Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help remembering an old 80's synth

I was thinking about my first keyboards when I started playing in 1984. I had just subscribed to Keyboard magazine back then and was drooling over all the toys I couldn't afford, especially the Synclavier and Fairlight.

But I'm specifically trying to recall a keyboard that was released in the mid to late 80's (not made by the big three btw).... it was dark gray plastic, with a small rectangular display, 61 keys, with square buttons on the front panel. Also kind of boxy looking with no knobs and very few sliders IIRC.

Any help is appreciated.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about my first keyboards when I started playing in 1984. I had just subscribed to Keyboard magazine back then and was drooling over all the toys I couldn't afford, especially the Synclavier and Fairlight.

But I'm specifically trying to recall a keyboard that was released in the mid to late 80's (not made by the big three btw).... it was dark gray plastic, with a small rectangular display, 61 keys, with square buttons on the front panel. Also kind of boxy looking with no knobs and very few sliders IIRC.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds a lot like one of Casio's CZ series? The CZ-1000 or maybe the CZ-1?

Casio CZ-1000 VIntage Synth Explorer

Casio CZ-1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

.... it was dark gray plastic, with a small rectangular display, 61 keys, with square buttons on the front panel. Also kind of boxy looking with no knobs and very few sliders IIRC.

It is a bit saddening to think just how many synthesizers of that era fit that description...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

This is true.

At least the CZ series didn't have those awful membrane buttons. :(

Agreed, ugh, although they were certainly seductive while they lasted. I sometimes felt like a junior Fred Frith or Partch, configuring things perilously just to see what came out. Few people here are complete strangers to trying to figure out which box of five in a hardware chain has gone on the fritz. (I learned to start with the noise gate on the end. It was under the most stress! :eek:) Disturbingly, my brain has been overheating lately and warping the mylar overlays on the part that remembers names on the fly. There's no time to google some things. :rolleyes::rimshot:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"