Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven Live Demos

I captured a couple performances where I am playing the Rhodes model on the Crumar Seven. I really think this is the closest to a real Rhodes that I have ever used. It just responds right. I was wary of the TP-100 keybed since I mostly have organ chops these days, but the marriage of the heavier action and the way the physically modeled Rhodes responds is a perfect match.

In this first demo, I am playing the Seven straight into a Fender Deluxe tube amp - no internal amp sim.

[video:youtube]

In the second demo, I am running the Seven into a Motion Sound 612 with the amp simulation on. I am surprised at how close it sounds to the clip above with the real tube amp.

[video:youtube]

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Sounds great with the band, very nice performance.

It"s very vibey feeling, looking, playing and sounding on Rhodes.

I didn"t like it for acoustic piano at all however when I spent an afternoon with it.

Next to the CP88 in the shop it was hard to not feel the CP is just much more practical.

The Yamaha does a Rhodes just as well as acoustic and plays really well on either.

No screw in chrome legs though.

But, if I was looking for a maintenance free digital Rhodes impersonator to drag out, the Seven is it.

At least until the Legend 70s arrives to throw another option in the mix.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Terrific,,,great sound and great playing

+1

I"m trying to determine the type of Rhodes this sounds like. Perhaps a Mark V? Never played one, and maybe not an adequate reference, but there"s a Mark V patch in my Kronos of which this reminds me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nice playing Mitch!

If I was more of a bread and butter keys guy, I could really see the appeal of Mojo61 on top of Crumar Seven running into one of the new Motion Sound amps. Simple, great sound-sounding setup.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Best Seven demos I've seen, by far. Not to knock their Italian guy, but somehow the detail and dynamics of the Seven comes through more effectively in these videos. Crumar has a great ambassador in Mitch.

As far as the playing, I really admire Mitch's ability to pick his spots for going outside. Feels like he challenges the listener's ear without losing them. Midwest jazz!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

That"s a nice round tone thru the Fender Deluxe tube amp. Love the sound of good tubes. I run my Mojo 61 through a Fender solid state Bass amp on the left channe and a Fender tube Champ amp on the right side for the mid-high end . It sounds pretty warm and rounded. The tubes with the highs and mids are great. I like solid state for the low end is tight.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Such a tasteful solo, Mitch. I"m gonna download this onto Transcribe! and use it as a template for some wood shedding during the holidays.

Thank you for the ð!

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Thank you all for the great comments and compliments! The Seven is very inspiring to play. The main thing for me when it comes to any type of clone (Hammond, Rhodes, piano, etc.) is how close the instrument sounds and feels like the real thing. The closer you get to the top of that pyramid, the more inspiring I find the instrument to be and it comes out in my playing. I know that there are players who can destroy on anything. For me, I play better when the instrument is giving me what I want to hear.

It is kind of like the scene in "Beautiful Mind" where the equations seem to appear right in front of his eyes. When I am playing a real Hammond or Rhodes, more ideas seem to develop on their own, which connect to other ideas, etc. When I am playing a clone of any type, less ideas seem to appear. When I am playing the Seven, the ideas are there just like when I am playing the real thing,

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Such a tasteful solo, Mitch. I"m gonna download this onto Transcribe! and use it as a template for some wood shedding during the holidays.

Thank you for the ð!

That is a huge compliment!!

Have you tried AudioStretch on the iPhone or iPad? It is my favorite transcribing tool because you can scrub back and forth on the audio with your finger. It is a game changer. Check it out!

Mitch, I am not even a little bit happy with you right now. I had given the Seven serious consideration and research when it came out, and concluded that while it seemed like a fine product, it did not have a place in my personal arsenal. I was content and comfortable in that decision, and had stopped thinking about it. Then you went and posted these videos, and they inspired me to look into it again, and down that rabbit hole I went. Now here I am seriously considering whether a Seven with my Mojo 61 on top might not just be the ideal setup for a lot of my gigs, and what I would have to sell to make that happen.

Damn you, man!

Mitch, you are killin it, as always!

To echo Josh:

Damn you, man!

I am considering a second try of the Seven down the road, possibly an A/B with the new Viscount 70s for my casual Rhodes gigs.

Def either board with a MS 612!

Damn your eyes!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

a Seven with my Mojo 61 on top might (snip) be the ideal setup for a lot of my gigs

dB had this set up at Gearfest 2018, 18 months ago. It got a lot of attention and overall people were very happy with it.

And of course, to Mitch :thx:

:nopity:

• 2 weeks later...
Mitch, you are killin it, as always!

To echo Josh:

Damn you, man!

I am considering a second try of the Seven down the road, possibly an A/B with the new Viscount 70s for my casual Rhodes gigs.

Def either board with a MS 612!

Damn your eyes!

Ha! Jim, I know you were less than happy with the feel of The Seven when you tried it, but, surprisingly, I think the TP-100 feels great with the Rhodes models.