Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vulfpeck - Live at Madison Square Garden

I think the showboating is part of what you go see them for -- I mean, one of their first released songs in the early 2010s, Beastly, was essentially a bass solo vehicle. They've developed an audience that loves that, because they make being good at your instruments accessible, fun, and a team sport, rather than ego-driven and competitive.

I was to emphasize the bolded passage. This selflessness may be the root of their success. Each of these guys could front their own band (and in some cases they do, as side projects), but they choose the greater good of the band effort over their own egos. There is a good Chris Rock comedy bit about marriage where he explains that, metaphorically, sometimes you're the "lead singer" of the couple and other times you just gotta "play the tambourine." And, when it is your turn to play the tambourine, play the best darn tambourine you can and don't try to one-up the lead singer. In Vulfpeck, sometimes a band member is LITERALLY called on to just play the tambourine, and they play the heck out of that tambourine! A good example is the Beastly video, where Woody -- whom Samuel rightly identifies as perhaps the best musician in the band -- plays just cowbell.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey Dosik can play, and sing. This song is usually in Bb but he plays it in C sometimes also:

Wow, nice stripped down arrangement, and such a velvety, soulful voice.

Joey is crazy talented...I remember the first time I saw him singing (probably "Running Away" posted above), I thought to myself..."huh, isn't that the sax player singing?" and then "wait, he can play keys at the same time too?!"

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I'd read up on them if you want to hear about some of the smartest DYI career moves made by any artist in the last five or six years.
Sometimes overlooked is that fact that Jack Stratton is a marketing genius. No doubt the great musicianship is a big part of their success, but the way Jack has managed to promote the band is really something.

Count me among the cohort that is incredibly happy for the band's success. It was actually a thread from James that introduced this band to me in the first place: What was that band called again?

Sometimes overlooked is that fact that Jack Stratton is a marketing genius. No doubt the great musicianship is a big part of their success, but the way Jack has managed to promote the band is really something.

Yes, totally agree!

The other day I found myself watching a promo for a Vulf font...

[video:youtube]

...and thought to myself, "that's pretty cool...I want that!".

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I'm reluctatnt to say anything critical about Vulpeck or this awesome video. I like them a lot, and the video captures a great concert. Although it comes across as very self-conscious, to their credit they are owning it and in fact going over the top with it.

Stepping back a bit, here's another band playing mostly funk music that seemingly can't attract any people of color to the show. From the looks of it, their audience is as white as any Dave Matthews or Phish concert. I don't say that as a criticism -- it's certainly not their intent at all. I used to go to Phish shows and other jam band-y shows and find myself in an ocean of caucasions (like myself). The feeling it gave me wasn't so much that anybody was doing anything bad, but more that we were missing an opportunity to promote social harmony. Again, this is just a sociological observation, and not in any way a criticism of Vulpeck, which is after all an interracial collaborative.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Watching the MSG show.. getting better with multiple viewings, on many levels. Here are some quotes out there.

Vulfpeck may well be the most important band of new music business.

the first band to ever headline Madison Square Garden without a manager or a record label

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud