Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rise Of Skywalker

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Longtime huge fan. Hated VIII because of the writing but like IX.

Tons of people are hating on IX because a social media mob mentality made it fashionable in the Star Wars community to hate anything connected to Disney. Fans have gone nuts.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Tons of people are hating on IX because a social media mob mentality made it fashionable in the Star Wars community to hate anything connected to Disney.

Really? Seems kinda silly to me... :idk:

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a SW film as much. The ultimate compliment I can pay a film is to say I'd see it again...in the theatre, mind you.

Did I mention that it looks simply spectacular?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Tons of people are hating on IX because a social media mob mentality made it fashionable in the Star Wars community to hate anything connected to Disney.

Really? Seems kinda silly to me... :idk:

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a SW film as much. The ultimate compliment I can pay a film is to say I'd see it again...in the theatre, mind you.

Did I mention that it looks simply spectacular?

dB

Yep. It"s nuts. A bunch of YouTube channel have dedicated themselves to hating on this movie since it went into production. 'The Fandom Menace"

Haven't seen it yet and am greatly looking forward to it. I checked out the Rotten Tomatoes rating. My thoughts:

Rise of Skywalker: Critics 59% vs Audience 89%

vs

The Last Jedi: Critics 91% vs Audience 56%

I always find that my enjoyment correlates with the audience rating, not the critics rating. Therefore I'm sure Ep 9 will be awesome.

Also: I have been rewatching Ep 7 and 8 this week after watching 4,5,6 last week. I find myself enjoying the sequels much more than I have before, even the controversial Ep 8 which I wasn't a big fan of at first. There's more visual and story continuity between them all than I realized before, as they took great pains in Ep 7 and 8 to not overdo CGI and retain visual feel from the original trilogy.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I never listen to critics. I can make up my own mind. I grew up before the internet. I don't need social media 'influencers' to tell me what to think.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Dave! I plan on taking my grand kids this weekend.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

George Lucas is routinely ridiculed for the prequels, but I never really got why. I mean, the Phantom Menace was disappointing, but Attack Of The Clones was fun and to me Revenge Of The Sith is one of the best in the entire series.

One thing I do hate is that he replaced original mask-less Darth Vader with Anakin in the final scene of Return Of The Jedi (where Luke sees Yoda, Obi Wan and his dad). That just doesn"t feel right. Especially after you have just come to sympathize with dying Vader in the previous scene.

Attack Of The Clones was fun and to me Revenge Of The Sith is one of the best in the entire series.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you had Hayden Christensen not been cast. The brother didn't really work for me - looked the part...but not the world's greatest actor. :facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Haha, I even liked (well on the premise they set the stage for a lot that followed) 1,2 and 3 - even JaJa wasn't too bad hahaha! - it's (Rise) just been releases here so seeing it early next week!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

We've got tickets to see it Sunday morning.

I'll be honest, my expectations are fairly low. The author in me is rankled that there's no clear story arc like there was in the Marvel universe, for instance. I cared about those folks. I haven't got a clue who Rey is or why I should really care about her, other than the fact that she's been anointed the Last One Standing. Well, that's nice, but I still don't see that there's a clear plot surrounding her. She's an orphan...maybe. The Force is strong in her. She's conflicted, wanting to know her place in the whole thing. Well, sweetheart, I want to know how you fit in too, because the last two movies were just...I dunno...they were just kinda there, you know? They were standard issue SF extravaganzas, not friggin' STAR WARS movies, which are--or should be, to my way of thinking--a cut above. I remember seeing the first one (aka IV, aka New Hope) back in the day. Man, I was supercharged for weeks. Practically levitating. That movie stuck to me like glue. Nowadays I walk out of a new Star Wars, yawn, and say, "That was nice. Now...didn't we need to stop at the store for a gallon of milk?" If someone had tried to talk to me about something mundane like milk after seeing The Empire Strikes Back, I think I would have beaned them. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, 'MILK?' Remember when Yoda said, 'There is another.' Who do you think it is? What's going to happen to Luke? What about when they..." On and on and on. The last two had no such effect on me. Don't get me wrong, I really, really hope that this one gives me a proper Star Wars fix, but I'm just not hopeful.

You know what I am excited about? I wanna hear what John Williams has cooked up, musically. That man terrifies and amazes me. It's an honor to share the planet with someone who's that talented. If I had 1/100th of his ability, I'd...I'd...well, I dunno what I'd do, but it'd be amazing.

Grey

P.S.: I never disliked Jar-Jar the way some people do. I don't get why he stirs such strong revulsion in some people. I see him as comic relief, which is a structural component that I can understand--I use it in my Victor & Martin stories, for instance. What didn't work for me was seeing him in robes as a politician. Lucas should have kept him the way he was, rather than try to rehabilitate him and make him serious. It didn't work, at least not for me.

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

People may have loved Jar Jar had they revealed him as the evil genius Sith Master/ Anti Yoda before for the end of Phantom Menace. But trying to save the reveal for later and drawing so much fan hate George dropped that idea. But then again they would have been locked in.

George Lucas is routinely ridiculed for the prequels, but I never really got why. I mean, the Phantom Menace was disappointing, but Attack Of The Clones was fun and to me Revenge Of The Sith is one of the best in the entire series.

There was also a highly political subtext in the first three that most people missed.

Bring me up to speed. Which ones are Daleks and which ones are the Klingons? I'll have to see it eventually, as the culmination of the religious commitment I made after seeing "The Empire Strikes Back" years and years ago. The great craft in the design, costuming and CGI have always been first-rate, but I go equally as much for the music in 5:1 sound. I once had a great affair with a pair of Altec-Lansing A-5 "Voice of the Theater" speakers that turned me into a Manâ¢. :rawk:

Its humbling to hear that wonderful madness unfold now, especially when I largely understand the skills required to make it happen. I'm eternally impressed.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

There was also a highly political subtext in the first three that most people missed.

Yes, one of the greatest movie quotes of all time: 'so this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause'

Time from end of opening crawl to beginning of credits is under two hours and fifteen minutes. I was settling in for an Avengers style extravaganza, but it's not that at all. JJ Abrams was reportedly working on this right up until the last minute, and he must have cut a few things out.

I was hoping Rise of Skywalker would pick up on Rian Johnson's more nuanced approach to the Star Wars Universe in Last Jedi, but that's all gone - much to my disappointment. We're right back to 40 years ago, and honestly the movie looks 40 years old. It was shot on film, and there's visible grain in some scenes (not cleaned up in post). That's not a bad thing I guess, but the contrast to Jumanji (which I'd seen just a few days earlier in the same large screen theater) was striking. The sound system in this theater (which can blow you out of your seats) was quite muted - vintage actually.

I saw Endgame several times earlier this year, but this is not a movie I plan to see again in the theater. I'd give it an OK, but not the rousing sendoff I was hoping for.

I just saw it and for a SW movie thought it was just okay especially for the conclusion of a nine movie series. For me nothing compares to the first three movies for story, new technology, score, everything setting the bar high which the industry strives for. The last three movies to me are just industry standard for today not bleeding edge. But that's just me I'm not one of those hardcore SW fans to knows every detail of the history of the galaxy. Still one of my favorite memories was going to the first SW when it came out with a group of friends. My buddy and I used the restroom so came right when the slanted text was scrolling so we wait in the paused, when the that first starship starts coming like it flying over your head I was blown away and knew this was going to be something special.

I went to the opening midnight screening here and enjoyed it a lot but found it a bit over the top with trying to wrap things up in the most sentimental way possible. I actually really liked The Last Jedi, and didn't enjoy this any more than that. Looking forward to chatting more on it when most have seen it :)

Just watched the movie in 3D and Dolby (AMC Dolby Prime) with vibrating seats and all bells and whistles and it was AWESOME. And I'm not the biggest fan of the franchise, I even had to review the family tree before the movie to remember who was the great-uncle-grandpa-cousin of whom, but great movie to go to the theater.

Fran

Just came back from it. Really enjoyed it, I would agree with Dave that it is the best of the last trilogy, and in my opinion it beats the crap out of anything in the prequels. The only Star Wars movie in recent memory that I liked more was Rogue One. they actually made the most of shooting it on film, and the sound system doesn"t tear your head off. As a result, I think it"s a much less hysterical ending to the series than a lot of folks were expecting.

Spoiler: Snape kills Dumbledore.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

J. J. Abrams. 'Nuff said.

Haven"t seen it yet, but planning on it some time next week. I really didn"t like VIII, but I understand IX pretty much makes up for it and then some. I saw the very first SW at least 30 times, and I still watch them all whenever they"re on tv. So I"m looking forward to a solid and fun wrap-up to the whole saga.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Yes, one of the greatest movie quotes of all time: 'so this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause'
No, the greatest movie quote is 'Leave the gun...take the Cannoli!'

Sorry, but it"s 'Dos hombres??'

Followed closely by 'Anybody got a dime? Somebody go back and get a shitload o" dimes!'

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.