Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigs in Sydney?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No gigs for me in that time as I"m away in Melbourne.

In Sydney we have had a month of visible smoke haze and the smell of smoke everywhere, but nothing like we experienced yesterday as we drove to Canberra on the first leg of our trip. What would be a 3.5 hour trip normally turned into 6 due to road closures. There was only one short period of about 5 minutes when the light seemed almost normal, otherwise smoke haze all the way. The smoke near Goulburn and Canberra was like a thick fog. I"ve never experienced anything like it.

Legend Live, Leslie 251/147, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I heard the fires down there are brutal. How is the air in Sydney?

John summed it up well, my only addition would be to say the actual air quality has been up to 11 times worse than acceptable levels on some days, so beware if you have asthma / COPD etc.

I"d definitely be checking out Darren"s band if I were lucky enough to be in Sydney on the 27th.

Re: the air quality. I was in Sydney last weekend and spent most of my time in the South Western suburbs. You could constantly smell and taste the smoke. Quite eerie. I note last night they cancelled a cricket match in Canberra due to poor air quality. First time I"ve ever heard of that happening. Cricinfo.com called it 'rain delay' presumably due to the fact their database has not had to deal with this scenario before.

Fwiw, I'm in Canberra and have just returned from lunch with my sister's family in Berrima, a bit over half way to Sydney, which is where she'd driven from. Smoke south of Berrima is still like thick fog in most areas due to a south-westerly blowing smoke from fires on the south coast (Nowra and Bateman's Bay). She said Sydney is better, and I see there is no 'smoke haze' note on Sydney forecasts for the coming week atm, unlike Canberra where the forecast heading for each day through to Friday is simply 'smoke haze'.

Last time I was in Sydney I saw Darren with a quartet and absolutely recommend you check them out.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Well all of Australia, from Perth to Queensland is burning. When it affects some one who is one of your closet life long friends, and a short drive from Berrima, it really hits home. See link below. BTW he has a Phd and a world renowned in his field of ceramics and kiln design.

As I type this the smell of smoke is still strong in Sydney.

man survived in makeshift coffin

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Well all of Australia, from Perth to Queensland is burning. When it affects some one who is one of your closet life long friends, and a short drive from Berrima, it really hits home. See link below. BTW he has a Phd and a world renowned in his field of ceramics and kiln design.

As I type this the smell of smoke is still strong in Sydney.

man survived in makeshift coffin

Wow Mark I saw this on the news last night and was so impressed with his approach to a really hard situation.

To the OP, the other thing you might want to do is bring a dust mask, as you might imagine they're in short supply atm, and our fire season will run through to March.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

The cover band i play in, is gigging at 'The Juniors' on Friday 3rd Jan from 8.30pm and 'Revesby Workers Club' on Sat 11 Jan from 8.30pm Mainly top 40 dance tunes from the late 70's through to some modern numbers if that's your thing. BUT you'd be a guest, so i'd want to buy you a beer :)

Whatever happens and despite our fires i hope you have an enjoyable holiday catching up with family.

Thank you everyone.

Mark I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am so very glad he is ok. What a harrowing experience it must have been as the flames got closer and closer. Darren and Gino, it would be a privilege to see you play and to meet you in person. I am a little uncertain about the plans the family has made for us. Let me reach out to you by PM and give you a heads up after I arrive when I will know more. Best wishes for the holidays and please stay safe!