Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pit Work - playing someone else's rig

So I got called to do one of those "play the score live to the film" gigs that seem to be increasingly popular these days. After some back and forth I was put in touch with the programmer/MD of the show. He will be bringing everything - laptop, interface, pedals, cables - except the controllers and the monitors/amp. I wrote to him and told him my rig (Nord Electro 5D, Novation LaunchKey 61, Mainstage 3 with Komplete, V-Collection and other odds & sods). Waiting to hear what he says, but I'm assuming everything is programmed for an 88 key controller (which I no longer own).

I'm tempted to clone his MainStage file and put it on my setup. I've never played anyone else's programming before â the handful of pit gigs I've done were either piano only or I programmed everything on my own rig. Any potential pitfalls to watch out for? We have a big rehearsal the day before the show and then dress the day of the show.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an interesting gig.

One pitfall of cloning his MainStage file will be if he has programmed sounds using plug-ins you don't have. Ahead of time it would be worth knowing how he has build his MainStage file, what he typically programmes each pedal to do and what plug-ins he has used. Also the keybed size as you say

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Wow, that seems like a short time for dealing with so much music computer tech that someone else has setup. Like SteveUK said, it'd be good to know AMAP before that first rehearsal.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

"These days," heh... live theater organists were the proverbial sh*t when silent films ruled, so its interesting to see it reappear in this form. I'd need more information. It might be so simple that the Nord could handle it all, if it was mainly a piano/organ setting. If its more of a Wakeman-rig-sized gig, having to orchestrate that much as real-time improv, that soon, sounds like borderline madness. Is it an experimental thing for a festival, for instance, or is it more tightly structured?

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

"These days," heh... live theater organists were the proverbial sh*t when silent films ruled, so its interesting to see it reappear in this form. I'd need more information. It might be so simple that the Nord could handle it all, if it was mainly a piano/organ setting. If its more of a Wakeman-rig-sized gig, having to orchestrate that much as real-time improv, that soon, sounds like borderline madness. Is it an experimental thing for a festival, for instance, or is it more tightly structured?

No it"s a very different can of worms - we"re replaying a modern Bond soundtrack along with the film, and apparently we"re the first kick at the can of the touring show. Apparently the synth book is pretty involved. Looking forward to the challenge but I want to cover as many contingencies as possible. My primary concern is that I"ve never been in a situation playing someone else"s programming.

Dave Weiser, any ideas, pit Yoda?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I'm thinking he might not be too keen on you cloning his Mainstage setup if that's literally something he's poured many hours into.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If David R has the chops to even consider this gig with so little prep time, he's a higher form of musical life to begin with. While it IS expected that you be able to adapt quickly and wear several hats on demand, your capacities should also not be pressed to the wall too casually. Of course, "should" and what the client may want aren't always in sync, but if he can pull this one off at such a fast pace, he gets to join the Third Testicle club. :rawk::thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I'm part of the Third Testicle Club on bass (as yesterday proved once again; sans band rehearsal of course, and only knowing one of the musicians!), but not on keyboards -- that's a testicle too far! :-)

I have been struggling to think of some advice for David R. on this matter, and have another David's experiences (he's well-known but not on this forum) to pull from, but have so far unable to pull useful stuff from memory regarding similar situations and how they were handled. At the moment, I can only offer my moral support, and to be hopeful of a successful gig.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

David,

I can be obtuse, but if you were playing on Broadway or a touring show I think you would be playing on somebody else"s rig. Using a well tested setup.

Why not concentrate on what you need to accomplish the gig:

- What gear you need to bring: keys, stand, seat, music stand?, light? Powered speaker, extension chords, (what type of cable from computer to speaker? Do you need a small mixer to boost the signal?), speaker stand?

- MIDI channel out from your board? USB?

- Will the MD"s expression pedal work with your board?

- How will you change patches? Forward and back, random? How many patches are there: 5 vs. 80?

- What are you expected to do WRT to the laptop? Will you be looking at the screen to see a patch list or your current patch? Will you have to touch the laptop during the show?

- How will you set volume for each patch? Preset? With expression pedal?

- Will you be playing any splits? And how will you know where the split point is?

- Does the MD have any rules to follow while he conducts? Especially supporting a film.

- Schedules, load-in instructions, parking, dress code, nearest bar?

- How will the orchestra set up, and will you be able to see and hear what you need?

- Now open the synth book and see what you have to play.

I think that any of us would find all that more than plenty to occupy all available brain cells! And more!

Best of luck.

David,

I can be obtuse, but if you were playing on Broadway or a touring show I think you would be playing on somebody else"s rig. Using a well tested setup.

Why not concentrate on what you need to accomplish the gig:

- What gear you need to bring: keys, stand, seat, music stand?, light? Powered speaker, extension chords, (what type of cable from computer to speaker? Do you need a small mixer to boost the signal?), speaker stand?

- MIDI channel out from your board? USB?

- Will the MD"s expression pedal work with your board?

- How will you change patches? Forward and back, random? How many patches are there: 5 vs. 80?

- What are you expected to do WRT to the laptop? Will you be looking at the screen to see a patch list or your current patch? Will you have to touch the laptop during the show?

- How will you set volume for each patch? Preset? With expression pedal?

- Will you be playing any splits? And how will you know where the split point is?

- Does the MD have any rules to follow while he conducts? Especially supporting a film.

- Schedules, load-in instructions, parking, dress code, nearest bar?

- How will the orchestra set up, and will you be able to see and hear what you need?

- Now open the synth book and see what you have to play.

I think that any of us would find all that more than plenty to occupy all available brain cells! And more!

Best of luck.

These are the majority of the questions I have been pondering. Your questions 4-7 is why I am more tempted to use my own rig. I am going on the assumption that, like any normal musical theatre book, the program changes and split points are notated in the part. I did not realize that this show has actually been running for a while (from the dates I saw, the Montreal show was the first one but it's merely the first of this run). I spoke with the musical director and he has no problem with me having a copy of his MainStage file on my system, and his system will be fully functional as a backup. Once I actually see the book I will have a better idea of what's going on.

I don't think I'll be a member of the third testicle club... my sight reading is pretty decent but not at orchestral level, and thankfully there are more advance resources than previously anticipated to get me in the zone for the gig.

My Site