Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 " or 12" Mains ?

Hi,

I am using a pair of Electro Voice 12" ZLX and EKL 18" subs. One of the 12" seems to have blown out, and it does not seem cost effective to have it repaired. So I'm figuring I should upgrade to something better anyways. The subs are fine, I'm just looking to replace the 12" ZLX.

I thought maybe 10" speakers would be more versatile. For the weddings and quinceanera I could use 10" paired with the 18'" subs and for smaller house parties and restaurants maybe 10" would be enough? Also 10" would be more practical when I play with bands and need to bring my own amplification.

I mostly do Latin (cumbia, salsa, merengue, reggaeton, ) which is pretty bass heavy. All keyboard driven (drums and bass tracks) with a live percussionist,, sax player, and vocals. Recorded Hip -Hop line dancing stuff is usually played on the breaks. Crowds of 100-300. Mostly in door venues but a few outdoor events too.

Could 10" mains with the 18" subs cut it for my bigger/louder gigs?

I don't want to spend more than 2K. Any recommendations?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger woofers are not really about lower frequency response - it's more about volume.

Not only would 10" mains be good with an 18" sub, I would think they might even be better than 12" (depending on how you handle the crossover) in the size venues you're talking about.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Did u investigate the issue with the zlx12? It might not be that expensive to fix. Id investigate the cause of the issue before dumping money into something that probably isnt going to sound a whole lot better.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Did u investigate the issue with the zlx12? It might not be that expensive to fix. Id investigate the cause of the issue before dumping money into something that probably isnt going to sound a whole lot better.

Unfortunately It"s a year out of warranty. I bought it to a repairman here in Dallas, He thought he could fix it but it didn"t seem cost-effective, almost the same price to repair it as buy a new one. ð

Besides the EV ZLX is their entry level speaker. My budget could get me a up to a middle of line or maybe top of the line speaker, right? Wouldn"t a hire line of speaker sound better?

But yes, thanks for watching out for my money. My wife would appreciate that very much!

Recorded Hip -Hop line dancing stuff is usually played on the breaks. Crowds of 100-300. Mostly in door venues but a few outdoor events too.

Could 10" mains with the 18" subs cut it for my bigger/louder gigs?

This part of the post would make me hesitant to go smaller than 12. Given the material, you're really going to need the extra oomph they provide in the lower mids for crowds that size.

This is just anecdotal, but the most common configuration I run into for bands and DJs playing rooms your size are 12" two-ways over 18s. I wouldn't buck the trend, but would be happy to hear comments from those who use 10" tops if they've been working out for you.

Everyone wants to go small if they can get away with it - including me.

Another thing to consider is the dispersion pattern of the horn. I only mention that because the QSC's have different patterns between the 8, 10, and 12 versions. Don't know about EV or other brands, but make sure it's appropriate for the coverage you'll need.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This is just anecdotal, but the most common configuration I run into for bands and DJs playing rooms your size are 12" two-ways over 18s. I wouldn't buck the trend, but would be happy to hear comments from those who use 10" tops if they've been working out for you.

Yes, Bill 12"s seem to be the standard around here too.

I prefer 10s to 12s for the mid bass range. I find them clearer and less muddy.
:yeahthat:

If you are supporting them with subs, they can sound excellent. Make sure you are removing the lows from the 10s and only send them to the subs.

Agreed fully - hence my previous comment about the crossover.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: