Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Digi Ana Poly Synth

Sonic Lab is looking at the UDO Super 6, a 12 voice hybrid synth. Oscillators are FPGA and liquid clean into the stratosphere. The filter has personality. It sounds like a Dave Rossum design. So many great synth options these days ...

[video:youtube]

So it's 12-note poly in "single" mode and 6 in binaural mode, right?

The stereo phase oscillators are a great idea and sound huge... even though the delay and chorus effects seem to be active most of the time in the video.

I would love to hear a demo *without* this guy. He's so enthusiastic of his creation, but I would like to hear someone explain the architecture in more objective/technical terms.

That said, a very welcome addition to the army of interesting modern synthesizers. We are living a golden age of electronic instruments.

Good demo. The breadth of the sound is quite nice. It sort of says "Instant Prog" to me. I first thought "This would be a for-sure synth for Moraz or Jarre. Its sits in their sorts of pockets a lot." Its clearly not a classic 'sound designer's' synth, but what it seems to do best so far is come across like a robustly enhanced Juno-106. Its just IMO, but where a Virus or Prologue are all-around synths (so to speak), this one feels well-focused. I'm curious to see how people apply it once it gets adopted into a few rigs.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Thanks for the comments here. Had to laugh at the Jupiter crossed with a DW 8000 description. So spot on! That performance controller area is so very Roland, right? (Not to mention the sliders lol). Talk about homage.

I guess sonically it does have that quality of potentially bright digital waves combined with a low pass filter to Mark's point. I would love to see a proper (no talking, just sounds) demo, also Carlo. The developer seems to have his own favorite little tricks ... and spends quite a lot of time on them, perhaps at the expense of covering all the sound design opportunities. There are times even the ever patient Nick is ready to move on, lol.

The stereo capability seems really powerful, particularly for commanding a live stage. To me this (and the Waldorf Kyra) prove that FPGA oscillators have come of age. Here is a demo of that synth by a master demonstrator ....

[video:youtube]

Judging from the way the demo is played for the UDO-6, it is made for a particular style of real-time playing/manipulation. He gets some very musical shifts and variations very quickly. But it also all comes from a "held long set of notes with manipulation" style of playing. It doesn't make me want to switch from the Osmose to this. I think I would rather have more of the sound character shifting as a result of the keyboard playing surface than the knob surface.

I haven't thought a lot about it, but for real-time play from the keyboard, having a very powerful destination-based modulation scheme like the Solaris, the C15, or the Osmose/Eagen Matrix is the enabling feature. This style of modulation enables subtle and beautiful variation from the keys and simple mod-wheel/ribbon/pedal type controls. These are controls that work well on lots of keyboard duties, even ones that are have a lot of notes (like a lot of keyboard music).

But for players who are adjusting arpeggiators, sequences, or doing long-textural work, a synth like this has a near perfect control scheme. Everything is right at hand to adjust the synth parameters natively, and simultaneously. This would also be great for putting the notes into a DAW and then "performing" the knobs to get a very expressive part recorded as audio.

If, however, the goal is very expressive keyboard playing, then having macro controls (or a SuperKnob) and/or a destination-style modulation setup means that a relative fewer number of controller inputs can be set up to interact in interesting ways with many backend parameters, and the playing then only needs to manipulate a small number of controllers to get at full expression.

So for me, I look at this and think that it is for a different type of player, or a different workflow than what I'm chasing right now. But very nice sounds, and love his enthusiasm for the instrument. It is clearly well made and very well thought out.

The emphasis was on how it works rather than how does it sound. I suppose that's what happens when you allow the designer to talk about his invention rather than play it.

I didn't hear enough of it to justify $2500, but then anything over $199 is out of fat old Mike's price range.

Christmas is right around the corner. Be in good cheer!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 5 months later...

Aside from the developer's demo, and the things he loves about his creation - as with all synths, being embraced by sound designers is the key. It sounds amazing on the ambient moving patches, but I am certain with a bit of study and a lot of creativity it can sound like anything you'd like and then some.

But, shoot, if there was any doubt that we are in an era of synth development again - who the heck doesn't have a new synth out right now.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 years later...

It isn't fair to say "well, tell us about your synthesizer design and get sound from a YT video, even though with proper monitooring and decent DAC and set to HD1080 or higher, it can sound passable.

I found this synth only recently on the web, and I, too, wonder what the actual tech is, maybe a case designer turning synth maker doesn't want to talk about the technology, or hopes the sound itself is enough. I don't think the video and my YT sound inverting experience tells me it is a sound getting where the claim suggests, that is including that I know a digital signal path has hard time to represent even slight binoral stereo signal, takes a lot of signal preparations to get going, which this machine clearly doesn't do.

T.