Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eastwood Guitars

jimmac

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of decent semi-holloew guitars on the market.

It's nice to actually play the one you are interested in, regardless of brand or country of origin.

I've been considering pickup one up, I only paid $400 for my Gibson ES-335 Studio but that was 1988 and is now an Epiphone level price.

I am hesitant to gig with it, as a guitar tech I've glued my share of Gibson headstocks and this one is still intact.

And, I've played some nice Epiphones, Samick, Hamer, etc. So shop around, especially check your local craiglists.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the feed back. My friend was looking at one and neither of us had any knowledge about their reputation. I am thinking about a hollow body electric but just starting. First one I want to handle is an Epi Joe Pass model but I may wait until Sweetwater has their big open house this spring/summer and try to get there for a day. I was there once and impressed. Jim

Thanks for the feed back. My friend was looking at one and neither of us had any knowledge about their reputation. I am thinking about a hollow body electric but just starting. First one I want to handle is an Epi Joe Pass model but I may wait until Sweetwater has their big open house this spring/summer and try to get there for a day. I was there once and impressed. Jim

Sweetwater has been a consistently great vendor, I am a happy customer.

Hollowbodys are another animal entirely but there are lots around. The Epiphone line is certainly worth considering, their affiliation with Gibson puts the in a sweet spot for hollowbodies.

I've never held an Eastwood in my hands but they have a good reputation. There is a craigslist posting up here that surfaces every now and again, the seller is claiming that the first year Eastwood he owns was made in the USA before they moved the shop to China. So he wants a very high price for his guitar and nobody has bought it. There is zero verifiable evidence that Eastwood build a single guitar in the USA, if somebody posts that I would just ignore them, delusions die hard.

Band for the buck is in used guitars. Many have nothing wrong with them or simply need a good set-up.

This is something to bear in mind, most guitars (AND guitarists!!!) will benefit from a well-done set up by a professional guitar tech. It can make a world of difference.

A good tech will want to see you play a bit or at least describe how you go about it. We are all different, what works for one may not be the best solution for another.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I bought an Epi ES-175 (The Gibson model was one of Joe Pass' favorite guitars) and the Epi Premium model runs about $1,000. It came stock with upgrades US 500K pots and US made 57 Gibson humbuckers. A lot cheaper than buying a cheaper version and upgrading it yourself. It plays and feels just like the $4,000 Gibson model. I'm very pleased with it. They are made in Korea and assembled in the US. It had one flaw in the output jack coming loose due to stripped threads. I had my tech mount a steel plate and put in an upgraded jack. Problem solved and I have relied on it for quite a few gigs. It is a well made work horse with a laminate spruce arch top (as opposed to my solid spruce top guitar) that I can take to outdoor gigs and leave my more expensive guitar at home when it's too hot or cold outside. :cool:

ps. It didn't come with a case, but the Joe Pass Emperor case fits it perfectly...

Take care, Larryz