Print Thread
Do you have an actual mic locker? #3019330 12/12/19 10:21 PM
Joe Muscara Offline OP
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
OP Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
The term "mic locker" gets written a lot, but what do you have, home studio owner? Where do you keep your mics?

I don't have many mics, some came with cases and some didn't. I keep them all in cases, as I bought a couple of inexpensive handgun cases from a sporting goods store for those that didn't. As far as where I keep these, they're all on the top shelf except when in use.

I'm wondering if there are some better ideas out there for storing these audio transducers.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Do you have an actual mic locker? [Re: Joe Muscara] #3019333 12/12/19 11:07 PM
Mike Rivers Offline
I keep my mics in a closet in the studio room, in their boxes, bags, or reasonable facsimile thereof. Since I rarely do in-house sessions any more, I don't worry about a client walking away with a mic, but over the years, I've lost two mics on stage at festivals, a Fostex RP-55 (kind of an oddball) and a Sennheiser MD-421. I have more of each but I really miss having the third 421.

Maybe, instead of a locker, I need a mic bulldog for when I bring my own mics out to a festival.

Re: Do you have an actual mic locker? [Re: Joe Muscara] #3019391 12/13/19 05:20 PM
KuruPrionz Online Content
Gold Member
Online Content
Gold Member
I don't have a mic locker.
I have maybe a dozen mics. At least 2 or 3 of them could just disappear and I might not notice for quite some time.
Another 2 stay in my gig bag, I use them for live work. One is a backup. We play 3 nights a week often so I try to keep things handy.

Small and relatively humble project studio at home. A couple of mics stay on stands, ready to go.
I put the mic bag over them when not in use.

They are not in peril from pets or other humans.

So there isn't much storage needed. I have a drawer with mics and other audio odds and ends.
It's as good as I need for now.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Do you have an actual mic locker? [Re: Joe Muscara] #3019423 12/13/19 08:20 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I do, in fact, have a mic locker. There's a cabinet with shelves in my house that my wife had built outside my studio. It sits over a chest of drawers wbhich she also had built for me to put cables, pedals and other miscellaneous studio stuff in. Works pretty well... thu

dB

Re: Do you have an actual mic locker? [Re: Dave Bryce] #3019445 12/13/19 11:13 PM
Mike Rivers Offline
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
I do, in fact, have a mic locker.

Does it have a lock? Or at least a place for one?

When I think of "locker" I think of those metal things side-by-side, with a door, a shelf, and a coat hook that lined the hallways in my schools. You had to bring your own lock so your lunch wouldn't get stolen.

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay