Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD2000 Dynamic Response

RD57

I want to get this keyboard but a couple of comments on pianoworld forum have scared me a bit. The 2000 is the first of the RD series that caught my attention.I tried the 600 but hated it live, like the sound was stuck in the box. It sounded too compressed compared to the original 500. I returned it after trying it live.The 700 and 800 seemed similar. Playing the 2000 in the store seems great but how does it respond live with a band. The one comment on the forum was that live wise it didn't have good dynamic response and turning it up didn't fix that but only made it too loud but the sound still sounded like it was stuck in the box. For anyone using it live is this the case?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some questions:

1) What digital piano do you think has the best dynamic response and the best sound?

2) Have you tried adjusting the piano's touch response setting? Different velocity curves will give you different response to dynamic playing.

3) What are you using to hear your digital keyboard? Different monitors (headphones vs. passive vs. powered speakers; etc.) will greatly influence the sound of your keyboard.

I have to say: the Roland RD-500 is now about 20 years old and modern digital keyboards sound very different today. That said, I use an RD70nx (now superseded by 2 subsequent generations of Roland digital pianos), and I have no trouble playing the whole range of piano dynamics from pp, thru mf to ff.

For myself, I too struggle to be both dynamic and loud enough for ensemble play. The musical abilities of your band-mates is important. I found I had to change the way I play with most drummers: playing long held notes only makes others play louder and muddies the sound. I turn my keyboard volume up, never play legato or held notes, and use my fingers and note choices to control note volume.

Pretty much everyone here says it is helpful to try a variety of pianos as you consider buying one. The extra time is worth it in my opinion.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I've had this same problem with every digital I've ever played or owned. A real grand in a room has a very large dynamic range from ppp to FFF - you can dominate from a whisper to a scream until somebody brings in an amp and turns up.

The only thing that has every helped me is now using the PX S3000 with the triple pedal. I use the soft pedal to comp, and full volume to solo or stand out. Have not found another solution that works as well.

All to say, I'm not sure if it's a problem unique to a particular set of digital pianos, or just the nature of the shortcomings of digitals in general relative to the real deal.

Tim