Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Remoting to stop thermal problems

my ASUS lap goes in to thermal shutdown after so many minutes on an open internet site.

What if I remote into a PC with no heat issues and use its internet browser?

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try it. But you'd be better off fixing the thermal problem. Check the fan, the fan ducting to make sure it's not full of dust and make sure the heat sink is still on. If the heat sink is still on, redo the thermal grease on the CPU. Also make sure the vents on the side are clear of any obstruction. Like don't set your laptop on thick carpet on the ground.

You could try it. But you'd be better off fixing the thermal problem. Check the fan, the fan ducting to make sure it's not full of dust and make sure the heat sink is still on. If the heat sink is still on, redo the thermal grease on the CPU. Also make sure the vents on the side are clear of any obstruction. Like don't set your laptop on thick carpet on the ground.
Yea, been through all that, this thing has always ran hot since new, what with windows 10 and all the ever more resource hungry browsers. I'm thinking this might be the least expensive option for me since I have a PC laying around here doing nothing.

Thanks for the reply

Ya, it can be processor dependent. Some just happen to run hotter than others even within the same family and type. Sure, absolutely see if RDP runs with less CPU usage and use your laptop as a terminal. I've done that for my wife's laptop so she could have full access to her desktop no matter where she was sitting in the house or where her desktop was. This wasn't for thermal reasons but for convenience reasons. Works great.

Devon

I'll eventually pull out the old beast, fire it up and see if it can handle an install of 10.

It has XP 64 in it now

I bought the G60jx lap in 2008 so it's 11, 12 years old, it didn't have any problems with

10 accept for the stupid stuff MS does, but then I installed 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

and had even less problems with it.

the old beast has an ASUS Maximus Extreme from back in 2004 or 5 but it can do 64

bit so I think it will be alright

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing that in the evenings, 7:30 on MDT and on the weekends I don't get hardly any thermal issues

makes me think it's more about activity causing my security to load down my system and heat it up.

• 1 month later...

So I loaded and ran GPU and a CPU thermal monitor apps I found online and it's My GPU that's

causing the problem, GPU can climb in to the 90's C while the CPU is in the 70's and since they

both use the same cooler I figure the CPU is getting some of the heat as well. Makes me wonder

if a remote setup will help that much now. going to have to try redoing the thermal compound

maybe add some little heatsyncs.

• 3 weeks later...

Disabled the NVIDIA driver and running on the MS basic display driver. Thermal issues are gone!

I lost my sleep options so I have to use hibernate but at least I'm not cooking steaks on it any

more. used an app to uninstall the driver, so to hell with that. other than that all is working fine.

It's still the same GPU so it's a driver issue not a hardware issue. A lot of others with the same

problems, from my searches, even with newer gear and Nvidia just ignores the problem. I only

want integrated when ever I buy new next time, enough with this crap.

RT

I'd say it's a design issue or whatever heatsink is on the video card has come loose. The video card that CAME WITH THE LAPTOP should not thermal down a laptop, period. Sure, it's possible that a driver is in a runaway loop and pushes an overheat, it's possible. I doubt that's it though. You could try the raw nVidia drivers out there too if you like. Fortunately, many CPU's come with on chip video chips now. At any rate, I've had a few laptops with nVidia chips that work just fine and do not overheat.

Devon

• 1 month later...

Oh, I found my thread,

Ok I was recommended a GPU OC App, MIS Afterburner, that can Underclock.

Gave it a shot and I'm now able to use the Nvidia driver again, only to get the

resolution I want and get my sleep option back. So for anyone in my situation

you might want to give MIS a look at.

This is always an interesting issue, especially for laptops that can be hard to work on. Over the years, it's become trickier to get good sensor data from Macs, to the point where the maker of Hardware Monitor (a really great little app) finally chose to deprecate it a few years ago. I am currently using iStat Menus and am pretty happy with it, but I would love to know why Macs Fan Control has suddenly stopped working and refuses to launch on any of my machines...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music