Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your pet peeves in Christmas carols?

My parents were really into celebrating Christmas for as long as I can remember, so the love for Christmas carols is carved in me for EVER...but for some reasons I just can not take this 'Wonderful Christmastime' song. Especially that part that goes, 'Simply have a wonderful Christmas time'! I don't know why, but I find that part/melody excruciating. Yes, I know who wrote the song.

What about your pet peeves ...?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope this doesn't violate the rules and regs for the forum; due to the centrality of my religious beliefs, I get annoyed when a store, or radio station, or school blabs about Christmas ad nauseum while going to great lengths to avoid _any_ acknowledgment of its association with Christianity. I like Santa, elves, reindeer-flattened grandmas, and snow as much as the next guy, but c'mon, 'fess up to the history.

If the above is off-limits, then Moderators please delete it with my apologies.

I'm also annoyed by a couple of "religious" Christmas songs: In the Bleak Midwinter and The First Noel, as they push the winter angle for an event whose actual date (or season) is not known.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

"...give me some figgy pudding and bring it right here".

If this lyric had been written during the last 10 years, its greed and and its self-centered focus would be cited as evidence for a decline of society.

But the song it comes from is decades old.

I cringe when I hear it.

Well, I hope this doesn't violate the rules and regs for the forum; due to the centrality of my religious beliefs, I get annoyed when a store, or radio station, or school blabs about Christmas ad nauseum while going to great lengths to avoid _any_ acknowledgment of its association with Christianity. I like Santa, elves, reindeer-flattened grandmas, and snow as much as the next guy, but c'mon, 'fess up to the history.

If the above is off-limits, then Moderators please delete it with my apologies.

I'm also annoyed by a couple of "religious" Christmas songs: In the Bleak Midwinter and The First Noel, as they push the winter angle for an event whose actual date (or season) is not known.

This year, for the first time I was noticing much the same, song after song that is very much about christian worshipping. But then I did a wider survey and found many songs that were about the season, snow, holiday cheer and reindeer!

I find Santa Claus is coming to Town a scary song- "He knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!" Gives me the creeps.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Well those of us in the southern hemisphere have grappled with the concept of a winter Xmas in the middle summer since Christianity arrived in this part of the world. One man's turkey is another man's prawns.

I figure that any festival that celebrates peace and goodwill to everyone is a good thing , on the 25th of December or any other time. Whatever the lyrics I am cool with l

them, even when they happen to be about snow and it is 40+ degrees in the shade.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Bad things should happen to anyone who sings the passing note in the 'born the King of Angels' line of O Come, All Ye Faithful.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I find Santa Claus is coming to Town a scary song- "He knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!" Gives me the creeps.

A friend told us that when she was explaining Santa Claus to her very young daughter, the little girl said, "you mean he lands on our roof and comes into our house in the middle of the night, and you're okay with that?" "And why does he come in through the chimney instead of the door?" And why do we all have to be asleep?" ....

I agree with the OP about "Wonderful Christmastime" But I know EXACTLY what I hate (sorry, I don;t like using that word - Seriously Dislike with Extreme Prejudice) about that song.

The cheesy synth line with the excruciatingly poorly timed echo.

Makes my teeth hurt.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

+1

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My current holiday peeve is the Cadillac Escalade (IIRC) TV ad that plays over a melody-modified Jingle Bells. Anyone heard this? It is physically painful to my ear to hear them intentionally miss those familiar intervals. It sounds like a deaf person hammering out the rhythm on a child's xylophone with only approximate consideration of the actual melody. I'm wondering if they're trying to skirt royalty payments to whoever owns the publishing rights to the original.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've heard the same thing on several occasions. Where the line should go (in C) G G F D C, and instead goes G G E D C

That's an affront to the ears

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I listen to this playlist every Christmas. Possibly the world's only jazz-fusion Christmas album followed by a hilarious encore by Joe Pesci. I recommend it to y'all.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I always found the Barbra Streisand Christmas Album and the Neil Diamond Christmas Albums especially..um.. ironic?

Hey, I guess everyone's gotta' make a buck.

But, personally, it has to be playing "Sleigh Ride" for non-singers at a party or whatnot. If you don't lead them by the nose into the bridge, musically it's all over.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

A "Holly Jolly Christmas"? *pukes*

There is ONLY ONE version of Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree and it is sung by Brenda Lee.

All other versions are lame and useless.

Mostly, I ignore the whole she-bang and observe the Solstice, which is the celebration day that the Romans chose to replace with Christmas. As mentioned above, the actual date is unknown. But, Solstice is known and days startt getting longer. Up here, that is meaningful.

A bit of Bob Rivers never hurts.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My first thought was that this does not violate forum rules. Then I started to write a reply to it and realized that there's just no way to talk about this stuff without spiraling into the gravitational force of a religious discussion. Those discussions are important, but they shouldn't happen here.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas,

Spent on the white sands of Waikiki,

Where the ocean's roaring, and no one's snoring,

with a Blue Hawaii instead of a tree.

Courtesy of the one year that my wife and I went to Hawaii in December, and flew back at 9pm (Hawaii time) on Christmas Day.

That is how we spent the morning.

MUCH better than that cold white stuff!!!!!!

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

It's thought to be more like springtime since the shepherds would be in the fields during lambing season. There are 2 different melodies to Bleak Midwinter (and to other Christmas carols). The Jacob Collier version is a particularly good version.

Also it's veered a bit off topic since the header says Christmas carols which, to me anyway, would be the religious songs as opposed to Christmas music which would entail all the rest.

Also it's veered a bit off topic since the header says Christmas carols which, to me anyway, would be the religious songs as opposed to Christmas music which would entail all the rest.

Right. I should've said Christmas songs in general. Carols normally mean 'sacred' songs.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews