Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend '70s

Viscount was already teasing a new instrument on Facebook, but now posted a more detailed picture. It's called the Legend '70s. Hope for a Rhodes clone!

(P.S. can't link to the picture, Facebook et Al)

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have Facebook, but would be happy if it were a 70's era tonewheel from the final days of the original Hammond organ co. They currently give me the choices of a '56 and '59 B3, '62 and '66 C3, '36 BC, and some 60's era A100s.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Wow, I didn't know they're still in business! They've had some innovative products over the years.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow, I didn't know they're still in business! They've had some innovative products over the years.

Yes, they are, primarily in classic organs and Hammond clones.

I agree that the pic looked like an EP focussed board. Would be cool to see and hear the final product. Could be a Crunar Seven or Korg SV-1 competitor.

Viscount in Italy has a relationship with the developers of acoustic modeling software that is the basis of the Physis Piano.

Pianoteq, Lounge Lizard, GSI and others have shown you can successfully model the electro mechanical instruments as well. Maybe this is growth from the Physis people dabbling in EPs?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It looks like they are putting this head-to-head against the Crumar Seven.

I'm a Viscount owner of the Legend Live and am personally glad I picked it over the Crumar Mojo dual manual. It was the right choice for me and the subsequent releases have improved the instrument or given me more choices of Hammond tonewheel models and eras. I wish I played it more and gigged with it more, actually.

Interesting to see what they come out with. The aesthetics of a Rhodes and a TP/100 keybed don't necessitate that this is something I am going to buy but it's nice to follow this as a boutique category.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Taken from FB site Looks interesting , seems more complex and more features than its competitors , being the crumar seven and korg sv1 ( of which I have both ) Im guessing a NAMM release , Im sure we'll find out more soon.

80450385-2764990090223846-6799524607909953536-o.jpg

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I sold my Crumar Seven for 2 reasons. One was to make room, physically, for the Vintage Vibe. The other was that after much going back and forth I decided I actually preferred playing EPs on the excellent unweighted Mojo 61 keyboard as opposed to the Seven's TP100 keys. A rare case of a really good unweighted action being better (subjectively) than a weighted action, for a specific purpose.

The Seven's sampled APs are much better than the Mojo's APs, but for my gigging purposes that isn't very relevant.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Here"s the contrary view of the TP-100. The combination of the Crumar physical modeling and the TP-100 (which I thought I"d hate) make the Crumar Seven the most realistic fake Rhodes I"ve ever played. I seriously get fooled by it. I ran it through a Fender Deluxe a couple weeks ago and couldn"t believe how realistic it sounded and felt.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Here"s the contrary view of the TP-100. The combination of the Crumar physical modeling and the TP-100 (which I thought I"d hate) make the Crumar Seven the most realistic fake Rhodes I"ve ever played. I seriously get fooled by it. I ran it through a Fender Deluxe a couple weeks ago and couldn"t believe how realistic it sounded and felt.

I agree. For whatever reason, the TP-100 in the Crumar Seven case (for good or bad) feels similar to playing some version of a Fender Rhodes, minus the weight mass of the instrument as a whole of course. The downside is it doesn"t speak well with the acoustic piano sounds onboard and although you can adjust velocity behavior in the modeled acoustic piano (at least the manual says you can) I was unable to find a way to edit the velocity curve for the sampled acoustic pianos which sound better. Are you aware of velocity curve editing or choices in the firmware, Mitch?

" .. although you can adjust velocity behavior in the modeled acoustic piano .... I was unable to find a way to edit the velocity curve for the sampled acoustic pianos which sound better....

Not to steal this thread, but I wish someone would do a quick comparison video (or audio) of the sampled vs. modeled piano. I would have thought that the modeled piano would sound better than the sampled one.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

" .. although you can adjust velocity behavior in the modeled acoustic piano .... I was unable to find a way to edit the velocity curve for the sampled acoustic pianos which sound better....

Not to steal this thread, but I wish someone would do a quick comparison video (or audio) of the sampled vs. modeled piano. I would have thought that the modeled piano would sound better than the sampled one.

I can"t think of a software or hardware instrument available today where the modeled acoustic piano is more convincing in timbre than a good sample library. Pianoteq and Roland"s V-Piano tech are furthest along - and some of the models are pretty good. Crumar"s Seven acoustic piano modeling is very thin sounding comparatively. But multigigabyte sample libraries that offer full length samples of real instruments at several velocity layers with different mic perspectives - that"s a tall order for modeling.

Electric Pianos is a different story - but for comparison try Canterbury Suitcase from Sonic Couture vs. Lounge Lizard EP-4 from AAS.

Back on topic... a shot from the other side shows a flat top.

402.thumb.jpg.6a0e8f24cd822cd940ee7bcb4be5597d.jpg

Based on that video snippet:

Sound is very good. Lot's of detail, grit, and dynamics. Seems to put it in same league as Crumar Seven. Might end up paralleling the Mojo/Legend comparison, where reasonable minds can differ on which is best.

Front panel looks stacked with controls. this seems to also parallel the Mojo v. Legend distinction, where Viscount offers the advantage of a more complete hardware interface.

Flat top = awesome!

88 keys . . . well, for me, that's just sad. I never want to gig with 88 keys again. Seems a bit silly for an ep-centered keyboard. But from a marketing perspective, I guess they have to consider that there's just as many, if not more, people who will not work with less than 88 keys. It also suggests that the acoustic piano emulation is strong.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

88 keys . . . well, for me, that's just sad. I never want to gig with 88 keys again. Seems a bit silly for an ep-centered keyboard. But from a marketing perspective, I guess they have to consider that there's just as many, if not more, people who will not work with less than 88 keys. It also suggests that the acoustic piano emulation is strong.

The earlier pic they posted showed both an 88 and a 7x key version. Interestingly, the 88 had not only more keys, but more controls occupying the extra width of panel space that came along with the extra keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It has both 73 and 88 keys versions

Interestingly, the 88 had not only more keys, but more controls occupying the extra width of panel space that came along with the extra keys.

From what little can be seen in the teaser pic, the rightmost part of the panel seems to be duplicated in the 88.

Like the 73 had one set of controls, and the 88 two sets of the same. Maybe a two "slot" structure like the Nord Stage?

I'd really like to pair this with my Legend on top. My wife would probably kill me if I'd suggest it ð

I'm still pretty wowed every time I hear a moddeled instrument. I find it fascinating technology has come this far.

It"s not unheard of for a MkI to be offered in an 88k - it"s actually historically accurate as far as Rhodes are concerned. ;) But we don"t know much - yet. Maybe there"s other key length offerings ready to go.

For me though, in digital times, it"s tough to plunk down several thousand dollars on a digital facsimile that"s a one trick pony. No matter how cool the vibe. I"d expect this thing to do a respectable acoustic piano, a bass split, and to layer strings to be viable. Otherwise I"d get a CP88 for gigs and/or a Vintage Vibe Electric Piano for home and occasional outings.

I"d get a CP88 for gigs and/or a Vintage Vibe Electric Piano.

Ehm, aren't those Vintage Vibe instrument insanely expensive v.s. those digital fascimilies you talk about? No offense meant, just wondering what the reason would be for this.