Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC series and NAMM 2020

Looking to add a 2nd fantastic full featured board to my Kronos 88.

Studio/recording keyboard person here, I don't gig

MODX8 is a solid choice. I am following Fantom- I don't think its ready

for my requirements, not for $4000.

I am not familiar with Kurzweil series but spec wise, I like what I see.

The PC4 looks like a winner on paper.

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/forte/product_comparisons/311/

Wondering if Kurzweil owners do the NAMM waiting game or if there

is serious buzz on a next generation or a big move on the PC series

Thank you for your Kurzweil wisdom.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to add a 2nd fantastic full featured board to my Kronos 88.

Studio/recording keyboard person here, I don't gig

MODX8 is a solid choice. I am following Fantom- I don't think its ready

for my requirements, not for $4000.

I am not familiar with Kurzweil series but spec wise, I like what I see.

The PC4 looks like a winner on paper.

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/forte/product_comparisons/311/

The only Kurzweil wisdom I can offer is: where is the closest repair center to where you live?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Lookin

The only Kurzweil wisdom I can offer is: where is the closest repair center to where you live?

I am not interested in doing that. Thanks.

[70's Songwriter]

That hasn't been my personal experience (re: service).

I bought a PC361 used, thinking that I would just use it as a MIDI controller, and it's become a dominant voice in all of my songs and productions.

If you were to A-B a Kurzweil against some of it's competitors, I suspect the competitors might outshine it in terms of sparkle and pizazz. But when it comes to finding and programming useful sounds that you can actually put to work in a composition, there is nothing like a Kurzweil. And customization? There is really nothing like a Kurzweil.

Give a Forte or a PC4 a whirl and see what you think.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

That hasn't been my personal experience (re: service).

I bought a PC361 used, thinking that I would just use it as a MIDI controller, and it's become a dominant voice in all of my songs and productions.

If you were to A-B a Kurzweil against some of it's competitors, I suspect the competitors might outshine it in terms of sparkle and pizazz. But when it comes to finding and programming useful sounds that you can actually put to work in a composition, there is nothing like a Kurzweil. And customization? There is really nothing like a Kurzweil.

Give a Forte or a PC4 a whirl and see what you think.

Todd

thats a good point. I am used to Korg/Roland/Yamaha putting their programming talent into factory sounds.

Most of my 'programming ' is working with FX and other tweaks. It makes sense one has to snorkel dive into the keyboard

to get a full benefit.

[70's Songwriter]

I second checking out a Forte ( which I own) or PC4. And if you should decide to pull the trigger on the PC4 I highly recommend buying from Dave Weiser

I already have a Kronos 88 . Looking at the chart , there is some technical diff between a Forte and a PC4

[70's Songwriter]

I just bought a MODX7 and have had a Kurzweil PC361 for years. I worried about the reliability of the Kurzweil but I haven't had a problem with it (Knock on wood). I bought the MODX to replace the Kurzweil in my live rig too lighten the load. The Kurzweil has never had a problem.

I think MODX is terrific, even for my home studio. Good to hear your Kurzweil was a solid gigging board.

I am of the opinion that a Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, Yamaha are dialed in on having a low defect rate for there expensive

keyboards. In general , I see the defect complaints but keep perspective on how deep it goes.

[70's Songwriter]

I gig with Kronos X61 and Kurz Forte. I love this combination. If you tweak a lot as you mentioned, the Kurz KDFX would be heaven to you. You can modulate almost anything you want, on top of that, you have extreme sonic flexibility ( even up to 32 layers per program). It"s really crazy what you can do with the Forte, yet, as someone else mentioned, it has plenty of useful mainstream, gig ready sounds built right in. And yes, if you buy from Mr. Weiser you"ll get a boatload of his custom sounds ( along with great support ). I can"t speak for the PC4 but I assume it is quite similar to Forte ?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

The big move on the PC series just happened. From PC3 to PC4.

Most places are sold out or back ordered for PC4's.

Lots of people are hoping to see a 76 or 61 key PC4 in addition to the current 88 key.

I wasn't aware of a negative Kurzweil reliability rep. I haven't had problems with the ones I've had.

Thank you for the info. Its good to know that the PC4 88 is the latest/greatest.

I will call around to see if a dealer has a floor model vs waiting around for NAMM Kurzweil news

[70's Songwriter]

I think MODX is terrific, even for my home studio. Good to hear your Kurzweil was a solid gigging board.

I am of the opinion that a Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, Yamaha are dialed in on having a low defect rate for there expensive

keyboards. In general , I see the defect complaints but keep perspective on how deep it goes.

The PC3X has been my main keyboard for about 10 years and I"ve have never had a serious problem with it.

My Roland FA-06 on the other hand... :wall: - I guess we all have a brand that we don"t trust :whistle:

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.

The PC4 features a 16-track internal sequencer to record/edit/mix/produce your own tracks - all in the box

I like the Specs

Have you used the standalone SEQ for song recording ?

Thanks

[70's Songwriter]

K2661 from 2004, no problems at all...

I want a PC4 61 but i am really waiting for a K2600 series successor...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com