TS-10, location on the left far side of the keyboard (and NOT on a pedal on the floor; or a quick click switch button in the MIDDLE of the board - like M-Audio Code 61 has) it is NOT a good location - and too much motion required for my taste on the stick OR the mod wheel to toggle from fast to slow and back.

The reason for the extra meds is you have to look up the MIDI CC control number for EACH DRAWBAR in the Gemini; then program EACH SL NC 2x drawbar to send the Reverse drawbar MIDI values. All of this work goes into a single program location (in my case, program # 54), which now will send the drawbar MIDI commands to the Gemini. It is very reliable.

I dread to think what will happen if the SL NC 2x loses its marbles and I have to program it all over again.

MIDI Rack-Man

• 3 weeks later...
I begged Gianni to allow us full programing of all sliders buttons and knobs as either cc or nrpn in an email today.

Gianni: "I do not exclude future updates to make all buttons programmable, but I can also not promise, here and now (sorry :-)."

I'm impressed you could reach someone with a feature request and get an answer! Did you reach them just through the Technical Support inquiry form on their web site?

We're waiting eagerly for the next software (firmware) update, which promises an improved DRIVE effect

Is an improved drive effect confirmed as an enhancement that is coming? Where did they say this?

Sadly, I don't believe the PERCUSSION or VIBRATO controls on the SL NC 2x send MIDI information to switch PERC or VIBR/CHORUS on the Gemini, but I have not tried to do that. Can anybody please tell me I am wrong ??

Those buttons do send MIDI CC, I don't see any reason you couldn't remap them on the Gemini side to do what you want.

Because I can't change any assignments on the 2CX, I now have to learn other complex and expensive solutions which can do this on the fly. Is it really so much to ask that I can assign cc's and toggle on/off?

Too many Italian dinner parties I think.

Hmmm... I'm not aware of ANY keyboards with dedicated function controls that allow you to change the CC that those controls send, much less an "entry level" model. No clonewheel where you can change what CC the percussion/CV controls send, no synths where you can change the CCs the filter/envelope controls send, etc. The way you make use of them to control other things is to remap them on the receiving side (which generally works fine for VSTs or IOS sound sources, but not for other hardware modules/keyboards).

From SL Nov 16:

"So far, at least on this INFO mailbox, we did not get complains on this implementation, besides what you mentioned here."

Not enough people are complaining directly.....get on it people!!!!

I guess that's a partial answer to the earlier question... I'm guessing info@studiologic-music.com? Or is it something else? They don't seem to publicize it (as far as I've seen), which would seem to make it hard for them to know how common it is that people are bugged by something... Where did you find it? Maybe I just looked in the wrong places...

The reason for the extra meds is you have to look up the MIDI CC control number for EACH DRAWBAR in the Gemini; then program EACH SL NC 2x drawbar to send the Reverse drawbar MIDI values.

How else would you expect it to work? Nine drawbars, nine controls to remap (either on the sending side or on the receiving side), no matter which drawbar controller you have driving any drawbarless clonewheel sound source, right?

Thanks for the info, but I still can't get the drawbars to send MIDI thru the DIN MIDI Out connection. Pedals and sticks send just fine, but the drawbars send nothing. Is there a setting or parameter on on NC2X that I am missing?

Are you saying that the drawbars DO send MIDI out USB, and the only problem is through the DIN connection?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Haven't tried sending the drawbar MIDI through USB. Even if it works with USB, I need to send MIDI out through DIN to a MIDI Solutions merger.

The reason I asked is, if it doesn't work through either MIDI or USB, I'd suspect you're doing something wrong.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the info, but I still can't get the drawbars to send MIDI thru the DIN MIDI Out connection. Pedals and sticks send just fine, but the drawbars send nothing. Is there a setting or parameter on on NC2X that I am missing?

It will be no problem. Be sure you are in Zone edit (16 pages or so, MIDI options for channel etc), not Part Edit (11 pages)

Pick a zone, you have two. Tell it what channel, then moving down you will start to see Midi CC options. Move sliders to change which one. Then you can scroll through all the ccs and pick what you want to send.

On a general note:

There are no globals for sliders, but it does save this info per zone, per preset. Sliders also programed per zone, so you have in effect 2. What's the problem? Sliders will always send midi no matter if you are tweaking your organ part, unless you turn the whole zone off. So I make one zone with sliders and one without to work with a single target synth like DM12.

We need a "mode" where the sliders express the active zone/part, whatever it is, but nothing else. or at least that should be a mode. That simple fix would be huge.

@Another Scott

infoATstudiologic-music.com

I'm working on a wish list, but assignable destinations for knobs would be nice. My new/old sequencer MPC1k supposedly can redirect on the fly, as can maybe my unitor 8. You can run Sound Diver on a Mac again now with wine to get into the unitors which are cheap. There are some new MIDI routers too which might be able to line two "dumb machines" which have ccs fixed. The point is: the controller should be friendly and flexible with other hardware.

Based on photos, it appears that the Numa Compact 2x doesn't have a left/ mono output, which is standard on most boards. Additionally, unless I missed it, there's no mention of summing to mono in the manual. I'm therefore assuming the Compact 2X doesn't sum to mono, which can be useful for AP's, effects, etc.

Is my assumption correct that the Numa Compact 2X doesn't sum to mono?

FWIW I had a Numa stage piano a few years ago and it was the same . I used the right output for mono on gigs, which works, but is not preferable for me. And please, don't take this thread down the worn-out road of stereo vs. mono. I'm a mono guy for gigs as well as an old lazy curmudgeon who wants to keep it as simple and light as possible.

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I think you are correct, and it's another basic feature which would be useful to players, and well might be possible with current hardware and firmware upgrade.

You probably already know how to make one, but:

Here is nice stereo to mono method

There are no globals for sliders, but it does save this info per zone, per preset. Sliders also programed per zone, so you have in effect 2. What's the problem? Sliders will always send midi no matter if you are tweaking your organ part, unless you turn the whole zone off. So I make one zone with sliders and one without to work with a single target synth like DM12.

We need a "mode" where the sliders express the active zone/part, whatever it is, but nothing else. or at least that should be a mode. That simple fix would be huge.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand. Can you give an example scenario that illustrates the problem?

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand. Can you give an example scenario that illustrates the problem?

I sincerely apreciate the interest :)

The problem is combining Numa Sounds on local parts with exteranl sounds on MIDI zones. If the MIDI zone is "turned on" it will send all CC info programed regardless of the OS focus. We want it to send note and perhaps other info, wheels etc, without focus. But we don't want the sliders to effect instruments which are not selected: this is the defalut beahvior with local sounds. The Sliders effect one sound or the other, not both, at a single time, depending on the part selected.

But ZONES will have either Sliders on or off, regardless of zone selection, or part selection. If you want the sliders to "work" on an external MIDI device, you turn on the zone and get the right channel etc. They still don't do anything, untill you program them, regardless of if the ZONE is on/off. Once you do program the sliders, if the ZONE is active, regardles of what zone or part is selected the sliders send that MIDI info. If you turn them off you loose all programing.

If I select zone one, I want the sliders to effect that zone. If I then select my organ, I want them to effect the organ, not the organ AND the zone.

The workaround is to have duplicate Zones one with sliders on one without. You only turn on the "slider ZONE" when you want to use the sliders on synth X--let's say it's a pad I wnat under my local pianos. When I have the pad right via sliders, I must turn that ZONE off, and turn on another X synth ZONE that has the sliders un-programed. Only then can I turn back to my local parts and use the sliders while Synth X is playing without screwing it up.

Also, I may have mentioned it, but there is no way to assign any other knobs to perform tasks over MIDI, unless I am missing something. You can "turn the sliders on" at least or leave them off. There is no way to turn the knobs...any of them....."on". That I have found. And I have looked.

Ironically the local knob destinations can be accessed from an external MIDI device on the "other two" local parts. It's a four part keyboard, but 2 parts can't be played locally. Except I guess if you plug MIDI DIN out to IN, as noted above.

The board is potentially very powerful as a MIDI controller. But it's hamstrung by current programing. I think all hardware needed is onboard.

Oh, so the issue is that if you layer an internal and an external sound in the same zone, you can't have the sliders affect the external sound without having them also affect the internal sound, is that it?

Knobs (FX1, FX2, Reverb) do send MIDI but you can't change what channel they send on or what CC they transmit, so any mapping has to be done externally. That's not unusual, to not be able to define the MIDI transmission of any dedicated/function-labeled knobs a board may have. On the plus side, the board's 9 definable sliders still give it more definable MIDI controls than most boards (not counting soundless controllers).

Oh, so the issue is that if you layer an internal and an external sound in the same zone, you can't have the sliders affect the external sound without having them also affect the internal sound, is that it?

Knobs (FX1, FX2, Reverb) do send MIDI but you can't change what channel they send on or what CC they transmit, so any mapping has to be done externally. That's not unusual, to not be able to define the MIDI transmission of any dedicated/function-labeled knobs a board may have. On the plus side, the board's 9 definable sliders still give it more definable MIDI controls than most boards (not counting soundless controllers).

Thank you again, I know you are way more experienced than me and I appreciate the interchange.

Zones, as I understand it, don't apply to internal sounds. The two zones are your two windows to external sound engines via MIDI. So 2 Zones (My 1991 SL880 has 4, as should this) only for use via MIDI. 2 Parts (why can't we also access the other 2 locally?) are internal sounds we select. We have four things. All can be on or off. But what does "ON" mean? Specifically when do MIDI programed sliders apply to what zone and what part....or more important, what zone. How the sliders work with the parts is how we want them to work with the zones. They don't behave in the same way, once programed to start working. You can't stop them sending MIDI without deactivating the ZONE. So, the Zone is hot, sliders running my Deepmind. Great. I leave it "on"> zone light is on. I switch to my local Parts and pick an organ, which want to layer with the hot DMzone. I touch a drawbar. They effect the organ, if it is specifically selected. Great. Suddenly my DM12 is all over the place. Why? Because they are also sending MIDI since the hot zone is "on". What I want is the Zone "on" but it's sliders "off": when another part or zone is selected. Otherwise chaos. Super simple programing we know is possible because if the sliders are not programed they don't send MIDI. If you turn them off yourself, after programing, you loose all programing, unless previously saved. Perhaps "off"is not right, maybe "hold". We want zone sliders fixed at their selection unless the zone is selected, then they should work like they do with the organs.

I, so far, have not been able to monitor any MIDI from knobs at all. But you have jogged my old brain and I will look again. My MPC1000 is an excellent MIDI signal monitor and also will swap cc info in/out on the fly. So if I can find the MIDI transmit (I use DIN) I can use them. It could be they behave differently over USB MIDI. I'll keep looking for them.

I'm watching a Sweetwater demo of the Kyra right now. That awesome demo guy is using the NUMA 2Cx as his controller, which he is doing frequently. That would be great if the product was properly configured for use as hardware controller. It's not, yet. I don't think they really take this product seriously. But real players are liking it. Mainly because of the keybed and footprint. Not because of the local sounds. The marketing also promotes it's power as MIDI controller.

I would not recommend it for that purpose now. With just a little due diligence I would.

PS another workaround: the cc programing is saved, per zone, per preset. This is what they did really well. So, I could program my zone sliders, save, then turn off sliders manually. Then if I change presets and come back, the sliders are also back. But you will hear that for sure. Not a great method. If you have a single device to control on MIDI, then best, as I said above, it to use both zones, but only program the sliders on one. Leave it "off", unless you want to use them. As long as the other zone is on you keys will work.

Zones, as I understand it, don't apply to internal sounds. The two zones are your two windows to external sound engines via MIDI.

"Zones" can be a nebulous concept. As a player, I've tended to think of a Zone as a particular range of keys independently assignable to a particular sound. But vendors have used the term differently.

The Casio PX-3 was marketed as 4 zone, but there were only two independent key ranges (a single split, yielding upper and lower sections)... they called it 4 zone because each half of the keyboard could play an internal sound and an external sound, so they saw two internal zones and two identically mapped external zones and said 2 internal zones +2 external zones = 4 zones.

Yamaha (Motif/Montage and their derivatives) use the word Zone only in the context of MIDI functionality. When you split a keyboard into two (or more) sounds, they different key ranges are not called Zones... they are only Zones if you've configured the different key regions to transmit on different MIDI channels.

Numa Compact 2X has essentially the same setup as the Casio PX-3 I described above, except they call it 2-zone instead of 4-zone. The external (MIDI) configurations are zones, while the internal sounds (sharing the same split point), are referred to in the manual as "sections." More like the Yamaha terminology.

So there's no hard and fast definition... a zone is what the manufacturer of a board says it is, and I think that can lead to some confusion, as a manufacturer's implementation may not match what someone has in their head or the way some other board worked.

So 2 Zones (My 1991 SL880 has 4, as should this) only for use via MIDI. 2 Parts (why can't we also access the other 2 locally?) are internal
I don't think this was intended to be an updated SL880, it has a very different feature set, each doing things the other didn't do. But my guess is that the 2-part limitation had to do with the basic operational design of the board. The entire front panel design and interface was brought over from the Numa Compact 2. I'm not sure they could have easily shoehorned control of 4 parts into a design clearly built around 2 parts (2 part select buttons, a screen that shows 2 parts at a time, 2 sets of effects). So I just kind of see it as a bonus that there's two more sounds you can simultaneously access over MIDI (which you could not do on the Numa Compact 2).

Specifically when do MIDI programed sliders apply to what zone and what part....or more important, what zone. How the sliders work with the parts is how we want them to work with the zones. They don't behave in the same way, once programed to start working. You can't stop them sending MIDI without deactivating the ZONE. So, the Zone is hot, sliders running my Deepmind. Great. I leave it "on"> zone light is on. I switch to my local Parts and pick an organ, which want to layer with the hot DMzone. I touch a drawbar. They effect the organ, if it is specifically selected. Great. Suddenly my DM12 is all over the place. Why? Because they are also sending MIDI since the hot zone is "on". What I want is the Zone "on" but it's sliders "off": when another part or zone is selected.

If I understand your problem, you want to be able to layer your external (Deepmind) sound with your internal (organ) sound, and have the sliders affect only the internal sound. You have a point, there appears to be an interface inconsistency here. I just tried it, and if you layer an internal and external sound, and the screen focus is on the external sound, you have slider control over the external sound as expected, while the sliders don't affect the internal sound. OTOH, if the screen focus is on the internal sound, the sliders DO still affect the external sound (as well as, of course, the internal sound). Confusing. I agree, at any given time, it would probably be best if the sliders would affect either the internal sound or the external but not both. But your two workarounds seem reasonable. I suppose one could also use it mostly as either a MIDI controller OR a source of internal sounds, and not both simultaneously, at least over the same keys. That is, when you say it is disappointing as a MIDI controller, it seems to only be disappointing when using internal and external sounds simultaneously over the same key range. So... don't do that. ;-) But yes, I can see where it would be useful for them to address this.

I, so far, have not been able to monitor any MIDI from knobs at all. But you have jogged my old brain and I will look again.

The reverb knob transmits on channel 16. The two FX knobs transmit on channels 1 or 2, depending on whether the screen focus is on the right (Zone B/Upper) or left (Zone A/Lower) side of the display. But I can see where this could again be problematic for layering internal and external sounds, because you probably don't want the external sounds on the same MIDI channels as the internal sounds.

I think that, even as a controller, all this may be more of an issue for you driving another hardware board compared to those driving software, where you have have more options on the receiving side to remap things.

I'm trying to get my DAW to play drums on Part 4 (or 3) of the Numa Compact 2x, but can't seem to send it the correct Bank and Program Change Number. I'm using DP. The only way I can get drums to play via external Midi is to send on MIDI Ch 16, and send Program Change 50 or something (I forget) but that plays one of the two INTERNAL parts, not the 3rd or 4th part. I CAN get parts 3 and 4 to play, (on channels 3 and 4) but can't make them select a Drum Patch.

Thanks for any help. and Hi Another, long time no see.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

I think I saw some bank and program info in the lastest manual, there was none at first, and bank/program config is not obvious. My understanding, always evolving, is that only two parts can be accessed externally, but these are two addtional parts, so do not effect local parts.

IE it's a four-part multi-timbral engine in which two parts are only local and two only MIDI. Very limited configuration ability.

However, since you can easily play four parts with two seperate MIDI destinations, per preset, a 4-way split is possible, and as noted above, you can get to the extra two parts from the NUMA via MIDI. So really it seems playing four local parts is entirely possible with some MIDI routing.

They really don't have that many active products, showing some love to this one would pay dividends ahead, I think. The common-sense MIDI routing features will take very little memory space. People really want to use this more as their controller, but as with so many products now--AKAI a great example--- rigourous application is something from the past.

I'm sure there is also plenty of room on the chips for a simple sequencer also which could point to one of these extra parts. Run some drums.

"oh just use your phone" that's the kind of thing we get asking about such basics today. I don't even want to look at my phone, why do you think I bought a organ? Jeez.

That said, I'm about to buy midiflow and see if it works with IK pro duo.

So really it seems playing four local parts is entirely possible with some MIDI routing.

They really don't have that many active products, showing some love to this one would pay dividends ahead, I think. The common-sense MIDI routing features will take very little memory space.

I'm sure there is also plenty of room on the chips for a simple sequencer also which could point to one of these extra parts. Run some drums.

I think there are a couple of issues here... One is that the board is about simplicity. So, sure it can play four sounds at once, but can setting them up on the board itself be done without complicating the interface? Also, even if they wanted to add more knobs/buttons or a second display or whatever, there's not a whole lot of space, plus it adds expense to what is already toward the high end of what is marketed as a budget keyboard, plus they are probably trying to stick as close as possible to what they did in the Numa Compact 2, to re-use the same componentry and programming to the greatest extent possible. That kind of repurposeing is part of what lets budget instruments be budget instruments. It may also be worth noting that software has not typically been a Numa/Studiologic strength...so when you start talking about complicating an interface with management of more parts or adding a sequencer, I start to think, the more you ask, the buggier/quirkier it may be. ;-)

..................... It may also be worth noting that software has not typically been a Numa/Studiologic strength...so when you start talking about complicating an interface with management of more parts or adding a sequencer, I start to think, the more you ask, the buggier/quirkier it may be. ;-) ............

Amen to that brother!!

fwiw I am thinking of the NC2Ex - I already bought the Alesis Control Hub after you mentioned it Scott - great bit of "easy" kit there! And a bit OT here, sorry - The controller (as a second board) is, and don't laugh, a Vortex 2! That way I can always pick it up and become mobile! No wires, cord, power supplies....easy!

Dennis

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I think I saw some bank and program info in the lastest manual, there was none at first, and bank/program config is not obvious. My understanding, always evolving, is that only two parts can be accessed externally, but these are two addtional parts, so do not effect local parts.

IE it's a four-part multi-timbral engine in which two parts are only local and two only MIDI. Very limited configuration ability.

However, since you can easily play four parts with two seperate MIDI destinations, per preset, a 4-way split is possible, and as noted above, you can get to the extra two parts from the NUMA via MIDI. So really it seems playing four local parts is entirely possible with some MIDI routing.

Yes, I did that, even plugged its midi out into its midi In and accessed parts 3 and 4 for a 4-way split. But I thought I smelled something burning, and it wasn't playing to the Numa Compact 2x's main strength, which, IMHO is real quick and responsive live playing with great live sounds, so I never tried that again.

As far as bank and program info in the manual, YES, i Tried that - it said Bank 5 Program 14 or something. But it didn't give drums. I'm going to go back and see if it's one of those 0=1 in the implementation things. They also said that either the LSB or MSB didn't matter, but I'm not sure I entered the command correctly in DP.

Still loving the axe though. Don't need a sequencer, but I'd love a tweak to the Drive, without losing what it has, make it more even over the whole keyboard, instead of heavier on the low notes, and also I think they'll probably remove that dead zone in the Drive knob near the beginning...

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

The manual says the LSB can be ignored, but when I changed the LSB (in DP's event list window) it DID change the sound in the Numa.

I'm wondering if the MIDI pages on the Numa are only for MIDI out, or if they are also affecting those 3rd and 4th "midi only" 'internal" Layers in the Numa?

I just picked up a Compact 2X locally for a good price. It's a fun little board with a good semi-weighted action that works for me for both piano and organ. IMO its action isn't quite as springy as and works better for piano for me than my NE5D and Hammond SK1. That being said, I still prefer my Kurz SP4-7's semi-weighted action for piano.

I plan to use the Compact 2X for practice upstairs in my bedroom with its onboard speakers, as back-up for my other gigging boards, for rehearsals and jams, and for quick gigs with difficult load-in / load-out. I just updated the Firmware and added some new sounds from Studiologic's website. While doing the update I contacted Studiologic and received a very prompt reply within a few hours. I was impressed, especially compared to some of the other manufacturers I've dealt with.

IMHO the Compact 2X's new "Japanese Grand", which I just uploaded, is pretty damn good and compares favorably to Nord's Yamaha C7 "Studio Grand 2" which is my NE5D's go-to-piano for gigs. The Compact 2X's organ section is surprisingly good for a budget board and is definitely giggable in a band context. As others have noted the Leslie sim is mediocre and the overdrive is really bad. I'm hoping Studiologic improves the Leslie sim and overdrive in a future update, but I also understand if they make them too good, the Compact 2X could start cannibalizing the market for their Numa organ. I'm also hoping another Rhodes sample is added with more bark and bite.

I don't play much synth and I don't plan to do a bunch of complex midi stuff with the Compact 2X, so I'm not worried about its capabilities in those areas. All-in-all, even with no additional improvements, I am as happy as a six-peckered goat with this little cheap board.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I wonder how this Klipsch 12' subwoofer would do as a companion to the Spacestation for small rooms/low volume? It says 400 watts. And at 33lbs, it seems substantial. On sale at Costco for $179.99. I"ve always liked the sound of Klipsch. May be the ticket.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100526745.html

Model R-12SW

Edit to add: I"d have to put a grille over the front.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping for another firmware update, we could really use even cooler Rotary and Drive effects, and maybe a few new Instrument waveforms too!

Having said that, the Numa Compact 2x killed it again at tonight's 2 man gig down in the Village.

Maybe we should suggest a wish list of sorts? For mine, I would also suggest an additional Leslie type also, an improved DRIVE effect (I am leaning towards a soft Tube model), a couple of additional Rhodes samples with more "bell" and more bark, chromatic percussion and a way to alter & save both synth and organ presets in a future firmware update. Even so, this is still a great "bang for buck" keyboard after doing over a year of gigs and band rehearsals with it. I still love it, and it is still one of my "go to" keyboards.

I also recently had the chance to hear another keyboard player perform a gig on an NC2x in a dance/zydeco band, and the board really did sound good in that context. I really do love the ease of transport, and the stage flexibility.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we should suggest a wish list of sorts? For mine, I would also suggest an additional Leslie type also, an improved DRIVE effect (I am leaning towards a soft Tube model), a couple of additional Rhodes samples with more "bell" and more bark, chromatic percussion and a way to alter & save both synth and organ presets in a future firmware update. Even so, this is still a great "bang for buck" keyboard after doing over a year of gigs and band rehearsals with it. I still love it, and it is still one of my "go to" keyboards.

I also recently had the chance to hear another keyboard player perform a gig on an NC2x in a dance/zydeco band, and the board really did sound good in that context. I really do love the ease of transport, and the stage flexibility.

I actually like the feel of the keyboard especially the aftertouch and the key width. Am used to the spongy-rubbery component by now. I agree with Star_Guy about more better Lesile, with a few parameters if possible, to edit like Ramp up and Low Rotor Speed, and yes the Drive - it's a crazy cool effect as is, but if it responded more evenly over the keyboard range, and maybe had a few varieties or a tone control... yeah! Maybe a Dirt component, akin to Leakage, but with some special GG sauce... A Rhodes with more bark? Why not! though I love the first one that comes up. And owning a Sledge II, it's hard to believe that the 'synth engine' in the 2x is even related to that editable PPG filter PPG wave 3 oscillator beast...but if the sliders could be dual-function with the press of a key, to allow for Envelope Amount, oscillator detune, filter key scaling, independent velocity mod of filter cutoff and amplitude envelope...maybe a cross mod parameter and an envelope mod of pitch per oscillator....