Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mic Stands - expanding foam?
#3019999 12/18/19 05:46 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Anybody ever fill the tubes in their mic stands with expanding foam?

Seems like it could easily dampen resonances and the ability to transfer said resonances.
Cheap and easy, not visible and should not affect use.

Yes, you would want to leave the outside tube that is connected to the base hollow. That said, you could fill the extension tube and the boom tube.

I think I'll try it on a cheapie and report back. If there are other useful techniques for improving audio quality through resonance suppression, I am all ears...

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Dr. Mike Island
Re: Mic Stands - expanding foam?
KuruPrionz #3020015 12/18/19 09:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
As porous as that foam is when it hardens, I don't think you'd get a lot of damping. If you can still buy automobile undercoating in a spray can, you might try spraying that on the inside. Part of its job (on the car) is to damp metal resonance. I've heard of people filling the stand tube with lead shot, too, but it has to be a sturdy stand to stand up to getting shot. wink

Re: Mic Stands - expanding foam?
Mike Rivers #3020029 12/18/19 11:01 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
As porous as that foam is when it hardens, I don't think you'd get a lot of damping. If you can still buy automobile undercoating in a spray can, you might try spraying that on the inside. Part of its job (on the car) is to damp metal resonance. I've heard of people filling the stand tube with lead shot, too, but it has to be a sturdy stand to stand up to getting shot. wink

Thanks Mike, I will reconsider my approach. My best stands are Koenig and Meyer, they've served me well but I don't ask much of them. Lead is probably more than they are built to take.

Maybe I can use a dowel to shove chunks of high density foam in there. I've got some of that laying around. The undercoating sounds interesting too.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay 

Link Copied to Clipboard