Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Wrap-up, 2019 edition. How was your year?

skipclone 1

It's that time again already, to sum things up for the year.

For me, this year started out with a big advantage. It's not last year.

last year was not good.

My work situation still sucks. I can't afford to fly back home.

Homesickness is on the way to becoming a physical condition.

I started a GoFundMe campaign, a lot of friends stepped forward to help but it wasn't enough to cover my trip.

Now I feel like I shouldn't have started it.

I lost a longtime acquaintance and fellow martial arts person early in the year, but everyone else managed to stay alive.

Creatively, I've been doing more things away from guitar. I'm still playing but, just not feeling like playing out-I'm sure that will change. Eventually.

I'm keen to get into the studio over winter break. Recently a friend tried to hook me up with a voice acting gig. The client couldn't decide who

they wanted. But I got inspired, wrote a short script and recorded myself playing half a dozen characters. Based on my contact's comments and a bit

of reading, it's just like doing a music demo. Everything has to be professionally recorded. That is not a number one priority but, I'll try and fit it in.

I'm working on a song as well.

We are still doing our stage shows. Our usual show is adults only but, this year we tried an all ages format for two very worthy charities.

Both times went well, I wrote an article about it. It will be published this week.

We are working on our third independent film. I'm not the main character but I have the most screen time, which is nice.

I think I have two scenes left, one of which is kind of the big climactic scene. We're trying to nail down a shooting date.

Last week, I had my first audition for a musical theater production. It's 'Cinderella'. I did it almost as a laugh, I have no experience at all.

I can carry a tune. The person in front of me was a veteran, with some serious vocal training. My friends said, well good on you for trying.

Then the director sent a message, that I got a small role in the chorus. The show is next May.

If I can deal with the rehearsal schedule-it's a long way from my residence-then I'm in.

Re Surfergirl's recent post-stuff like this keeps me motivated....actually make that keeps me sane. Follow your muse, wherever it leads.

For a band, do something kool as a group.

The Olympics will come to Tokyo next year. most of us agree, that Japan is totally unprepared for the crowds, language barriers and confusion.

It will not be a good time to be in Tokyo, unless you have a ticket. A second cousin and her friends will be here.

Anyway I hope everyone has a super holiday season with lots of happiness and good people.

So....how was your year?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably isn't the best time to ask me, but here goes . . .

The year, all in all, has been a pretty good Music year. Back in March, I had a great time performing in a Massed-Guitar event at the Corcoran Gallery, mere blocks from the White House, and last month, Novparolo got to perform in a show with Thomas Dolby. My bandmate and I are going into our fourth year of playing and performing together, and, at least according to the folks who come to hear us, we're sounding better and tighter all the time.

I keep expanding on my Guitar and my Synth technique, and looking for new things to experiment with. Still looking for the 'just right' ERG, but that will have to wait. Trying out different 7- & 8-strings has led me to approach the 6-string in new ways, too, which is interesting.

Had one major expense this year that I've been paying off, but that's finally done with, so I suppose that's an accomplishment of a sort? My wife and dogs are well, our house hasn't fallen down, and even when a huge tree limb dropped into my yard Thanksgiving weekend, it fell the other way. I've managed to keep my ancient Jeep running, without heat or A/C, but running, nonetheless. Still landscaping and catering, although I much prefer working outdoors in the dirt, even when the weather has turned cold. It's . . . quieter, for one thing, just me, the plants I'm tending, the soil, and whatever wild creatures come to visit. If I can't have a Guitar in my hand, give me a trowel, or a set of pruners, and I'm good.

My indoor garden is doing well, with Orchids blooming and setting flower spikes, and my large tropicals getting their Winter rest in the basement. It's a year-round thing, I am always watering, tending, routing or feeding them. It's like bringing a bit of my outdoor work home with me, in the off-season.

For whatever reason, this holiday season has been particularly hard, sleep disturbance, lack of appetite, I've got the whole damned laundry list - sorry. This, too, shall pass, as they say, in the meantime, I get up, I make coffee, read the paper while the sun comes up, and then get to doing whatever I'm going to do that day. Sometimes, inertia is all you've got.

Looking ahead to next year, really next month, my wife and I will be celebrating 25 years of marriage, and I'll turn 65. Like the poor geek in the Talking Heads video, I have to ask myself "How did I get here?" Answers forthcoming, one hopes . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Everything went well for the wifey and I this year. We still hike the White Tank Mountain Regional Park during the winter months every Sunday. We are both relatively healthy, no debt, I got the wife on a Medicare Advantage plan, which helps a big bunch, relieving us from paying the big bucks for her health insurance.

I still play guitar every day, and at 77 years old that may not last long, although BB King played out well into his 80's. I saw him play live when he was 82 and he made that guitar sing the blues as well as ever, so there is hope for me to keep going a bit.

So 2019 was a good year for us so far. barring any serious health issues we think 2020 will be a repeat of this year.

First week in January I ended in the hospital for 4 days (first ever) but came home with no real damage. I got married again a couple days before the hospital drama. March turned 68 and now have a pretty firm target to retire this coming July. With holidays and vacation that makes it about 100 work days, so soon I will be singing a version of 99 bottles of beer! I have joined a band and started playing almost every day to toughen the fingers. With the holidays and two of the band guys getting surgery that will prevent them playing for a few weeks we only practiced once but I am happy about the band. Cabin project is done except for a deck out back a small floor in the breezeway, and a few trim pieces. Planning a May cruise to Alaska the only cruise I plan to ever do but this was a bucket list thing after hearing about the experience others have had. Very happy over all. Jim

The wife and I just celebrated our 47th anniversary up at Lake Tahoe. Had a nice room on the 14th floor with a view of the lake, snow covered mountains and the sunset. I'll be turning 70 next month and my old age issue is just starting to set in, so I have been pretty lucky. Life has been good to both of us this past year. My guitar playing has improved but I still have CRS (can't remember sh*t LOL!) when it comes to my repitoire'. I have been working too much on theory the last couple months which causes me to have chord and lyric memory issues! Late last night I [picked] up a guitar, didn't plug it in and just ran through a lot of improvisation new and old licks, scales, chords, etc., and was pleased with my growth over this past year. I only lasted about a half hour so there is still a lot more study and practice to look forward to LOL!

I hooked up with a jazz player and we exchanged some good ideas last week. We are looking forward to getting together again after the holidays next month. I can tell he will be able to teach me a lot of new ideas and add some cool leads to my jazzy cowboy stuff!

I played at a wedding a couple of weeks ago with my old buds from back in '65. We practiced once a week for about a month on 7 tunes. We were the boys from the hood LOL! Everyone liked our little 7 song set and then we turned it over to the DJ so the crowd got to dance to the new stuff...that will probably be my last gig as I'm getting more into doing my own thing at home now and avoid hauling equipment, etc. We really had a good time and the bride and groom really appreciated having us play a couple of their favorite tunes and a few of ours. It's a Family Tradition...

Anyway, life has been good so far. Looking forward to the new year. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

It's been a year of some major changes for me. I just finished my certificate program in fashion design from Honolulu CC, I will take some time off before getting my AA degree. My mother got married in September, I now have a house. It's actually costing me less because my boyfriend moved in with me and we went solar. I'll not be making any major purchases until we replace the money we borrowed from our savings to pay for the solar. We got a cash discount, we didn't finance. It's been me and my mom for 19 years so I'm having an adjustment period, but it's all good.

On the music front, after I got passed my period of frustration, every thing is good. We haven't had a lot of gigs this year but we've had fun. A couple of weddings, including, my mom's, and a few party's. We just got a party for later this month and my new stepfather is going to let us have an under 21 party, on new years eve, at his house. Just our friends, and it will be a freebie. On the purchasing side I have added a few pedals, but no major purchases. I'm going to purchase an acoustic/electric Ukulele, a Kala concert $169. at my FLMS.

Looking forward to see what next year has In-store for me.

Jenny S.

Music wise it was a creative year for me in the studio. I recorded more than 30 instrumental numbers. Towards the end of the year I realized I needed to upgrade my DAW. I upgraded my Presonus software and purchased a new Presonus Thunderbolt interface unit. I'll be getting a new Lenovo Thunderbolt ready laptop for Christmas. I'm looking forward to another good year musically.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

[font:Century Gothic]Mom died on September 6, so that kinda F-ed the whole year right there.

Musically, still haven't finished anything since September of 2015. The list of songs in progress now numbers 22; anything not finished by December 2014 isn't even being considered at this point, and I'll probably never get back to working on any of them. Still, I guess anything could happen, right?

Gig-wise, I only played 4 this year, but they all went well, especially the last one in October. I couldn't even borrow an F-up that night, and the other 2 performers on the bill did great, too.[/font]

I am gigging and it's really fun.

I made friends with an Elder of the Lummi Nation this year and he announced to his family that I am also his family, that was at a gathering this summer.

That means a great deal to me, they are lovely people and I am honored beyond words.

I've reached the point with my scalloped fingerboard FrankenStrat that I would wonder why I didn't do this decades ago. The elimination of fretboard friction and the relaxation of the left hand required has changed my voice on guitar forever. When I add in the strides I've made in controlling dynamics by using a heavy pick, turning the amp up a bit and playing softly, I feel musically rejuvinated.

There are always things to complain about or regret, life is sweet!

All my best to all y'all for 2020!! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

As I often say, I'm not manic depressive, but my life sure is. Business was the best I've ever seen from January through April, which enabled me to really load up my stock portfolio. In May I had what I expected to be minor surgery. The doctor kinda sorta forgot to tell me that I was going to look and feel like I got run over by a truck, that the bruises would last for more than two weeks, and that I would be swelled up for four months. I look and feel much better now, but some honesty would have made my recovery a lot easier. In late August my young ladyfriend and I really went out on a limb to get her two oldest daughters (15 and 16 years old) into a really good high school, just so they could get a much better education and have a hopefully much better future. The 16 year old recently dropped out of school because she fell in love with some 17 year old high school dropout low-paid loser. Her last report card showed one B and the rest were all A's. She was hoping to go to the University of Michigan medical school to become a pediatrician. Not anymore. Oh well, she's not pregnant, on drugs, or a prostitute, so it could be a lot worse. Her 15 year old sister is doing very well at school, and was just invited to join an advanced placement class. She wants to be a dermatologist, so there's still hope that I'll have a doctor in the family. Oh, I also went to Gearfest at Sweetwater in Fort Wayne, Indiana last June. I met Michael Sweet from Stryper, said hi to Steve Vai, and I got to play guitar in front of a lot of guys who were probably thinking "I can play better than him". They probably can, but I had more fun than they did, and I'm going back there in 2020.
I rock; therefore, I am.