Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose S1 powered speaker w/ Bluetooth.

I believe this is fairly new offering from Bose. Has anyone tried one out?

I think it could fill a couple of needs for me.

* I have no Bluetooth speaker in my home and would love to play my large library of tunes

from my iPhone.

* I sometimes could use a speaker in smaller venues where my QSC K-10 + Soundcraft Mixpad is overkill and my only other option is 20 year old Roland Cube.

My experience with Bose is very pricey but delivers in the sound department, especially in those small to mid size environments.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_pa_speakers/s1_pro_system.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bose store in the Grapevine, TX had a sale on them and I picked up two. Love that they are battery powered and the Bluetooth too. Very practical and sound great too! But try to compare it to the new JBL compact. Many folks are saying the JBL are more powerful ( but bigger) if that matters to you.

I've played my first gig with this speaker. It was only employed as my vocal p.a. because the venue is an upscale small bar with a Yamaha baby grand. This was mounted on a speaker pole off to my left slightly and behind me about 3 feet. It was replacing my QSC K-10 and a Soundcraft 4 channel mixpad with effects.

After a minute of adjusting volume, bass -treble - reverb I had a sound that was clear with just enough low end

and a small amount of reverb. The main thing I discovered is that I get a better vocal sound with the Tone Match settings off, running it Flat and adjusting bass and treble. I did not care for the dedicated Mic setting. Not enough body and not pleasing to my ears. I use a Shure Beta 57.

The reverb is pretty basic and I just used a pinch. I may end up using the Soundcraft mixer with it more because the effects are better and varied and I have more tone controls easily accessible with the mixer next to me.

But I wanted to see what it could do as a 1 piece small p.a. I liked it and will be trying it out with my Casio PX S-3000 at my regular Tuesday night restaurant gig. I expect it to work well. My Yamaha P-125 practice piano sounded fine when I tried it in my living room.

And as a Bluetooth speaker to play music from my iPhone, it is wonderful. I'll be carrying this back and forth from house to job unless at some point I spring for a second one.

The new JBL Eon One Compact looks like a viable alternative for more volume and bass, and slightly less money. It also has phantom power and more mixer capabilities? But it's a traditional speaker, none of the line array configuration of multiple tweeters.

If you don't need the battery option, I'd also give a look at the Turbosound IP300, which goes for $500, less if you look around. It pushes more watts and has two 6.5" speakers, so the volume and bass are even better than the JBL. It stands tall at 28", so in some settings it wouldn't even need a stand. With the four 2" speakers splayed at different angles you get a sound that disperses well. The SW reviews have a lot of praise for it.

Battery power is not that hard to come by if you're using modest speakers like the IP300. I bought a 250WH (watt hour) lithium ion battery with a 300 watt sine wave inverter for under $200 off of Amazon. Was surprised to find it powered my keyboard with 66 watt on-board speakers AND a QSC K8.2 or K10 for about 3 hours at moderate to loud volume.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB