Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drool-worthy vintage collection

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot lights and displays are on, so apparently it's all ready to go. It would just be difficult to use effectively set up like that.

The guy sure likes his Oberheims. Wow look at that stack on the left, and that's still not all of them. Not a Roland, Prophet, or Korg in sight that I can see.

Its a major prog dream for sure, but I also see a certain number of leaky batteries, dodgy capacitors and elderly power supplies potentially waiting to happen. I'm with Bill about the gear being unplayable as positioned. I hate to see anything go to waste. A Matrix-12 and Xpander together are a universe of squee! that shouldn't just sit idle. I have no idea of what the owner is thinking, though. I won't second-guess a power stack like that! He may be upgrading his studio, reducing the stack to fund a bit of college or putting part of it in more active hands. Its like having a dog. You accept a certain amount of upkeep as a given. :wacko::love:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Man, that's some loverly Oberheimage right there, man. I don't miss my Xpander very much, having sold it after 34 years while it was still fully functional to a very good home with a guy who could keep it running, but that doesn't stop me drooling a bit...

I'm also thrilled to pieces at the sight of all those lovely paddles! Because the first serious MIDI controller keyboard (that wasn't a keytar) that I ever owned was an Oberheim Xk, and I used it steadily for nearly a decade, soloing on the backwards/upside-down Obie paddles is very natural to me. I will be very curious to find out of the Boberheim UB-Xa gets them right or not.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

No half measures here. A grey meanie and a blue meanie? Yikes! :2thu:

Neither of them are meanies. Blue/grey Meanies are built in a metal enclosure, the ones in those pictures are wood enclosures with tolex covering. The "Blue" panel only looks blue because of the reflection of the light.

• 2 weeks later...