Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Larry Goldings playing the Hammond preset keys?

Would someone please educate me as to what Larry Goldings is doing, visible around the 0:19 mark of the video? It appears he is making just small changes to a sustained chord in his right hand, and then rapidly "playing" the preset keys with his left hand to change the sound of the sustained right-hand chord. This technique is unfamiliar to me (and very cool). Are there other good examples of this I should check out?

[video:youtube]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's exactly what he is doing. I have used this technique myself. Since the preset keys on a console are latched, one must keep the cancel key (bottom C) depressed, which holds down the latch bar. Then press down alternating preset keys to get abrupt tonal changes.

What I did was a kind of variation of this. I used to play Won't Get Fooled Again on organ, and got the gating effect by holding down cancel and rhythmically playing a preset key. That way your right hand doesn't have to lift and the gated sound is much more clean because all notes of the chord are attacking and releasing at exactly the same time.

Moe

---

Are there other good examples of this I should check out?

"Glass" on the album "As One" (see from 1:42):

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSeIIp35XnM

"Come in and Pray" on the album "Sweet Science":

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQ75t4HWXI

"Crying Time" live with John Scofield & Greg Hutchinson (starts at 18:35; you can hear this technique at 19:08-19:45, and 20:53-21:53, and you can see it clearly at 21:23-21:35). I really like the outro of this track, which is a soulful and funky 5-minute jam starting at 22:50.

Dr. Al Kooper showed this technique to me when we (Korg) were developing the CX3 V2 in the early 2000s. He said alternating between the Eb and Gb presets was a classic Reggae Wah effect that was taught to him.

Jerry

Is there anyway to replicate this on the actual Korg CX3?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Dr. Al Kooper showed this technique to me when we (Korg) were developing the CX3 V2 in the early 2000s. He said alternating between the Eb and Gb presets was a classic Reggae Wah effect that was taught to him.

Jerry

That's a great question. I sold my CX3 several years ago. I would've answered that this technique isn't possible on any clonewheel without the preset keys, but of all clones without preset keys, the CX3 seems like it might be possible. It had the two sets of drawbars and the "EX mode" to create new a different soundscapes with the drawbars. Perhaps that functionality could be leveraged to replicate this technique.

Jerry

That's a great question. I sold my CX3 several years ago. I would've answered that this technique isn't possible on any clonewheel without the preset keys, but of all clones without preset keys, the CX3 seems like it might be possible. It had the two sets of drawbars and the "EX mode" to create new a different soundscapes with the drawbars. Perhaps that functionality could be leveraged to replicate this technique.

Wonder if alternating the two Drawbar 1/Drawbar 2 buttons, with different registrations each would sound similar as the hammond...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Jerry

Sadly no. We were working at SIR NY, with his favorite rental B3/Leslie so we could try to match its timbres etc. for his presets. So he was showing me on the real thing. The CX3 has no morph feature. which would be needed to replicate the effect.

Jerry

This would be a "poor man's substitute" since it would be a hard switch. Close, but not quite accurate. When you slowly press the preset keys you hear each drawbar contact trigger, in much the same way that the keys behave when you slowly depress them. So the subtle, but constant variations in the sound switching aren't there. But you might still enjoy the effect.

Jerry

Jerry

Wonder if alternating the two Drawbar 1/Drawbar 2 buttons, with different registrations each would sound similar as the hammond...

One can certainly pull drawbars in and out while playing to achieve the wah effect. I've seen vids of Chester Thompson and John Medeski doing it.

If you manipulate the drawbars *really* skilfully, you can literally make a Hammond organ talk. :)

See also: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/08/03/manual-vocoding-on-a-hammond-organ/