Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording from headphone out

Hi, been checking out some kawaii digital pianos. Unfortunately they don't equip their $2000 pianos with line outputs. Audio over USB is missing, as is onboard audio recorder.

I'm wondering how to record performances.

Seems my options are 1) mic up the speakers, 2) use headphone output.

Both seem like terrible options, but what about that headphone jack? It there a real problem or disadvantage with recording from headphone out into portable audio recorder or usb interface? I'm guessing the loudspeakers will cut out when inserting a plug into the phones output, which will be inconvenient.

cheers

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the instrument connected to your speakers? Through the headphone jack? If yes, then why would you consider miking the speakers an option? Unless you want to capture the tone of a particular speaker, I don't really see an advantage there. I would just use the line level headphone ...which is a stereo signal. So odd they didn't include a separate line level output though!

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

i'm referring to the furniture style digital pianos with built-in speakers, not stage pianos. for example, Cn29, Ca48.

I would just use the headphone jack. I don't see why this shouldn't work. You should be able to get a pretty strong clean stereo signal. If it were me, I would take a portable recorder and test the output for myself.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

i'm referring to the furniture style digital pianos with built-in speakers, not stage pianos. for example, Cn29, Ca48.

I would just use the headphone jack. I don't see why this shouldn't work. You should be able to get a pretty strong clean stereo signal. If it were me, I would take a portable recorder and test the output for myself.

I am certain that would mute the built-in speakers. I've considered doing exactly this, but using the headphone jack to the Mic input on my video camera (with an adapter of course). But I'm probably going to have to use at least one small computer-style speaker (from the Line Out on the keyboard) so I can hear what I am playing.

If you try the headphone jack be sure to drop the volume all the way down first then gradually bring it up. Headphone out is an amplified signal way hotter than the line out of a regular digital stage piano.

Yes, they make attenuators with reduction (ex. -12db) so that it electronically reduces the output level. The other option is to put a high quality mixer in between the headphone and the DAW and use it to reduce the output. You may get noise from the mixer depending on its quality that is why I mentioned the attenuator which shouldn't introduce any additional noise. -12db attenuator should do the trick.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

indeed these were my main concerns, output being too hot and overloading the audio recorder or interface, meaning you have to turn the piano way down and then noise can be an issue, and the headphone jack muting the speakers so you can no longer hear what you are playing, so you'll have to monitor from the capture device.

my $400 yamaha has line-out, audio over usb and I can choose whether to mute the speakers or not so I have many good options. All these are lacking on the kawai as far as I can tell from the manual.

trying to figure out if these glaring omissions are a deal-breaker or not...

hang out with me at woody piano shack