Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

History of Sampling

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sampling era started at Emulator 2 and ran thru Synclavier. I haven't sampled anything by myself in 20 years. I used to have a mean lead chainsaw patch that started as a Husqvarna and a mic outside the back of the music store. ;)

Was that after they sold you a Roland KC amp?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's amazing how some folks find their niche as it relates to art, instruments and technology.

My first sampler was an Ensoniq Mirage. I've had other samplers over the years.

While I'm a musician first and foremost, there's a part of me that likes to mangle and manipulate audio too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My first sampler was an Ensoniq Mirage. I've had other samplers over the years.
Ditto. It's funny how much I did with a Mirage and its two-hex-digit display. That was followed by a couple of EPS-13-minus (downhill after that), one Alesis Fusion, and a couple of Kurzweil K2xx's.

I still think samplers are cool, and am saving my pennies for a PC4. Currently I am just using ROMplers, and I want one more chance to set up a Marie Laveau scream for use in live performance.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

A lack of sampling was something that always made it very difficult to get certain sounds - specifically sound effects and things at were obviously sampled and manipulated. I finally got an Akai S3000XL but I never gigged with it. That and a sequencing software were the heard of my "studio" rig for quite a while. Then I got the Alesis Fusion which brought sampling to my live rig, which has now continued with my Kronos.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I had great fun with my two Mirages (one a rack version), but only as support for my synths. (Those grainy pianos, organs and synths made everything Bigger.) Sampling back then was a nightmare, to be generous. There was (IIRC) an Apple-based editor a friend had, but it was first-gen and beyond maddening. It was further complicated by the fact that I didn't know jack over sh*t about what I was doing. Sampling ultimately came down to Autosampling all of my hardware and going Hail Maria with Logic Pro. None of it is lost on me, though. I went through a few years of creative cassette collage abuse, which is part of why I can enjoy Logic as a giant multi-track tape deck that doesn't take a huge dump on me with tape snarls or heads black with oxide I neglected to clean off for a week. :rolleyes::P

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"